Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Animé/Manga Thread: The age of 5-minute shows has dawned upon us
    • Anime fans, this is a thread for you!

Chat about your favorite anime shows here. Pop in from time to time to share and discuss what you all are going through currently, or to find a quick fix when you need to talk about the newest episode (in the original Japanese!!) of ___, or whatever it is you've just watched.

If there's a lot of discussion over one particular show, I'll prompt you to go ahead and make a thread where you can continue proper discussion.

So, yeah, what's kickin'? Personally, I haven't watched anime in ages, but I've been considering maybe going through Death Note or FM: Brotherhood, when I find the time, perhaps.

2 Holden 2 Art ★ Signature from Cucumber Quest ★ #faroreguerrilla ★

The post was edited 1 time, last by Holden ().

• This is a nice edition:3 Now I can rant about something fangirly in a moderately appropriate place.
      Just to start up some sort of discussion, I'll take the title. I typically prefer dubs for convenience since I multitask when I'm on the computer. The original is often better, but honestly, people hate on dubs way too much. Exaggerating every little mistake or how the voice didn't quite fit what they were hoping for. This suddenly makes a dub ear-bleedingly terrible. Of coarse there's some where it's justified, but from all the anime I've watched I haven't come across one that made me feel that way.
    • OH HEY YAY! I've wanted a thread like this. C':
      You the man, Holds.

I have recently stopped my anime break and decided to hook myself up with some Tiger & Bunny.
      AND LET ME TELL YOU
      THAT TIGER & BUNNY
      IS HELLA GOOD.

The animation is smooth and plot is great. C8 It excites me.
      Also, I recognize a lot of voice actors. Will check them out when I won't risk any major spoilers by doing so.
    • Kikari wrote:

This is a nice edition:3 Now I can rant about something fangirly in a moderately appropriate place.
      Just to start up some sort of discussion, I'll take the title. I typically prefer dubs for convenience since I multitask when I'm on the computer. The original is often better, but honestly, people hate on dubs way too much. Exaggerating every little mistake or how the voice didn't quite fit what they were hoping for. This suddenly makes a dub ear-bleedingly terrible. Of coarse there's some where it's justified, but from all the anime I've watched I haven't come across one that made me feel that way.

I never had a problem with dub's. I prefer them. Mainly because I feel like when someone is speaking in a completely different language and you have to read what they say it really takes away the epicness of a lot of scenes.

Plus reading and watching is just too much responsibility. I'm too lazy.
      I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

The post was edited 1 time, last by Professor Paradox ().

• Holden wrote:

This is me, mostly. I think the last time I actually sat down to watch an anime show was at least two or three years ago. But I (re)watch films, Ghibli especially, quite frequently!

:XD: Studio Ghibli is the best. I went to their museum in Japan once.

I really enjoyed the anime-take on The Count of Monte Christo story (Gankutsuou) Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The animation was beautiful.

:3
    • I hate dubs, almost all dubs are censored and raped from their original visions.

I am a a real anime fan however. SUBS FTW! Huge fan of Haruhi, One Piece, Noein, Ghost in the Shell (franchise), Elfen Lied, and countless other series.

However I hate the ♥♥♥♥ that is only popular because it's one of the few shonen released in America. I could go on and on about why Naruto and Inyuyasha are pieces of ♥♥♥♥ but it won't make any difference and the fans of those series are typically 13 year old dubutards who are devoid of logic and reason.
    • I ran through death note start to finish I LOVED it I couldn't stop watching it. and One piece turned into something really fantastic but it took it about 40 episodes to do so, But it gets good after that and the animation has gotten better and smoother too. I just wish they pumped out episodes faster. Bleach is always a hit.

I never EVER watch dubbed unless I really have to. I know of some good sites too. Sky7anime.tv is great for free streaming. they normally have a tone of no add no limit mirrors.

Random Quote- I've sometimes thought of marrying, and then I've thought again. (Noel Coward, 1956)
    • Grooston wrote:

I hate dubs, almost all dubs are censored and raped from their original visions.

I am a a real anime fan however. SUBS FTW! Huge fan of Haruhi, One Piece, Noein, Ghost in the Shell (franchise), Elfen Lied, and countless other series.

However I hate the ♥♥♥♥ that is only popular because it's one of the few shonen released in America. I could go on and on about why Naruto and Inyuyasha are pieces of ♥♥♥♥ but it won't make any difference and the fans of those series are typically 13 year old dubutards who are devoid of logic and reason.

Perhaps if you're listening to a 4Kids dub. Actually, scratch that, DEFINITELY if it's 4Kids. Which I know originally happened to One Piece, no? Most of the dubs I've listened to are by FUNimation Studios and, aside from the occasional mispronunciation(It's Aku-ma not Ah-KU-ma!), I think they do an excellent job. We're entitled to our own opinions, of coarse.
      Agreed on the second point though. I prefer a more complex plot or coarser humor, but it's hard for the these series to get a lot of attention, at least in the U.S. The fandoms of these series are often much more mature(aside from the Het Is Ew people), which I greatly appreciate.
    • Grooston wrote:

I hate dubs, almost all dubs are censored and raped from their original visions.

Fi-Fai-Fi-Dum, I smell the blood of a Engli- Weeaboo Man.

Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell wants to tlak to you about "bad' dubs. In fact, people in Japan thought the ENglish dub was better than the Japanese dubs.

Also, implying the non-popular ♥♥♥♥ is great because it's popular.

Anyway, before I get an warning or infarction, currently watching "The Future Dairy" (aka Mirai Nikki). It's a good show and I'm loving it so far. Yuno's a ♥♥♥♥ed up stalker chick. I really need to watch the comics too.

Also, even through it's a visual novels, Katawa Shoujo is good. A tad overrated but good. (would post about it in General Gaming but Visual Novels aren't vidyas)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The affluenza made me do it
    • Kikari wrote:

Perhaps if you're listening to a 4Kids dub. Actually, scratch that, DEFINITELY if it's 4Kids. Which I know originally happened to One Piece, no? Most of the dubs I've listened to are by FUNimation Studios and, aside from the occasional mispronunciation(It's Aku-ma not Ah-KU-ma!), I think they do an excellent job. We're entitled to our own opinions, of coarse.
      Agreed on the second point though. I prefer a more complex plot or coarser humor, but it's hard for the these series to get a lot of attention, at least in the U.S. The fandoms of these series are often much more mature(aside from the Het Is Ew people), which I greatly appreciate.

4Kids wasn't that bad. They put a lot of effort into their editing and localisations, the fact that they make their own songs for the series they dubbed shows it. And the only reason I stopped watching One Piece was because it repeated the prologue every single episode, a trait that was left over from the original. Lastly, (while I know not which series you refer to for this "Akuma") the pronounciation seems to be perfectly valid, and it seems foolish of you to attempt to make "Akuma" a two-sillable word.

It seems that me and Kikari are both in agreement about the validity of Grooston's second point. I agree that Grooston is a fanatic and can't be reasoned with, as evidenced by his inflammatory remarks on other groups of fanatics as well as his liberal use of the word "rape".
    • I got two animes as my favorite ones, Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha.
      I really like them, and of course, I watched them subbed. :D

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I must add, the only dub that I really liked was the spanish dub for Ranma.
      And that only because I watched some as a kid (watched it completly in japanese after I started watching anime)

The post was edited 3 times, last by DeiStar ().

• Light_Breeze wrote:

4Kids wasn't that bad. They put a lot of effort into their editing and localisations, the fact that they make their own songs for the series they dubbed shows it. And the only reason I stopped watching One Piece was because it repeated the prologue every single episode, a trait that was left over from the original. Lastly, (while I know not which series you refer to for this "Akuma") the pronounciation seems to be perfectly valid, and it seems foolish of you to attempt to make "Akuma" a two-sillable word.

It seems that me and Kikari are both in agreement about the validity of Grooston's second point. I agree that Grooston is a fanatic and can't be reasoned with, as evidenced by his inflammatory remarks on other groups of fanatics as well as his liberal use of the word "rape".

Alright I'll give you that, but lets just let it keep series that are truly meant for kids. I am not into One Piece, myself, but it doesn't stop me from hearing about the badly altered dialogue to make it more kid friendly. Of coarse, since I haven't watched myself I can't say if there's any exaggerations or not but I highly doubt in this case.
      On Akuma. Yes it's a mispronunciation. Akuma is essentially demon in Japanese and when saying it in English they put too much stress on the vowels. I wasn't trying to make it seem like a two syllable word. They're both pronounced with three syllables just with the wrong stress and speed. I didn't convey that very well. Maybe they decided on this to appeal to a larger crowd and not the more otaku people like me.

On a completely different note, I'm loving the leaked clips from the Hetalia: World Series dub.

It's so crack.
    • Light_Breeze wrote:

4KIDS ISN'T THAT BAD? WITH ONE PIECE THEY REMOVED OVER 32 EPISODES INCLUDING ENTIRE MAJOR STORY ARCS! CHANGED ENTIRE CHARACTER BACKGROUNDS, CHANGED THE STORY CONSTANTLY, MADE COUNTLESS PLOTHOLES, TERRIBLE VOICE ACTING, REMOVING THE ORIGINAL SCORE, AND EDITING ALL DEATH AND COUNTLESS OTHER THINGS OUT OF THE SERIES!?

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THAT THEY WEREN'T THAT BAD!?

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Twilight Sparkle wrote:

I don't know if this counts, but I love Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Why wouldn't it count?
    • Holden wrote:

What really constitutes as anime? is the question, if that's a concern. Is it determined just by origin (animation from Japan), or is it also just a style (which reminds me of when there was a bit of dissent over whether things like Avatar: The Last Airbender counted as an anime)?

I call Avatar: The Last Airbender a western anime, the writers and creators of the show are from America, they just took inspiration from anime(ex: Naruto and Samurai Champloo) and took the art of anime and put it into a cartoon for a western audience, although its famous around the world.

As for the Hetalia World Series dub, When is that being released, i'll only watch Hetalia dubbed, they talk to fast in that show it hard to keep up with the subs.

Oh and i say anime is an Art but thats just me.