Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Book Thread: What are YOU reading?
    • Ooh, I had forgotten about the New Dan Brown book! I'll have to get that eventually.

I've been reading a few different things. I ordered some werewolf books and such that I'd been wanting to read and some other ones. I recently finished one called Lykaia and the follow-up called Erato. It was interestingly different with a greek-centric setting.
      I also read the old vampire story "Carmilla". It was nice to finally get around to buying it. It was rather short compared to what I imagined, but it was fun. Reminded me a lot about parts from Bram Stoker's, which makes sense.

Now I was planning on reading Salem's Lot by King :)
    • I'm reading 'Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World' by Jack Weatherford. Detailed account of the Khan's childhood an rise to power, all the political and military conflicts involved, and of course, the lovely battles in which the Mongols decimated their enemies and cut them down like the animals they hunted in the steppes. Good. Boring at times.
    • I mentioned this to Emerald Isle earlier, but my favorite book of all time, maybe, is Fair Blows the Wind by Louis L'amour.

Well, it might be tied with The Alchemist by Donna Boyd, but Fair Blows the Wind had EVERYTHING I ever wanted from a good book:

Badass dialogue.
      Action.
      Sword fights.
      Romance.
      Vengeance.
      Dismay.
      Tragedy.
      Redemption.
      Love.

I can't stress how wonderful this book is. It had a huge impact on me, my own writing, and it's still very engaging even after the tenth time.

I recommend it to everyone. Louis L'amour is a western writer for the most part, but goddamn, he shined in this book about a shipwrecked sailor who only wanted to get home, get revenge for the home that was taken from him, and just love the woman he spent his whole life fighting his demons to eventually find.

It's a masterpiece of fiction, and I love it.
      :ghirahim: :cucco: :look: :tingle: :moon:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Guinea ().

• Like the nerd I am, I got crazy about Halo. (Yes the video game series) but because my I don't have an Xbox One, and my 360 and games were sold by my mom's soon to be ex-husband, I can't really play the games.

But there are books. And they happen to be pretty good. (Mostly)

I bought and read the Cole Protocol, which is a really good book, with the badass Captain Keyes (though I think he was a lieutenant in the book) as well as an "insurrectionist" and the entirety of Gray Team.

The book itself was interesting, especially because it's set in 2535, which is four years after the Harvest Campaign. So people are kind of weirdly optimistic about the war, (though that's probably because of ONI's extensive propaganda campaigns).

I really enjoyed the book. My biggest issue was the inclusion of Thel 'Vadam in the book. But I think this is an issue with the tone of the series as a whole.

I started the Fall of Reach, which really brings home how Spartan IIs are basically just children. Especially 117s mindset is very childish at time.

Display Spoiler
      His conversation with Keyes hits home, in it he's shown to be naive and innocent in the sense that he cannot seem to comprehend that a victory can in a sense be a loss as well

My third book was a mistake, The Flood is a waste of time in my opinion because it's literally a novelization of Halo: Combat Evolved. I'd rather just play the game, thanks.
    • Nice.

Since the last time I updated here, I finished The Lies of Locke Lamora which got really good about halfway through and I ended up enjoying quite a bit by the end. I've got the second book in the series on audio lined up for sometime this year.

I've more or less committed to audiobooks as my primary form of "reading" since sitting down and actually reading is something I only have time for when on vacation. So I've got a bunch from the library lined up for this year, but since July of last year I read/listened to:

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain - not my first time reading it, but in the wake of his death I wanted to revisit it.

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders - I hadn't read any of his short stories before that I can recall so this was my first exposure to Saunders. I think there was something missed in how the book is laid out that is lost in listening to it, BUT the absolutely massive voice cast sort of captures what that experience may be like. It was one of the more odd/unconventional things I've read in awhile, but a worthwhile experience.

The North Water by Ian McGuire - I was listening to this around the same time I was watching The Terror so I was in a very "old timey mariner voyage" type space toward the end of the year. This was good in a "Jack London on steroids" kind of way.

Now I'm listening to the non-fiction The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore. Early days, but jesus the dramatic irony that starts from the get-go is brutal enough, describing how these young women relished leaving work literally glowing, before it gets to the descriptions of these poor girls' having their mouths and jaws rot away due to radium poisoning a few years later.
    • Lady Sunshine wrote:

Harry Potter 4 & Mossflower (again), and just started The Thief Lord last night.

Also excited to start The House of Many Ways this week!
      Mossflower is definitely the best Redwall book.

Funny you bring that up, too, because I'm on a Redwall kick right now. I read Salamandastron last month, and I'm currently reading Rakkety Tam. I plan to re-read Pearls of Lutra, next.

Guinea wrote:

I mentioned this to Emerald Isle earlier, but my favorite book of all time, maybe, is Fair Blows the Wind by Louis L'amour.

Well, it might be tied with The Alchemist by Donna Boyd, but Fair Blows the Wind had EVERYTHING I ever wanted from a good book:

Badass dialogue.
      Action.
      Sword fights.
      Romance.
      Vengeance.
      Dismay.
      Tragedy.
      Redemption.
      Love.

I can't stress how wonderful this book is. It had a huge impact on me, my own writing, and it's still very engaging even after the tenth time.

I recommend it to everyone. Louis L'amour is a western writer for the most part, but goddamn, he shined in this book about a shipwrecked sailor who only wanted to get home, get revenge for the home that was taken from him, and just love the woman he spent his whole life fighting his demons to eventually find.

It's a masterpiece of fiction, and I love it.
      Louis L'amour's non-Western work is definitely underrated. Some of my favorite fiction from him were his short stories about boxers. That's a subject not often covered in written fiction, so I was thrilled when I found out how many of those he wrote.

I'm published! Check out -
      THE LEGEND OF LIGHT
      Book One, The Echoes of Light, available in Paperback and on Kindle - Book 2 out late 2018
      Read the first five chapters for free
    • So, today I decided that not only will 2019 be the year of getting back into bodybuilding shape, it will also be the year of reading!

My reading preferences mostly consist of basic bitch smut involving escapist plots, fantasy, paranormal, mystery, etc, and nonfiction leadership/military books on international relations and war.

So this week I read Shadow and Night (All Souls book 2, it was alright), A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court or Thorns and Roses book 3.1, I love this entire series), and A Higher Loyalty by James Comey. This is a great book on leadership and humility, regardless of one’s politics I really like the book, Comey narrates the audio version himself, and I really liked it from cover to cover. Hearing him talk about the differences in the 3 different acting presidents he worked with was so interesting, as well as his focus on the importance of both humor and humility. We HAVE to have the confidence to laugh at ourselves, it’s so important and makes the workplace so much more fun!

Anyway after doing some apartment purging I realized I have way too many books I need to read and then pass on to others. For some ridiculous reason I still haven’t read The Looming Tower, I still have to read Leaders Eat Last, and Malcolm Gladwells Outliers. I also bought 4 books on Whitey Bulger when the court case was going down and STILL haven’t read them! Long story short I have a habit of getting a lot of books at thrift stores and I just need to read them, so 2019, here goes.