Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Your Preferred Strategy Guide Brand
    • Hey guys, I'm sure many of you use online guides and walkthroughs for your gaming needs.
      However, I also could guess that some of you may prefer the physical and extensive strategy guides.
      There are many different brands of strategy guides made by different companies.
      My question to you is, what brand, website, or company do you use most for your strategy guiding needs?
      What do you like most about their strategy guides, as this is perhaps the primary reason for purchase.

I personally prefer Brady Games' Signature Series of guides as well as Prima's strategy guides.
      The signature series typically contain every little detail of everything in a game and come with unique things.
      These unique things are often posters, stickers, DLC, artwork, and special interviews, but are very expensive.
      Nintendo Power wrote a 100 page guide whereas Brady Games' Signature Series was 300 pages on the same game.
      However, I'm not a fan of Brady Games' regular guides, which are almost identical to Nintendo Powers'.
      Prima often makes guides for exclusive or extremely popular games such as Metroid Prime Trilogy.
      Their guides also contain goodies sometimes, but whilst being at a reasonable length in pages.
      Also, their guides can be really unique, containing information from more than one game or developer info.
      I'm not a fan of Nintendo Power, as in my experience, they contain wrong information at times.
      Also, guides from brands like Nintendo Power aren't very vast in information and only give you tip of the iceberg information.
    • cloneofshadow wrote:

People still buy strategy guides when we have sites like Youtube and GameFaqs? Other then the pictures and stuff they may contain its worthless.

Sepharos wrote:

Hey guys, I'm sure many of you use online guides and walkthroughs for your gaming needs. My question to you is, what brand, website, or company do you use most for your strategy guiding needs?

I use IGN guides. I try not to use guides personally since it makes finishing a game a hell of a lot less satisfying for me and it feels like I wasted my money. I'll only really use it when I'm stuck on one particular point in a game, whether it be needing a strategy to take down someone or figuring out how the pieces of the puzzle fit together, or maybe I'm just downright lost and don't know where to find the next quest. IGN tend to have really organised guides in which you can pinpoint where you're up to and read what you need to do and close it. They do a good job at keeping spoilers out and they use hundreds of screenshots to make everything easier.

The other main uh... "guide" I use is a wiki. I started with Fallout Wiki, simply because it has such a wealth of information and I could spend 10 minutes at a time just reading up on weapons and quests; completely forgetting why I originally went to the wiki. They aren't always incredibly useful, especially if it's an unpopular game, but RPGs like Fallout, Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc. tend to have really detailed and useful wikis : )
    • GameFAQs and Gamespot mostly. (or sometimes even just Let's Plays) I dont buy guides anymore and havent for years. The last guide i bought was for Fire Emblem Sacred Stones and i got it mostly for the art work in it anyway.

Badges and Awards

Voted: Coolest Member, Most Likely To Win The Lottery, Most Likely To Take Over The World, Best at GIFs, and Could be Related To [Moriquendi] in Farore Awards.