Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
  • Movie
Marvel Cinematic Universe
  • OK well seeing as nobody seems to be talking about Iron Man 3 or Thor: The Dark World, I figure I may as well.

I've already made arrangements for two trips to see Iron Man 3 (once with college buddies, once with hometown buddies, and I'll probably go once more with family) and I'm really looking forward to it. This could potentially be RDJ's last movie as Stark (though I doubt it), and they've wisely made the decision to keep the extraneous crossover characters out of it, so Rhodey and Happy should get more of a look-in.

They've also just started filming on Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and at the moment I'm not sure what to expect. The film is set in the present day and is described as a "political thriller", and has cast Robert Redford as a high-ranking SHIELD official. There are some set photos of Cap in his new costume, and they also released concept art.
    Display Spoiler

Cap seems to have gone back somewhat to his old WW2 look, but with different colors:

And Black Widow is looking somewhat less glamorous and more serious:

And for the concept art...
    How Anthony Mackie will look as Falcon:

How Sebastian Stan will look as The Winter Soldier:

Also...

THE THOR 2 TRAILER IS HERE

In conclusion: !

The post was edited 3 times, last by ibLeo ().

• LOL, I just realized Thor will be forced into a darkened prison to visit a jailed, monstrous but intellectual psychopath (who taunts and sneers at him) in order to ask for his help taking down an even worse monster... in a movie that features Anthony Hopkins. Heck, Loki even seems to have a bottle of wine in his cell!

The post was edited 1 time, last by ibLeo ().

• I can't wait to see Iron Man 3. Doesn't get released until May 3rd, but I plan on seeing midnight showing night before. If this is Robert Downey Jr.'s last appearance as Iron Man/Tony Stark, then I believe finding another actor to replace him just won't be the same. Hell, if I ever saw RBJ in person I would refer to him has Tony Stark.

They won't get rid of him after Iron Man 3.
  • Well RDJ is almost fifty. He can't be a superhero forever (although with a mechanical suit that does all the exertion for him he could remain plausible for quite some time). Marvel has said that when the time inevitably does come when RDJ no longer wants to do Iron Man movies, they won't reboot the franchise. They plan to "James Bond it", in Feige's words.
  • Ok, well having just come back from watching Iron Man 3, at this point even I'm concerned about whether RDJ will be back. For anyone planning to watch it, I'll just say that if you're not expecting a Lethal Weapon movie with superheroes, you might be disappointed. Just letting you know, so that you're not expecting the wrong movie. I liked it, but it really wasn't what I was expecting. For example, as far as I can remember there was no AC/DC. I'll have to watch it again to figure out how I really feel about it.
  • Alright, just got in from seeing Iron Man 3, and I must say, I have very mixed thoughts on the movie. Spidey-Man's thoughts:

Display Spoiler
    The Mandarin. Now, seeing Ben Kingsly fitting in the role, I thought it was going to be a bit more epic. When Ben Kingsly character turned out to be a puppet to Aldrich Killian, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping to see The Mandarin (Ben Kingsly) to be more fleshed out, potentially weilding Extremis, not the other way around with Aldrich Killian (who really is 'The Mandarin') with the Extremis.

As well, I read up on the Extremis storyline prior to seeing this movie, and I thought it was going to be more like that, but the movie took elements of the Extremis storyline, and made it something completely different. In the comic (#1), Tony Stark gets injected with the Extremis, and he becomes more 'cyborg' and sync with the Iron Man suit, a super computer per say. I was hoping to see this, but instead at the beginning of the movie Stark puts those sensors or whatever in his body being able to call upon the suit at will. This was neat, but I was hoping to see Tony undergo a operation taking the Extremis (Which turns out to give people fire power apparently) and becoming part robotic part human, as outlined in the comic.

Extremis has been referred to as a "virus" constantly since the story. The verbatim description offered by its inventor Maya Hansen, goes: "...Extremis is a super-soldier solution. It's a bio-electronics package, fitted into a few billion graphite nanotubes and suspended in a carrier fluid. A magic bullet, like the original super-soldier serum—all fitted into a single injection. It hacks the body's repair center—the part of the brain that keeps a complete blue print of the human body. When we're injured, we refer to that area of the brain to heal properly. Extremis rewrites the repair center. In the first stage, the body essentially becomes an open wound. The normal human blueprint is being replaced with the Extremis blueprint. The brain is being told the body is wrong. Extremis protocol dictates that the subject be placed on life support and intravenously fed nutrients at this point. For the next two or three days, the patient remains unconscious within a cocoon of scabs. (...) Extremis uses the nutrients and body mass to grow new organs. Better ones..."[9]

Effects of the Extremis process, apart from the changes specific to Tony Stark, included: greatly accelerated healing; immensely-boosted immune system; generation of "new, improved organs" (Tony's cardiovascular and respiratory systems were greatly upgraded); and, the side effect of increased aggressiveness.[10] Tony Stark had the super-powers removed from the Extremis compiler, though, effectively 'exchanging' them for the ability to interface directly with machines and his own armor; but, Mallen retained said super-powers, resulting in his high-level super-strength, super-speed, advanced invulnerability, and the abilities to breathe fire and project arcs of electricity from his hands.

Iron Man Extremis comic story-arc

The bolded parts they got right, bang on in my opinion. When Aldrich Killian was introducing Extremis to Pepper-Potts sounds about right, and the side effects were pretty accurate as well. My only vibe, or nit-pick I have is how the movie didn't really go 1:1 with the comic, and how Ben Kingsly role as The Mandarin was undermined.

Oh, and the ending (before credits) I liked. However him losing his chest piece I thought was lame, but that's just me being a fan. And it's too bad that this will be Tony Stark's last appearance in a stand-alone movie, up until the Avengers sequel.

And the post credits scene, now that was funny.

All in all, better than Iron Man 2, and just as good as Iron Man. From a comic perspective, it was a mess.

J

The post was edited 1 time, last by Spidey ().

• The post-credits scene

You know how Tony has been narrating the movie? It turns out that he was actually telling the story to someone. We see him reclining on his sofa like at a psychiatrist's office and saying how it feels good to get all that off his chest and thanking someone for being such a good listener. Camera cuts to Bruce Banner, who is asleep in a chair but starts to wake up, looking confused.

(dialog to the best of my recollection)

Stark: Are you actually ASLEEP?
    Banner: I... drifted.
    Stark: Where did I lose you?
    Banner: ...
    Stark: ...
    Banner: ...elevator in Switzerland?
    Stark: Wow. So you didn't get ANY of that?
    Banner: Tony, I'm not that kind of doctor. I don't have the...
    Stark: What, you don't have the time?
    Banner: ...temperament.

Stark then launches into another story about when he was 14 and still had a nanny. Banner rolls his eyes in exasperation and facepalms.

END SCENE

The post was edited 3 times, last by ibLeo ().

• graystripe wrote:

What was the post credit scene I didn't get to see, I went with anoying people who were like they never do things at the end and literally dragged me out of the cinema with me yelling at them....... I got a few strange looks I think people thought I was crazy.

It's Marvel. Your friends (if they are fans) should know by now that Marvel likes to throw easter eggs, or teasers, or hints after the credits role.

Display Spoiler
    I was hoping for a potential teaser for Winter Soldier or Thor 2. I did like Bruce Banner's cameo at the end, thought it was funny, and turns out he did end up staying at Stark Tower after all. :P