Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    The Role Play Guild Feedback and Questions Thread
    • It does depend on the DM though. Currently most campaigns use 5e as well as homebrew rules. I know people though that like 4e. RPing in the board requires a DnD character you have in a campaign, but you are allowed to join in discussions going on like the main chat thread or make homebrew classes or whatever.

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
      Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
      Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
    • You have to be part of a campaign to submit a character. There are several ongoing ones, though it's up to individual DMs if they will accept more players. For my Monsters, I have a pretty full party.

However, for me, if I were, I'd have you pick from the classes which we don't have yet for a character. (Currently we have a cleric, a paladin, a fighter, a monk, a warlock and occasionally Tim, an artificer.) Then you would choose a race (one which works best with the character, like for example wood elves make excellent rogues due to their class features). Then you would choose a background, make a backstory for the world. Then roll 4d6 seven times and have the top 6 rolls for your stats. I use the 5e rules and do some homebrew rules ish as well. All the way to make characters themselves can be found in the 5e Players Handbook.

We also play on Saturday nights, using Skype and Roll20, so that's also something you would need to do.

Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
    • I'm not really sure what is confusing? It's not like the other two sections where you make a character on the forum. The campaigns are run off the forum, as that is where the most of the storyline is. The RPs on the forum is for filling in the cracks.

• Kurai wrote:

Foreigner55 wrote:

so can anyone just start a roleplay or are there certain rules for that.

[edit] also I still dont understand the difference between tale of worlds and tale of characters
      The answers to your questions are intertwined.
      Anyone can start a thread in Tales of Worlds at anytime. Those threads are based primarily on the world that the RP takes place in. For example, there have been Harry Potter RPs, Digimon RPs, and so on. However, you are not limited to already created worlds - you're welcome to make your own! Characters are generally created for each individual RP there. If you're thinking about starting one yourself, I highly recommend you gauge interest in whatever RP idea you have in the OoC Thread here. Additionally, make sure to put a lot of thought into the world you're creating, the kind of story you want to tell, and the kind of characters people should create for your RP.

Tales of Characters, on the other hand, requires a bit more to get into. You have to create a character and have it approved by one of the mods (Sam and Ruki). Here is some information on that process. ToC is so named because RPs there are generally concerned with advancing your individual characters' (you can have as many as you like, but start with getting one approved and in an RP or two first) stories. If you'd like an example of a character, you're welcome to look over mine (the links reading "Kreed" and "Windsor" in my signature) and there are a great deal of incredibly well-written characters throughout this place. This is a fun one written by Ruki herself, and here is Cadenza, a character written by, in my opinion, one of the best writers we've ever seen here, Altamira (don't get intimidated by that one; I know it's a lot).

As far as finding an RP, once you've created and had your character approved, you could look for someone to RP with in the OoC thread that I linked earlier, or try this.

I also recommend you look through this thread.It's a fantastic collection of writing tips and general information of the RPG. If you have any other questions, you're welcome to talk to me or the mods here, Ruki and Sam.

Hopefully that wasn't too much at once.

Sam Nornal wrote:

Alright, I'm going to try to go over everything about the Tales of Characters section.

The Tales of Characters section is different from the Tales of Worlds section in a number of ways, the main one being Character approval. As you're aware, in the Tales of Worlds section, DMs create roleplays and set up the rules for character approvals in those RPs. In the Tales of Characters section, you first build a character and post them for approval in the Characters & Resources section. Then they will go into a usually slightly in depth approval process. Unlike the Tales of Worlds section, character approvals in Tales of Characters come either one of the two mods, Ruki and myself, or Drammor, our third character approver.

Characters in the Tales of Characters tend to follow the set-up in the Profile Creation Manual (the second post in particular). For the most part, approval just consists of characters being balanced in terms of their powers in some way. For example, if somebody submitted a character that had the ability to "win any fight automatically", we'd ask that that be edited out prior to approving.

Once a character is approved, the RPer (you, in this example) would make a post with a link to the character's thread in the Character Directory.

With an approved character in the Directory, you're able to use that character in the Tales of Characters section. The real difference between the two sections is the focus and a bit of the structure. To give an example, let's go with your character in Kingdom of Clockwork, Jens. In the Tales of Worlds section, the entirety of Jens' story is told in one thread, the Kingdom of Clockwork RP thread to be exact.

In Tales of Characters, a hypothetical version of Jens might do an RP in his homeworld of Clockwork Hyrule with somebody interested, some other character. But then once that RP is done and finished, this version of Jens might get dragged by the machinations of The Dome to some other world, like a version of Earth where he runs into one of my characters, Kevyn Miller, and a whole new RP happens there, and so on and so on. In the Tales of Worlds, there's one world, one RP, and the characters built for it. In the Tales of Characters, there's characters that go on multiple adventures, usually through different, multiple worlds and RPs.

If there's anything I can help clarify, feel free to ask.

Kurai wrote:

Foreigner55 wrote:

so can anyone just start a roleplay or are there certain rules for that.

[edit] also I still dont understand the difference between tale of worlds and tale of characters
      The answers to your questions are intertwined.
      Anyone can start a thread in Tales of Worlds at anytime. Those threads are based primarily on the world that the RP takes place in. For example, there have been Harry Potter RPs, Digimon RPs, and so on. However, you are not limited to already created worlds - you're welcome to make your own! Characters are generally created for each individual RP there. If you're thinking about starting one yourself, I highly recommend you gauge interest in whatever RP idea you have in the OoC Thread here. Additionally, make sure to put a lot of thought into the world you're creating, the kind of story you want to tell, and the kind of characters people should create for your RP.

Tales of Characters, on the other hand, requires a bit more to get into. You have to create a character and have it approved by one of the mods (Sam and Ruki). Here is some information on that process. ToC is so named because RPs there are generally concerned with advancing your individual characters' (you can have as many as you like, but start with getting one approved and in an RP or two first) stories. If you'd like an example of a character, you're welcome to look over mine (the links reading "Kreed" and "Windsor" in my signature) and there are a great deal of incredibly well-written characters throughout this place. This is a fun one written by Ruki herself, and here is Cadenza, a character written by, in my opinion, one of the best writers we've ever seen here, Altamira (don't get intimidated by that one; I know it's a lot).

As far as finding an RP, once you've created and had your character approved, you could look for someone to RP with in the OoC thread that I linked earlier, or try this.

I also recommend you look through this thread.It's a fantastic collection of writing tips and general information of the RPG. If you have any other questions, you're welcome to talk to me or the mods here, Ruki and Sam.

Hopefully that wasn't too much at once.

Sam Nornal wrote:

Alright, I'm going to try to go over everything about the Tales of Characters section.

The Tales of Characters section is different from the Tales of Worlds section in a number of ways, the main one being Character approval. As you're aware, in the Tales of Worlds section, DMs create roleplays and set up the rules for character approvals in those RPs. In the Tales of Characters section, you first build a character and post them for approval in the Characters & Resources section. Then they will go into a usually slightly in depth approval process. Unlike the Tales of Worlds section, character approvals in Tales of Characters come either one of the two mods, Ruki and myself, or Drammor, our third character approver.

Characters in the Tales of Characters tend to follow the set-up in the Profile Creation Manual (the second post in particular). For the most part, approval just consists of characters being balanced in terms of their powers in some way. For example, if somebody submitted a character that had the ability to "win any fight automatically", we'd ask that that be edited out prior to approving.

Once a character is approved, the RPer (you, in this example) would make a post with a link to the character's thread in the Character Directory.

With an approved character in the Directory, you're able to use that character in the Tales of Characters section. The real difference between the two sections is the focus and a bit of the structure. To give an example, let's go with your character in Kingdom of Clockwork, Jens. In the Tales of Worlds section, the entirety of Jens' story is told in one thread, the Kingdom of Clockwork RP thread to be exact.

In Tales of Characters, a hypothetical version of Jens might do an RP in his homeworld of Clockwork Hyrule with somebody interested, some other character. But then once that RP is done and finished, this version of Jens might get dragged by the machinations of The Dome to some other world, like a version of Earth where he runs into one of my characters, Kevyn Miller, and a whole new RP happens there, and so on and so on. In the Tales of Worlds, there's one world, one RP, and the characters built for it. In the Tales of Characters, there's characters that go on multiple adventures, usually through different, multiple worlds and RPs.

If there's anything I can help clarify, feel free to ask.