Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Animé/Manga Thread: The age of 5-minute shows has dawned upon us
    • animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018…character-designs/.139344

So, the premise of Ikuhara's (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mawaru Penguindrum, Yurikuma Arashi) new anime has been announced.

And yep, this sure is what you'd get from Ikuhara collaborating with these people after the year 2010. :P

I'll confess to apprehension with this one. Ikuhara has a reputation of being a strong advocate for queer rights in his projects, and this is totally true. But projects he's on tend to be kinder to lesbian relationships than male/male ones. He's not...unkind, but I can't think of any official male couples in a work he's been involved in that don't end up dead or similarly unhappy by the end. It's not ubiquitous, exactly (I...actually can't think of any male couples in his work post-Utena, though my memories of Penguindrum are somewhat fuzzy) but it's not a great trend to notice. He's also, traditionally, pretty down on most forms of "masculinity". Utena portrays several forms of it as a force of evil (I mean, he doesn't say "all men are garbage", more "toxic masculinity is toxic") and Penguindrum has the traditionally masculine hero ultimately be, well, heroic, but clearly likes the more timid/cowardly/inept one more. This premise has all the main characters be male.

I...really hope he got involved with this project as a recognition of his biases, because otherwise this could go...real bad.

Of course, he's also part of a team here, and I'm not too worried, I think this will probably work out fine, but part of me is still going "This could go so wrong so easily..."

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • I finally got around to watching season 2 of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's my guilty pleasure show. I enjoy watching it, but from a critical standpoint I think it's literal garbage.

Also watched the first season of Castlevania, and GUYS IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED CASTLEVANIA, WATCH IT.

Also also finally watched last week's episode of JoJo and there's no torTURE DANCE HAHAAAA
    • Welp, gone back to Penguindrum after having not watched it for a half-dozen years. Now that I'm significantly more familiar with the works of the people involved and their brand of surrealism. It's been long enough that I only really remember the plot outlines, not the events, and it turns out I'd forgotten a fair few things even from the first two episodes. I remember enough, however, to find myself going "How dare!" to the first episode many times. Lots of foreshadowing and ironic statements there. :P

I'm watching the official Blu-Ray release, and I'd completely forgotten that the subtitler, at least in the first episode, had this bizarre obsession with footnotes. Some of them are innocuous, just odd ("Note: This is a parody of [name of actual aquarium]" or "Note: ['VT' means] Ventricular Tachycardia". Why are you telling me these things?) but one of them is real weird. So, we have a scene with two kids talking about...something. And the subtitles say, and I'm only lightly paraphrasing here, "Note: [They're] discussing Night on the Galactic Railroad, which apparently ties into the show thematically later on." "Apparently"? You're the official subtitles, how...how do you not know? I mean, yes, this was streamed, so presumably they were writing them one episode at a time, but you'd think for the BD release they might've cleaned that up. (I mean, I can confirm that their conversation touches on a lot of things that do become important later, it's just...such a bizarre footnote. Especially because we're watching the show. If it does tie in later then we'll see that ourselves, if it doesn't then this footnote makes you look like a bit of a numpty. Why not just say "They're discussing Night on the Galactic Railroad" and leave it at that?).

The animation's still as bright and colourful and great as I remember it, though, and so far the plotting's been solid, despite still being in the "throw all the strange things at the viewer at once to get their attention, we'll explain it later" phase.

The post was edited 2 times, last by John ().

• The Slime isekai seems to be going a bit slowly to me, but I won't rule out a potential cause of that perception being my poor memory. I had just thought they'd reach the point they're currently at closer to episode 5-6. Maybe 7, but they're up to 9.

That said, I likely won't mind much in the long run so long as the ending in a few months is in a good spot.
    • So, Netflix has announced that they have worldwide streaming rights for Neon Genesis Evangelion and will be putting it online in the spring:

This will be the first HD release of it in NA, the first HD release of it in English, the first legal way to stream it, and the first time it's been legally available in NA in almost two decades.

But I'm still kinda worried? Because it's Netflix, so it seems likely that they won't do a physical release. I mean, they do sometimes, but it's very rare.

Also, Twitter is going nuts with people who are excited and people who have nothing better to do but complain about how they didn't like it so no one should be excited. :P

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Follow that up with this:

Netflix has commissioned a 10-episode Cowboy Bebop live action series with several of the names from the original working to help produce it.

Given how important music, cinematography, choreography, and pitch-perfect acting was to the popularity of the original, I'm...not convinced this will go well, even with the inclusion of some of the original staff. I guess we'll see.

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Why does Netflix keep doing adaptations that nobody likes? Why are they doing an Avatar adaptation? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

John wrote:

Also, Twitter is going nuts with people who are excited and people who have nothing better to do but complain about how they didn't like it so no one should be excited.
      EVERY TIME. How hard is it for people to realize that a show that's not for everyone that you don't like isn't for you? It really only appeals to a specific demographic of people. Obviously it's still fairly enjoyable as a straight drama and the art and directing is top notch, but when people run around saying "It's just overhyped" it frustrates me more than it should.
    • I mean, I'd argue Eva is overhyped, there are a lot of really toxic fans in that community (I mean, End of Eva has photographs of death threats sent to Anno and the rest of the team from "fans" who didn't like how they ended the show) who, in the '90s and early '00s insisted that Eva was the best show ever made and were, well, like the toxic Homestuck or Rick and Morty fans today. So I get why pushback exists (plus, of course, anything that's popular will have people who hate it just for that reason).

But when people are happy that the show is coming back, why show up just to go "Um, actually, it's terrible!"? Like, why? It's got flaws but it's overall a very good show.

• I'm probably missing context. All I know is that critics love the show and analyze it endlessly decades later, and they're absolutely right to do so. But I just get upset about it because of how important it is to me. It's like if your babushka made the most exquisite borscht, but when you try to make it for someone they say "only pretentious people like dishes made with beets, because beets are nasty". When your identity is affected heavily by something, it feels like a personal attack.

I don't get how the show has sold so much merch though. It's my favorite work and I don't even have a t shirt with the logo. It really didn't feel like it was trying to make me buy anything, in fact quite the opposite; by showing characters as a real person is, it makes them less idealized and less appealing for merchandise.
    • Different people got different things out of the show. There's loads of people who treat it like a kinda "edgy" take on robot shows but skip over the mental issues in favour of the intense fights and nudity. There's people who are there solely for the depictions of depression and who ignore the robots. There are people who watch it for the slice-of-life hijinks and nudity and who ignore the rest of it.

In fact, so many people got so many different things out of it that I feel safe in saying that regardless of what the message of the show was supposed to be a majority of fans didn't get it, simply because there's nothing about the show that a majority of fans agree on. :P

Like, let's take what seems like one of the more fundamental divides in the fandom: How one feels about Shinji. Some people hate him, they want a show with robots fighting monsters that also goes into dark places, but they don't want a lead that's so whiny and weak-willed. A protagonist should be at least somewhat confident, right? Then you have people who heavily empathize with Shinji as a very broken kid trying to do his best who keeps getting abused and mistreated by those he trusts or who have power over him, and so see him as an excellent character. Strictly speaking these two views aren't entirely incompatible, but they highlight two radically different takes on the same character based on what people brought into their viewing of the show.*

There are similar divides for the other characters (I think Rei comes in second place for most polarizing) and for all the psychoanalysis stuff in the show.

As for merch specifically, eh. I don't have any NGE stuff, but I wouldn't be opposed to, say, a Unit-01 or Sachiel figure. Some of it is really out there and leans into the fetishization and other less-pleasant aspects of the fandom, but on the whole it's not surprising that a work that really resonated with people would sell stuff. Like, Revolutionary Girl Utena is not trying to sell you anything. It has almost nothing in it that you could buy in the real world. There's still merch for it that I wouldn't mind owning because I love the show and the merch is neat.

*My anecdotal experience is that people who have personally dealt with clinical depression and/or PTSD, either in themselves or a loved one, relate to Shinji far more than people who haven't.

The post was edited 2 times, last by John ().

• I haven't seen an official article or report on this yet but apparent Mob Psycho 100 season 2 will be premiering in theaters in the US. The premiere will include the (very fun) recap OVA of season 1 and the first episode of season 2. I guess this quietly went live very recently as I only knew about from a couple posts I had seen. I already went ahead and bought a ticket! This is very exciting! It seems like anime is cropping up more and more often in theaters, even in smaller locales like my area.
    • Sabbo wrote:

The Slime isekai seems to be going a bit slowly to me, but I won't rule out a potential cause of that perception being my poor memory. I had just thought they'd reach the point they're currently at closer to episode 5-6. Maybe 7, but they're up to 9.

That said, I likely won't mind much in the long run so long as the ending in a few months is in a good spot.
      I'll admit with only 24 episodes and them showing Hinata and the children in the OP I thought they'd be blitzing through a lot faster, but if I didn't have the OP showing that stuff I'd honestly be thinking they were going pretty fast compared to the source manga.
    • So, just finished the Princess Jellyfish anime, and really loved it.

I figured I would, I'd seen the first 1/4 and it was great, but one always worries that a series will start strong and then peter out.

For those not familiar, Princess Jellyfish is a series about a group of female nerds sharing an apartment building in Tokyo, all of whom have fairly severe social anxiety, especially around men or "stylish" people. Our protagonist, Tsukimi, is a "jellyfish otaku" who is rescued from a very stressful social encounter by a stylish cross-dresser (one she at first mistakenly believes to be a woman) who she ends up befriending. The series then goes on to have various hijinks, and some serious moments, around these characters from very different life styles and how they interact, while taking a look at what "beauty" means and what the purpose of fashion is.

Since it only adapts part of the manga the ending is kinda abrupt, and there are a number of plot arcs that aren't resolved, including a love triangle. Still, what is there is very good. The romcom plot, which I'd normally not care for, worked very well and the jokes were consistently hilarious, without (usually) being mean; the comedic timing is godlike, frankly. The characters are all larger-than-life without feeling like they're there to be all "look at the freaks" (so, not Big Bang Theory) and their interactions are delightful. The main villain winds very well between legitimately despicable and hilarious, making you hate them, laugh at them, and laugh with them at times. Not an easy feat.

It's not flawless. The aforementioned abrupt ending hurts it, a few of the jokes I didn't care for (a recurring one poking fun at a man for being a virgin was annoying, if in-character for those making it), the "powerful, confidant,a and sexy woman is the foe of the inept and shy nerds" thing is overdone, and it feels like it was going for a greater commentary on fashion and things than it ended up having time for, leaving it feel kinda empty around its main theme.

But it remains a real joy to watch, it does fun things with the "Manic Pixie Dreamgirl" concept (turns out that the kind of confidence needed to be in that role can leave you being unintentionally insensitive and doing more harm than good), the jokes land very consistently, it treats being "stylish" as more nuanced than "being fashionable is good and makes you desirable" and it largely avoids making fun of any of its characters for who they are.

Oh, and the OP is a lot of fun:

If you want to give it a look, the first couple episodes are on Funimation's YouTube channel (DVD quality) in both sub and dub.

I should note: Content warnings for date rape and gaslighting at various points in the show.

I've also just finished the first few chapters of Siúil, A Rún: The Girl From the Other Side, and I think this was written specifically for me. :P It's a manga about a little girl (6 or 7, I'd guess?) living in a dark forest right out of a German fairy tale and the demonic-looking man who is her caretaker. So far it feels like it could've been right out of an actual fairy tale, with art that makes strong use of shadow and contrast and which reminds me most of Edward Gorey's illustrations. The writing is charming, but not without a current of darkness throughout, hewing closely again to European fairy tales. The first few chapters largely set up a whole bunch of mysteries about the world: Why it is the way it is, why Shiva is living in this forest, why normal humans are so terrified of Teacher, etc. without offering any real answers. I'm definitely going to have to give the later volumes a look.

The post was edited 3 times, last by John ().

Post by Guinea ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().