Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Street Fighter 4: "Behold the glory that is the Tanden Engine!"
    • (The Prefix is 360, buut that's just cause everyone I've spoken to plays it on there. Of course, that doesn't make your opinion or experience any less valid, it just means you might not be able to play with us)

Hi!

So since there's sort of a hidden community for this game, I thought I'd make a thread and uh... make it so people are more aware that there are some people who enjoy SF. I personally only picked up the game about 6 months ago(and actually started playing properly about 2) and I think it's a hell of a game, and I haven't had the... competitive-yet-no-hurt-feelings sense in a long time. It's great that I can hang out with people and have my ass kicked but it's all in good fun.

SSF4 Players

X360:
      Bravo (M. Bison)
      Keith (Juri/Akuma)
      Radek (Abel)
      Red (T. Hawk)
      Beej (Sakura/Rose)

PC:
      Quin (Blanka)

3DS:
      Janus (Guile)
      Khao (Fei Long)
      Wheatley (Ryu)

PS3:
      CaptainTMS (Dudley, Yun)
      Karma (Cammy, Ibuki)
      WillZ4E (Ryu, Vega)

iPhone:
      Totakeke (Ken)

SF4 Players

PC:
      Janus

X360:
      Bravo (M. Bison)

SSF2T HD Remix Players

X360:
      Bravo (Balrog)

SF3 3rd Strike Online Players

X360:
      Bravo (Oro, Alex)

SFxT Players

X360:
      Bravo (Rolento, M. Bison)

PC:
      Radek (Jin, King)

Just mention if you wanna be added to the list, of course.

I'm not sure what we can make of this thread, but I'm hoping we can organise games and offer advice and share tactics, that sort of thing. Or share videos, I know some people like to show off their combos and such ^.^

If you're looking for advice with starting playing, Shoryuken.com has some great advice and, while it might be a bit intimidating since it uses a lot of shorthand and abbreviations, it'll help you get much better.

What characters to you usually play with, is there anyone you're trying to pick up? etc.
      Any advice you need?

Personally, I'm pretty much maining Juri but I seem a bit too up in the air, at least today. I'm getting tighter with my combos but I always seem to forget to either use her pinwheel or her taunt, in which case it kind of declaws her.
      Though, on a whim I played with Adon again earlier, whom I haven't touched since March-ish, and he's the only person I won a match with today(against Radek) and now I'm messing about with him in Arcade to try and familiarise myself with him.

why would trump support the vikings

The post was edited 4 times, last by Keith ().

• I love Street Fighter. I wanted an SNES really badly when I was little just so I could have Street Fighter, to the point that I once had a dream about somehow playing it on our NES, only to be disappointed when I woke up.
      ....I also suck at Street Fighter. One of the 3DS version's selling points for me was being able to use the touchscreen for instant special moves. And I still get my tail kicked here and there (freaking Seth...).

And for what it's worth, I main Guile. He's awesome.

THIS MOVIE ROCKS.
    • Janus, if it's the boss battle with Seth you're talking about, then be advised: Seth is designed to teach newbies to block and punish. Certain of his special moves leave him open to counterattack if you block them, and you need to get a feel for what attack he's likely to do at what range, then stand at a range that encourages him to try using his spinning Lightning Kick attack. When you block it, you get an opportunity to counterattack before he returns to stance (i.e. his follow-through to that attack takes so long for him to return to stance that you can easily throw out any reasonably quick attack and you'll hit him before he can even defend himself. This is called "punishing").

At range, he'll likely try to Sonic Boom, stretchy punch, or jump off the wall and launch himself at you. You need to move forward cautiously because if you simply jump straight at him, he'll probably Shoryuken you. Just get yourself within a decent range and he'll usually start trying attacks that are easier to deal with. Then once you get REALLY close, he'll start panicking and doing crazy shit.

The great thing about this battle is that it not only teaches "block and punish", but it also teaches you the importance of standing at the exact range that your opponent is uncomfortable at, so that his attacks are less likely to work and you're more likely to be able to harass him.

And Raul Julia was awesome indeed. Of course, it's hard to have a depiction of Bison that's not awesomely CHEESEY (lol, see what I did there Radek?).

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bravo ().

• AHHH
      Rose
      I hate that bitch.
      I've only played against one online and it was a few consecutive matches, and I just couldn't seem to land a hit. Whenever I thought I had the upperhand, she'd awkwardly catch me in her ultra. Bleughhh -.-

Quin wrote:

So I assume PC and Xbox players can't play together then?
      Anyway, I really suck at traditional fighting games, but its fun. I main Blanka.

I don't believe so, no

The post was edited 1 time, last by Keith ().

• gargoyle wrote:

SAKUUUUURA.

I haven't played in AGES, but I do like to reflect back on that one time when I beat Radek's Abel with my Sakura. Feels good, man.

So yes, I main Sakura and/or Rose, which makes all the serious and professional Street Fighters snort and laugh out loud at me when I tell them this, but I don't care.

Why would they laugh? Sakura's quite good and I'm pretty sure a Sakura player made Top 8 at this year's EVO tourney (which is quite an accomplishment considering that absolute titans of the game like Tokido (using Akuma), Kazunoko (using Yun), Fuudo (using Fei Long), etc all failed to make it that far.

I dunno how good Rose is, though. I have no idea how to use her effectively and since I'm the guy who taught most people at my college how to play, none of them know either and so I never really face Rose.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Quin wrote:

I main Blanka.

Surprise Forward for the fuckin' win.
    • OK so for the different platforms we have:

X360:
      Me (M. Bison)
      Keith (Juri/Akuma)
      Radek (Abel)
      Red (T. Hawk)
      Beej (Sakura/Rose)

PC: (I assume)
      Quin (Blanka)

3DS:
      Janus (Guile)
      Khao (Fei Long, El Fuerte, Ryu, Ibuki)

Khao, you should probably pick a character to focus on. (Please don't be Ryu please don't be Ryu please don't be Ryu please don't be Ryu). Or at least narrow it down to two.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bravo ().

• This is almost the only game I play anymore. Recently I found a group of players in my area and have been going to events and meetups all the time just to play AE and other fighting games. Me and a couple guys from the local scene even plan to head to the next major tournament, Seasons Beatings Acension, in September.

I mostly play against people irl, but occasionally I'll jump on PSN. I main Dudley, Yun, Evil Ryu, and Ryu, though I think I'm gonna try and stick with just Dudley and Yun for a while. I'd main Yang too if he wasn't so ass.
    • Guys, is there anyway I can turn disarm Hakan? I've never hated him THIS MUCH until I came up against him in Arcade as Adon. All of my specials involve me getting in the air and every time he just blocks if necesary and pulls into his ultra 2, and I never knew just what an ass that move was until now :/

By disarm, I mean is there any universal way to fake or can you only do that with characters like Bison with the double reverse flip(?). Bahhh I just hate fighting him.
      Especially in arcade, since I've noticed he's one of the few AI who tends to have a bit of an advantage, I don't think he's EVER missed an attack and he reads me so well -.-

• Iron Man wrote:

Khao, you should probably pick a character to focus on. (Please don't be Ryu please don't be Ryu please don't be Ryu please don't be Ryu). Or at least narrow it down to two.

Fei Long's probably my favorite, so I could focus on that.

I'm kinda better with Ryu 'cause I got a lot of early practice from the download play thingy.

But I don't like being better with Ryu :P