• Currently watching:

Dororo
      Mob Psycho Season 2
      Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Golden Wind
      The Promised Neverland

Dropped but may watch later:
      Boogiepop

Considering watching:
      Kaguya-sama (the little bit I've watched however, the narration gets on my nerves)
      Join the League of People who Appreciate TP

zeldauniverse.net/forums/group…te-twilight-princess.html

The post was edited 1 time, last by darkbeastganon ().

• I've been watching That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime, and I'm really enjoying it, so much so that I picked up the Manga and finished what was released in three days. And I must say the art in the manga is beautiful.

As far as isekai, it's basically what you would get if you took a JRPG like Dragon Quest and mixed it with a 4x like Civilization.

Rimuru is going for all the victory conditions my dude and I can't wait to see him succeed.

Another Isekai that I picked up is The Rising of the Shield Hero, I like the anime but the slavery aspect gave me pause. I'm of the opinion that slavery, regardless of circumstances is morally reprehensible (not an unpopular opinion I know) so it's really hard to cheer for the main character.

I might pick up the manga though.
    • Yeah, but you can tell the main character doesn't like it either. Even someone as dedicated to him and innocent as Raphtalia couldn't be trusted without something like that though. They make a pretty big deal of it when the seal is broken and he feels like he can't trust anyone in that world anymore.

Its also a fun way to see how far up their own ass the other heroes are when they get on his case for owning a slave, but don't say a word to the king and princess that legalized it in the first place.
    • Dybia wrote:

Yeah, but you can tell the main character doesn't like it either. Even someone as dedicated to him and innocent as Raphtalia couldn't be trusted without something like that though. They make a pretty big deal of it when the seal is broken and he feels like he can't trust anyone in that world anymore.

Its also a fun way to see how far up their own ass the other heroes are when they get on his case for owning a slave, but don't say a word to the king and princess that legalized it in the first place.
      True enough. The hypocrisy of the nobility in the setting is pretty nauseating. I imagine the vast majority of them even own slaves lol.
    • Mozly Alice wrote:

Dybia wrote:

Yeah, but you can tell the main character doesn't like it either. Even someone as dedicated to him and innocent as Raphtalia couldn't be trusted without something like that though. They make a pretty big deal of it when the seal is broken and he feels like he can't trust anyone in that world anymore.

True enough. The hypocrisy of the nobility in the setting is pretty nauseating. I imagine the vast majority of them even own slaves lol.
      Funny enough not all of them, Its mostly the King and Princess Myne...and the church. The queen and the second princess are fine. They just aren't around because the queen is dealing with the political disaster caused by her husband being an idiot and listening to Myne and summoning all 4 heroes to their country. Each country is supposed to get one hero who forms a party and defends that country. The queen comes in eventually and tries to make everything up to the MC, and does as good a job as she could.
    • So, there's a Humble Bundle for Manga published by Kodansha on right now, which has some standouts like Land of the Lustrous, Mushishi, and Battle Angel Alita.

Because of this I've now read the first five volumes of Land of the Lustrous and it's really good! The art makes gorgeous use of negative space and the imagery is just so striking. It's not perfect, I had trouble tracking what was going on in the first volume (I either got better at it or the art shifted in the later ones, not sure which) and the characters can be hard to tell apart, but it's just so memorable!

The plot is also real solid, a character-driven drama about loss and self-worth. The setting is...unclear, but the story follows a group of living mineral-people (Jade, Diamond, Cinnabar, etc.) who are hunted by beings from the moons that orbit their planet. The protagonist is Phosphophyllite ("Phos"), a soft and brittle mineral who desperately wants to be useful, but who doesn't have any real talents of use in fighting off attacks or surviving. Her struggle to find a purpose in life and some self-respect is compelling. The other minerals are also interesting, with many of them showing a great deal of depth that you wouldn't necessarily expect from the first impressions.

While I'd call it a character-driven drama so far, there's also some fairly compelling mysteries and questions.

I can't, off-hand think of any other series really like this one. Closest I can think of would be Madoka Magica, which has some similar themes and also makes striking use of visuals to emphasize things, but the two aren't exactly the same, either.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Figured out what other work Land of the Lustrous really reminded me of, Haibane Renmei, one of my all-time favourites. Both start off fairly cheerful and have a story about a young person trying to find their place in the world, before events lead to emotional turmoil for them and their friends. Lustrous is much more action-based to Haibane Renmei's slice-of-life, but tonally there's a lot of similarities there so far. Which means that if I stick with Lustrous it'll probably leave me in tears...

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • Been watching Mob Psycho 100 II and up until this week's episode it's been really really good. I was especially surprised by how much they were able to cover in the first episode of the season without it feeling like it was going at a breakneck pace. But I can't say the same for the arc they just covered. I'm sure a lot of comes down to my personal bias because that arc is my favorite from the manga so I had high hopes for it, but man a lot of content was cut. I guess broadly the execution changed from show don't tell to a lot showing and telling at the same time. It really lessened the impact of the reveal that Mogami had been tormenting Mob for what felt like 6 months. Some other changes impacted characterization, particularly Minori and Mogami's but also robbed Mob a bit I would say. There was also cutting the scene where the cat Mob had been taking care of was killed which beyond being emotional impactful was also a pretty symbolic one. At the very least the animation was absolutely phenomenal, and not just with the fight scene. A lot of the transitions and framing in the build up were well done despite the speed and I think the anime managed to more smoothly guide itself into the next arc than the manga did.

If it were possible I wish the season could have had one more episode for this arc. Bones has done a really good job so far at being a faithful adaptation that had previously only made changes that helped the overall flow of the story so this was kind of shocking. I get the impression that people who have only seen the anime are pretty satisfied though so at least that.
    • One Piece has become almost unbearable to watch. I love the anime but holy crap, the way they stretch episodes is absolutely shameless sometimes.

Dressrosa especially. Four times the same clip of Pica approaching in one episode.
      Bellamy bounced around for like 25 episodes. This would be almost forgivable if they just took away the focus from that fight entirely, but instead they kept showing a 30 second clip of the fight every episode, which made it feel as if the windup for a single punch actually went on for several hours