Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Book Thread: What are YOU reading?
    • I recently started reading Hermann Hesse's The Glass Bead Game. Hesse is probably better known for Siddhartha, but reading about his work I found the premise of The Glass Bead Game more appealing.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods
    • I just started reading a collection of classic fantasy short stories by the author C.L. Moore, called "Jirel of Joiry". The heroine, Jirel, is basically the first example of a heroic female character in modern fantasy. Since her stories were written between 1934 and 1939, she may have even inspired Tolkien himself when he created Eowyn!

The collection is available on Kindle, and the first story in it, "Black God's Kiss", reads like a Zelda dungeon run! The heroine descends into a dark dungeon, which emerges into an impossible landscape, encountering monsters along the way she must fend off with her sword, all to obtain a magical weapon with which to defeat the invader that conquered her castle, though not without a terrible price ...

I'd recommend it to anyone on this site! We wouldn't be here if we didn't like that kind of thing!

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • A lot of people already read this book/saw the movie awhile ago, but I just finished "The Help" on Monday. I was looking for a good audiobook and it was supposedly one of the best--and it was SUCH a good story, and especially for an audiobook it was very well done with having different voice actresses for the chapters. It was a 14 hour audiobook but I got through it in 3 days because it was so good.

I was craving some nonfiction and just started "The Road to Character." I actually thought it was written by my former boss who writes a lot about leadership and character--buuut sadly it's a different author. It's okay this one is alright, and it's all about how different experiences help us build character, what it means to have character, etc.

Usually "character" is a hard thing to pinpoint and describe because it can mean so many things, but I think this author does a really good job of defining/explaining it, and also describing ways of how to build character, in a way that makes sense to the reader. I'm at a boring part now buuut we'll see if it picks up, because I really want to like this book.

• I finally finished listening to Emma Cline's The Girls after starting it sometime in March. Didn't love it and kept ignoring it in favour of podcasts and the like, which is partially why it took so long. Eventually I jacked it up to 1.5x speed which not only helped me power through to the end, but actually made me like it a bit more since the person reading it was so. slow. (something I didn't fully realize was such a detriment until I sped it up and found it such a relief to be moving through it faster). Still, overall I found the prose overwritten and the narrative and characterization somewhat thin. Cool idea for a book, but not great execution.

I've switched over from reading Atonement to listening to the audiobook since I have more time to listen than I do to sit down and read. But I'm hoping to get some physical books read during the summer over long weekends.
    • I'm currently re-reading The Great Gatsby, although I've read it several times before & it's beloved by both my girlfriend and I. This time, I'm reading a copy that my girlfriend gave me recently. She went through and filled it with sticky notes that highlight her favorite lines and moments - as well as including cute, corny messages. It doesn't usually take me that long to read (1-2 days, maybe), but I'm trying to slow down and enjoy this great gift. :3
    • I just picked up Into the Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon's Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart by James R. Doty and Hermann Hesse's Demian: The Story of Emil Sinclair's Youth. I've long been fascinated by the literary inspiration that some BTS songs/videos take from, so I decided to actually give them a read. The songs that are inspired are Magic Shop which is inspired by... Into the Magic Shop and the Blood Sweat and Tears MV is inspired by Demian (there's also absolutely some Haruki Murakami references in some of their other music too, and as a Murakami fan this pleases me). Can't wait to get super into these books.

Also, my copy of Demian is dual language! Which is cool because I've actually been trying to improve my German, so that's a plus.
      "Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Park Jimin

\ Love Yourself /
    • I'm currently reading the Looking Glass Wars trilogy by Frank Beddor, and its spin-off the Hatter M series in five volumes (graphic novels) which takes place during part 2 of the first book in the Looking Glass triology (chapters 19 through 24). It makes more sense to me to read part 1 and part 2 of the first book in the Looking Glass Wars trilogy ("The Looking Glass Wars"), then the five Hatter M series graphic novels ("The Looking Glass Wars", "Mad With Wonder", "Nature of Wonder", "Zen of Wonder", and "Love of Wonder"), and then part 3 of the first book in the Looking Glass trilogy ("The Looking Glass Wars") followed by books 2 and 3 of the Looking Glass Wars trilogy ("Seeing Redd" and "ArchEnemy").

I read the Looking Glass Wars trilogy once years ago but it's been so long that I feel like I'm reading and discovering the books for the first time. Because I have a tight budget, I cannot afford luxury like buying novels and video games. Most of the games and books I have are gifts that were given to me by relatives or charities. When I want to read book, I have to borrow them from public library. Montreal's network of public libraries offers information about the 56 libraries across the island of Montreal as well as access to the online Nelligan catalogue. With my local library I have acess to a network of 45 public libraries in Montreal. I have acess to literally dozens of thousands of good novels and can put them on hold and read anything I want. Thank God for public libraries, where low-income people can borrow books, CDs, DVDs, video games, computer games, etc, for free. So I put all eight volumes on hold and I'm currently reading them. Those three novels and five graphic novels won several awards. And the three novels and their author are on the New York Times Best Selling books and authors list.

Novels and graphic novels, synopses:

"Hatter M. series, volume 1: The Looking Glass Wars

Put to rest any delusion or disinformation you have of the tea-guzzling madman of faux literary history and prepare toexpand your consciousness as the saga of Hatter Madigan and his relentless search for the post Princess of Wonderland unfold in volume 1 of the Hatter M graphic novel series! In Frank Beddor's bestselling The Looking Glass Wars, Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan was ordered by Queen Genevieve to take Princess Alyss and leave Wonderland after a bloody coup staged by the murderous Redd. But while escaping through the Pool of Tears (the portal connecting Wonderland to our world) crushing centrifugal force pulled them apart, and Alyss was lost. In this first volume of the geo-graphic parallel adventure trilogy, Hatter finds himself in Paris, France in the year 1859 shockingly separated from the child he had sworn to protect. Hatter must now embark upon a non-stop quest, crisscrossing the globe for 13 years in search of his lost Princess.":

"Hatter M series, volume 2: Mad With Wonder

It's a mad, mad, mad world as Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan's maniacal quest to find Alyss continues! In volume 2, Mad With Wonder, Hatter follows the Glow from London to the battlefield of America's Civil War in search of the Princess who must some day be Queen. The America that Hatter encounters is a sprawling, wounded, boiling landscape of innocence and energy run amok. The war is tearing the country apart, yet Hatter must maintain his sanity in this maelstrom of holy rollers, child healers, prophetic snake handlers, deranged outlaws, and passionate southern belles. As Hatter searches he learns he is not the only Wonderland presence that has found its way to the Promised Land. Queen Redd's Black Imagination is fueling the Civil War and threatening our world with her evil!":

"Hatter M series, volume 3: The Nature of Wonder

In volume 3, the Nature of Wonder, Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan follows the Glow of the setting sun into America's wild west in search of Wonderland's lost Princess. Hatter's adventures will include a shamanic vision quest in the Grand Canyon and tracking Black Imagination through San Francisco's Barbary Coast where he discovers an astounding clue to his own haunted past.":

"Hatter M series, volume 4: Zen of Wonder

Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan’s search takes an unexpected detour when he travels within guided by a mischievous and often maddening young girl named Nekko. Nekko’s origin is a Zen mystery, but her devotion to Hatter’s quest to find the lost Princess is unwavering. After Nekko kidnaps his Hat and leads him on a fearless chase across the rooftops of 1871 San Francisco, Hatter must acknowledge her as a teacher. It is written that when you are ready the teacher will appear, but if the teacher is a 12-year-old girl and you are a High Ranking Bladesman you may discover that all you can do is laugh. Hatter and Nekko’s adventure around the ring of fire begins when they track a stolen samurai sword with a Wonderland connection to San Francisco’s styling 19th century hiphop crime madam Missy Tong and her eager protégé, the outspoken Lil’ Dick. A stowaway trip aboard a shanghai sailing ship ends on the Hawaiian Islands where a surfboard becomes Hatter’s vehicle to illumination. And then on to Japan! Good grief it’s Chikao and the gang, schoolhouse demons, cosplay, manga, noodles and a long lost brother from another world. Duality? No. Milliners.":

"Hatter M series, volume 5: Love of Wonder

In the fifth and final volume of Hatter M, looking glasses shatter as heroes and villains from Wonderland arrive to aid (or block) hatter in his quest to find Alyss. Hatter's reunion with his brother Dalton leads to an epic showdown as savior meets assassin in the struggle to control Wonderland's future.":

"The Looking Glass War trilogy, volume 1: The Looking Glass Wars

When Alyss Heart, newly orphaned heir to the Wonderland throne, flees through the Pool of Tears to escape her murderous Aunt Redd, she finds herself lost and alone in Victorian London. Befriended by an aspiring author named Lewis Carrol, Alyss tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Alyss trusts this author to tell the truth so that someone, somewhere will find her and bring her home. But he gets the story all wrong. He even spells her name incorrectly!

Fortunately, Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan knows all too well the awful truth of Alyss' story - and he's searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland, to battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

The Looking Glass Wars unabashedly challenges our Wonderland assumptions of mad tea parties, grinning Cheshire cats, and a curious little blond girl to reveal an epic battle in the endless war for Imagination.":

"The Looking Glass wars trilogy, volume 2: Seeing Redd

Alyss of Wonderland's rule has only just begun, and already those who prefer chaos to peace are threatening to destroy everything worth imagining. Trailed by newly appointed royal bodyguard Homburg Molly, Alyss is doing her best to keep pace with the non-stop demands of being queen while attempting to evade Molly for a few private moments with Dodge.

Alyss' life is a challenging mix of duty, love, and tough decisions, and then a series of phantom sightings set fire to an urban myth of Her Imperial Viciousness' return and have everyone... seeing Redd.

Has Redd somehow freed herself and her chief assassin, The Cat, from the confines of the Heart Crystal? If not, then who has resurrected Redd's brutal foot soldiers the Glass Eyes and set them loose to attack Wonderland on all sides?

Battles rage, looking glasses explode, and the Alyssians once again unite to defend White Imagination in this fast-paced follow-up to the New York Times best-selling The Looking Glass Wars.":

"The Looking Glass Wars trilogy, volume 3: ArchEnemy

Imagine this...
      The power of imagination has been lost!

Now it's all about the artillery as AD52s, crystal shooters, spikejack tumblers, and orb cannons are unleashed in a war of weapons and brute force.

As Alyss searches wildly for the solution to the disaster that has engulfed her queendom, Arch declares himself King of Wonderland. The moment is desperate enough for Alyss to travel back to London for answers, where Arch's assassins are threatening Alice Liddell and her family. But after coming to the Liddells' assistance, Alyss discovers herself trapped in a conundrum of evaporating puddles. The shimmering portals that exist to transport her home through the Pool of Tears are disappearing!

What is happening in Wonderland? Deep within the Valley of Mushroom the Caterpillar Oracles issue this prophecy: "Action shall be taken to ensure the safety of the Heart Crystal. For Everqueen." But who is Everqueen?

As the metamorphosis of Wonderland unfolds, enemies become allies, bitter rivals face off, and Queen Alyss and Redd Heart must both confront their pasts in this thrilling, no-holds-barred conclusion to the New York Times bestselling series.":

There are other books in this series, but sadly, that network of 45 Montreal public library doesn't have a single copy of them yet. I regularly check out the catalogue and should any of the public library in the network buy copies of those other volumes, I'll definitely put them on hold and read them too. Among those other volumes is a graphic novel prequel featuring a teenage Hatter Madigan ("Hatter Madigan: Ghost in the hatbox" or something like that). And a book entitled "Millinery Academy, The Official Handbook". And two other graphic novels entitled "UnderFire" and "CrossFire".

Oh God I wish I could donate money to Frank Beddor's kickstarter account because I really like the projects and wish I could fund them:

kickstarter.com/projects/14937…rs-underfire/posts?page=2

Sadly my tight budget doesn't allow me to donate money.

For those who don't already know, Kickstarter is a website that helps people raise funds for their creative projects. Because of websites like Kickstarter, creative projects and communities can become a reality. I wish I could be a part of that, but sadly I don't have the money to help fund creative projects. Or else I would've donated money to Frank Beddor's kickstarter, for a start.

The TRUE story of Wonderland:

Frank Beddor tell us how The Looking Glass Wars is the TRUE story of Wonderland

More here:

Interview with Looking Glass Wars author Frank Beddor

What you need to know about those eight volumes is that Lewis Caroll's version of Alyss' adventures in Wonderland is a big fat lie (one of many proofs of that is the deck of cards found by Frank Beddor in the British Museum and at the antiquities dealer which obviously predates Caroll's version). Alyss didn't fall down a rabbit hole and wasn't born in our world. She was born in Wonderland and is Princess Alyss Heart heir to the throne of Wonderland and was forced to flee after her evil aunt Redd killed her parents to take over the throne and was about to kill her niece next when the Queen, just before she was killed, ordered her bodyguard to flee to another world through the Pool of Tears with the Princess who was at the time 7 years old and protect her until she's old enough to return to Wonderland (which she does when she's 20 years old, 13 years later), defeat his evil aunt and take back the throne. As for Hatter Madigan he's not some freakin' tea guzzling madman. He's a royal bodyguard, an expert bladesman, a high ranking Millinery (a group of people in charge of the security of Wonderland), and a bad ass action hero. Also, he had a love relationship with a woman named Weaver and he has a teenage daughter ("Homburg" Molly Madigan) who is Princess Alyss' royal bodyguard. He would give his life to protect the queen, the princess, and his own daughter Molly, if necessary. He destroyed WILMA (Weapon of Inconceivable Loss and Massive Annihilation) and helped defeat Redd and bring peace to Wonderland.

Bibwit Harte is the Princess' tutor and he's not some freakin white rabbit. The so-called "cat of chestshire" is in fact some kind of were-cat or humanoid feline with nine lives who is usuper Queen Redd's top assassin. Reading Lewis Caroll's version a couple of years ago, I found out it just wasn't worth it. In Caroll's version all the characters are either boring, or batshit crazy. His version is full of nonsense and insanity, it looks and sounds like the ravings of a lunatic locked up in an insane asylum. And I realize now that a lot of stuff in Caroll's version was either a lie or sugar-coated. Caroll lied and turned Alyss' story into a batshit crazy sugar-coated children's fairytale, no wonder Alyss Heart was furious with him. The true story is far more dark and sinister. It's a story full of conspiracies, wars, assassinations, power struggles, battles, and love. The Looking Glass Wars has just the right amount of romance, tons of action, and it keeps you in suspense! I highly recommend it to all of you (The Looking Glass Wars trilogy and the Hatter M graphic novel series by Frank Beddor)!

I love how beautifully vulnerable and human the characters from LGW are (especially Hatter Madigan who has always been my favorite LGW character). Dodge is learning to let go of vengeance and grudges. Alyss is learning to live with her responsibilities to her people as Queen of Wonderland. Hatter Madigan is learning to be in touch with his emotions and that it's fine to be in love or to be sad. Really. You're allowed to be in love or to be sad about losing someone you love.

Hatter Madigan is a broken man who is grieving the loss of his lover/wife who was murdered, he's doing his damn best to be a good dad to his daughter Molly and to protect her, and he spent thirteen years looking for the missing Princess Alyss that he obviously has fatherly feelings for (even though he sometimes try to hide those feelings, he's not convincing or very good at it), Hatter Madigan is a beautifully vulnerable and human character (he's not the only LGW character who is beautifully vulnerable and human, but he's the one that I have always been drawn to the most, the one that moves me the most, the one I feel for the most in the books. His world is just as destroyed, perhaps even more, by what Redd has done). Hatter Madigan is a beautiful, human, and vulnerable but courageous character that I can't help but love and admire. Everything about this character of Beddor is beautiful; qualities, flaws, warts and all. I was delighted when I found out that Beddor made a series of five comic books (a prequel to the trilogy) revolving around thos character (The Hatter M. series) and that some other comic books about this character was in the making (some of them telling stories about his teenagehood). I put them on hold and borrow them from the public library, and I enjoy reading them. I'm always looking forward to knowing more about this character I love so much.

A soundtrack was made for the trilogy, I don't know if it's fanmade or not:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3EB81D4575497BD1

Here is some videos that you should watch (some of them are book trailers, others are interviews with the author Frank Beddor):

And here is some great fanfictions from FFN found in my AO3 collection (no worries, none of the ones posted here are rated M or E):

Travelling to parallel universes in "dreams", "dreams" are travel to parallel universes:

I got started on reading those eight books about two days ago and I have already uncovered enough secrets and knowledge about Wonderland to travel there myself and start my own spiritual journey in that parallel universe. I'm looking forward to meeting my spiritual guides and learning the important life lessons I can learn from that parallel universe. During a nap this afternoon I felt like my consciousness was sucked through a portal, I travelled to the parallel universe of Wonderland and participated in the Millinery Graduation Ceremony. It seems that they sometimes let people from our world volunteer to help at the Millinery Academy and in the development and prosperity of Wondertropolis and the continent. First I explored the Millinery Academy building who seemed to be ancient as if many generations of people had studied within its walls, not only did it look ancient, there was also a vibe of ancient time and mystery all over the Academy building. After that, I started working on helping with the Millinery Graduation Ceremony. I was using a photocopier and making many copies of some documentation for the graduating Millinery students (part of that documentation was the logo of the Millinery Academy and the eight tenets of the Millinery Code of Honor) and then I used a stapler to join pages of paper or similar material by driving a thin metal staple through the sheets and folding the ends. Then I took the hats that the Millinery students would receive during their graduation ceremony and add one to each pile of documentation. During the Millinery Graduation Ceremony, each Millinery student would pick up the hat that belongs to them along with the documentation on the Millinery Academy and Millinery duty. After the ceremony they would leave, turn their hats into their weapon form, and train. After that I had a conversation with Hatter Madigan and he told me about the history of the Millinery Academy.

I'm not surprised that I saw a photocopier and a stapler in Wonderland. All the inventions in our world came from Wonderland and were inspired to us by very smart Wonderlander inventors. Wonderland is the source of all the Imagination and inventions on Earth and in other parallel universes. Also, since Wonderland is the source of all Imagination on Earth, it must logically follow that all languages found here on Earth originated in Wonderland (also see the translated extracts of Hatter Madigan's journal in the first Hatter M. graphic novel).

This is how it works:

The Looking Glass Wars volume 1:

e-reading.club/chapter.php/127…e_Looking_Glass_Wars.html

"The Inventors’ Parade, the one time every year when citizens flaunted their skills and ingenuity before the queen. If Genevieve saw something in the parade that she thought particularly good, she would send it into the Heart Crystal-a thirty-three-foot-tall, fifty-two-foot-wide shimmering crystal on the palace grounds, the power source for all creation. Whatever passed into the crystal went out into the universe to inspire imaginations in other worlds. If a Wonderlander bounced in front of Queen Genevieve on a spring-operated stick with handlebars and footrests and she passed this curious invention into the crystal, before long, in one civilization or another, a pogo stick would be invented."

And this is how we were inspired to invente and create the photocopier and stapler and other such inventions here on Earth.

Tarty Tarts recipe (courtesy of Frank Beddor himself):

lookingglasswars.deviantart.com/blog/31789662/

Those Tarty Tarts look delicious and you can shape them like hearts, diamonds, spades, and clubs...

Art:

Display Spoiler

Looking Glass Wars insigna (represents the House of Hearts, the House of Diamonds, the House of Clubs, and the House of Spades):

The Millinery fighters battling the Cat, Redd's top assassin:

The Everlasting Forest:

Happy seventh birthday Alyss Heart:

Princess Alyss Heart:

Warrior Queen Alyss Heart:

Redd Heart, Alyss' evil aunt:

Queen Genevieve, Alyss' mother:

"Homburg" Molly Madigan, Hatter Madigan's teenage daughter and Princess Alyss' bodyguard:

lookingxglassxwars.proboards.com/thread/21/homburg-molly

Hatter Madigan:

The Millinery Academy:

Dodge Anders:

The Blue Caterpillar, the Queen's personal seer:

The Tuttlebird:

Heart shieldbearer:

Diamond shiledbearer:

The Jabberwocky:

The Valley of Mushrooms:

Wonderland:

Two must read redemption arcs/fanfics, this is the ending we all deserved (and my compliments to the authors):

"Legend of Zelda: Breaking the cycle", by Assassin master ezio 91 <3 :yeppers: :cheers:

"The Minish Magician", by EternalFluffy <3 :yeppers: :) :cheers:

My FFN and AO3 pages (with my favorite fandoms, fanfictions, and ships):

fanfiction.net/u/5538096/ (My favorite fanfictions are in my "favorite stories" section)

archiveofourown.org/users/dmichelle312/profile (My favorite fanfictions are bookmarked and recced)

The post was edited 26 times, last by Michelle ().

• My 52 book challenge went to shit because I started reading a book that I wasn't enjoying while also listening to a book that I didn't enjoy and my motivation got killed for a while. I'm only on 17 now but I'm gunna try and read as many as I can before the year is up.

Currently listening to Oathbringer because I wanted to reread The Stormlight Archive and reading Leviathan Wakes because I've watched some of The Expanse and really enjoyed it.
    • Spoot wrote:

I loved Wheel of Time! I tried to do another read through last year, but I found a second time was quite tough, I couldn't get past the first book.
      I do as well^^
      This is my second time, actually. I think the 9th or 10th book was the slowest one for me.
      I had forgotten a lot of it, though, so that keeps it interesting. The first time I read it, I finished it just in time for the final book to be released.