Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • TV
    The Legend of Korra
    • Only four people replying to this thread? To be honest, a little surprised.

Anyways, does anybody else think we'll see a Zuko vs Zaheer fight? I mean out of everybody in the world, Zuko has had the most experience fighting an airbender (that is assuming Tenzin and Kya didn't have fights like Lin & Su growing up).

Display Spoiler
      I'm willing to bet that all high ranking Red Lotus members communicate via Spirit World. Think of it, this is the first form of an internet forum in their world. And 15 years in that prison cell probably went by faster having explored the spirit world and quite possibly communicating with other Red Lotus members throughout the world (that is certainly what I thought when I heard Unulaq was involved). I wonder if Uncle Iroh will come into play again. If Korra can't elemental bend, maybe she can use the spirits to her advantage (or use that giant blue mecha-Korra aura again).
      [Signature & Avatar Created By Lioness & BlueBubble-L]

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
      "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
      Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS

The post was edited 1 time, last by BigGoronSword ().

• Something I have been tossing around are the reasons why the Red Lotus want Korra. Since Zuko said the 4 benders can take over the world together, why do they need Korra? A lot of people are implying that Zaheer is going to want to extract Raava from Korra and ensue chaos. How? Well, he said during his talk with Korra that the group wanted to free Vaatu and create that chaos. As the poem he is inspired by "to destroy the old, corrupt world" in order to create a new world.

Also, I don't see Su Yin working with the Red Lotus, since Zaheer is strongly against the President and the Earth Queen entirely. Its the world leaders that he is targeting, and Su is no exception. As she is the Matron of the Metal Clan.
    • Chocoroko wrote:

Something I have been tossing around are the reasons why the Red Lotus want Korra. Since Zuko said the 4 benders can take over the world together, why do they need Korra? A lot of people are implying that Zaheer is going to want to extract Raava from Korra and ensue chaos. How? Well, he said during his talk with Korra that the group wanted to free Vaatu and create that chaos. As the poem he is inspired by "to destroy the old, corrupt world" in order to create a new world.

Also, I don't see Su Yin working with the Red Lotus, since Zaheer is strongly against the President and the Earth Queen entirely. Its the world leaders that he is targeting, and Su is no exception. As she is the Matron of the Metal Clan.

They probably wants to use Korra as a tool to take down the world leaders. To be honest the whole "they can take on an nation by themselves" seems to be mainly BS to build them up as strong enemies since even Mako and Bolin have kept them off twice now.
      Awesome sig made by: Caleb

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE="1"]
      [COLOR="Blue"]Zelda Games Beaten:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]LoZ[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]AoL[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]ALttP LA OoT MM [/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]OoS[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]OoA FS FSA TWW TP PH ST SS ALbW[/COLOR]
      [/SIZE]
    • I know it's been mentioned a lot, but I can't express how happy I am with the group of villains in book three. You don't need to be the spirit of darkness to be threatening, you just need to pose a real threat. Usually this show gives us one or so abnormal bender at a time, but now they've spoiled us with the luxury of four.

Ming-Hua is one of the most proficient waterbenders out there and she does it all without the use of her arms. This is particularly impressive considering how waterbending seem to be so reliant on the movement of the arms. It makes me wonder how she does it, phantom limbs perhaps? The way she can fashion ice into tools is also impressive. Out of the four red lotus members, she's definitely my favourite.

Ghazan is the first lavabender we've seen in the series. I think it's cool how the creators of the show are constantly adding new forms of bending to the series. As Bolin said in the most recent episode, everything he throws at him is like supplying him with ammunition. It also makes me wonder whether Bolin is gonna become a lavabender. He wasn't successful with metalbending, so I think it might be setting himself up for something even better.

Zaheer has proven to be a powerful airbender, despite only having bending abilities for a matter of weeks. His extensive knowledge of the air nation's history and his harness of spiritual abilities leaves me thinking he was one of Aang's air acolytes. It could be an interesting plot point to explore over the last few episodes.

And then there's sparky sparky boom woman. What more needs to be said?

So yeah, book three has been great so far. It's definitely the best of the three LoK books, and I'd say it's up there with books two and three of ATLA as well.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sansa Stark ().

• ^ Ghazan actually isn't the first lavabender we've seen, though he is the first non-avatar lavabender. /nitpick

I also like how they act as a foil to the Earth Queen, in a way. The Red Lotus seems to at least seemingly have what they believe to be noble intentions and overall seem very human, which is a contrast to the Earth Queen who has no redeeming qualities whatsoever (Zahir even expressed disgust with her).
      Display Spoiler
      And based on the way the episode ended, it looks like the Red Lotus and Earth Queen will clash in the near future.
    • Ah right, I completely forgot about Roku! I guess it's testament to Ghazan's power that he hasn't had to master firebending in order to lavabend. I imagine there's some overlap between earth and firebending in the process, hence why only Avatars have been able to do it in the past.

Display Spoiler
      And it would be interesting if The Red Lotus end up saving Korra (and Asami) from the Earth Queen, a la the Blue Spirit's rescue of Aang. I'm sure they're more than capable of doing so, the Dai Li won't put up much of a fight, haha.
    • I am very happy to see the Dai Li again in the series, but also very disappointed in how weak they seem to have become. In the original series, the Dai Li were both mysterious and powerful guards. Although, the presences of an earth bender and a
      Display Spoiler
      metal-bending avatar
      would make them fodder.

Display Spoiler
      Considering the Red Lotus are interested in Korra, "rescuing" her is essential. However, I would think they wouldn't care what happens to her friends. If she is separated from them, which seems to always happen, it would be up to her or Mako/Bolin.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Maroon ().

• Sansa Stark wrote:

This is particularly impressive considering how waterbending seem to be so reliant on the movement of the arms. It makes me wonder how she does it, phantom limbs perhaps?

Phantom limbs perhaps, but I think it's more will power of not being limited over what you see right in front of you. It makes us wonder just what is truly necessary to become a bender. Speaking of her: Has anybody thought if she was born this way or maybe she committed a great crime that they chopped off her arms as punishment?

It also makes me wonder whether Bolin is gonna become a lavabender. He wasn't successful with metalbending, so I think it might be setting himself up for something even better.

Need a new bending? Why not [strike]Zoidberg[/strike] sandbending, maybe? We haven't had any prominent sandbenders on the show (I hope the next Earth Avatar is one).

Lavabending seems a little too powerful, even for Bolin. I mean, take a look at lightning bending. The only times we've ever seen Mako do that is against Amon (and multiple times charging up a city generator). I think the key to fighting a lavabender is airbending (just look how quickly Zaheer cooled things down).

His extensive knowledge of the air nation's history and his harness of spiritual abilities leaves me thinking he was one of Aang's air acolytes. It could be an interesting plot point to explore over the last few episodes.

I've thought this too. I don't think the history of all the air benders are public knowledge.

-Aang was biologically 66 years old (but actually 166 years old) when he died.
      -At the time of Aang's death, Tenzin was 33 years old (he was 51 at the start of the series. 36 when he imprisoned the Red Lotus.). Sadly Aang never met his grandchildren.
      -Aang's fan-club was the start of the Air Acolytes (Aang was about 13-14 years old. FYI the fan-club is part of the comic series which is canon).
      -Zaheer was a teenager when he first met Unalaq and joined the Red Lotus (so anywhere between 13-19 years old).

I suspect that Zaheer was an air acolyte (as a spy for Red Lotus) sometime when Aang was 15-66 years old. Considering how good Zaheer is at airbending, that could be from watching Aang do it for quite some time. But I suspect it is more like 15-40 years because Tenzin would have gotten to know Zaheer as an air acolyte if he stayed for too long instead of just some criminal whom tried to kidnap Korra.

So let's say Zaheer was 15 years old (and Aang was 35 years old) when he started being a Red Lotus spy as an air acolyte. Let's give Zaheer 5 years of training/meditation (20). 26 years until Aang dies and Zaheer can report the news to the Red Lotus (46). 3 years of the White Lotus and Red Lotus trying to find the next Avatar (49). 15 years of imprisonment (64). Is 64 years a reasonable guess as to Zaheer's age?

Either that or he went to the Spirit World and started reading up the history in Wan Shi Tong's library.

• Phantom limbs perhaps, but I think it's more will power of not being limited over what you see right in front of you. It makes us wonder just what is truly necessary to become a bender. Speaking of her: Has anybody thought if she was born this way or maybe she committed a great crime that they chopped off her arms as punishment?

Although it is possible, to be born without arms is very rare. If you look at her chest, it seems to be discolored, meaning there might have been an event before the imprisonment to stop her bending/an accident may have occurred when the kidnapping of Korra failed. It's safe to assume she didn't just awake the ability when she was released, because she seems to be very fluent with the ability.

Lavabending seems a little too powerful, even for Bolin. I mean, take a look at lightning bending. The only times we've ever seen Mako do that is against Amon (and multiple times charging up a city generator). I think the key to fighting a lavabender is airbending (just look how quickly Zaheer cooled things down).

If a powerful gust of air can cool down lava, combining it with earth bending would turn the lava into rock/obsidian, which means it can be used against the Red Lotus. Of course, throwing said rock back at the lava bender would just turn it back into lava, so it would have to be bended towards another member of the group.

Either that or he went to the Spirit World and started reading up the history in Wan Shi Tong's library.

Zaheer could have also learned how to go into the spirit world from Aang/reading it from Air bending scrolls. When we first see Zaheer, he looks like an old man with gray hair, meaning he is at least 50/60 years old or so.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Maroon ().

• BGS, it would be cool if her arms had been amputated because she was too dangerous when she had them. It would be a little dark, but this series has had genocide in the past so anything's possible. I doubt it's something that'll be mentioned, so it'll just have to be headcanon.

And it's possible Zaheer made use of Wan Shi Tong's library. We saw he was friendly with Unalaq who was formerly a member of the Red Lotus. I do think it needs to be explained at some point, along with Jinora's spiritual projection ability.
    • Korra's to learn list: Lightning bending (and redirect it), sand bending, lava bending, lie detection, blind sensory, astral projection, ...should Korra learn how to bloodbend, just the basics so that if it is ever used on another person she could defend them (her Avatar state could get herself out)?

Does anybody think the Combustion eye tattoo is necessary for the bending, or is it a mark that they have mastered it (like the arrow tattoos and the mastery of airbending)? If the tattoo isn't necessary, I say Korra should learn how to do it.

Is it a bit unsettling that the only Combustion people we've met are bad guys?

• BigGoronSword wrote:

Korra's to learn list: Lightning bending (and redirect it), sand bending, lava bending, lie detection, blind sensory, astral projection, ...should Korra learn how to bloodbend, just the basics so that if it is ever used on another person she could defend them (her Avatar state could get herself out)?

Does anybody think the Combustion eye tattoo is necessary for the bending, or is it a mark that they have mastered it (like the arrow tattoos and the mastery of airbending)? If the tattoo isn't necessary, I say Korra should learn how to do it.

Is it a bit unsettling that the only Combustion people we've met are bad guys?

As awesome as that would make Korra, I don't think most of that, if any, will happen...especially since the season is past its half-way point and it would make her friends obsolete. I would think the eye-tattoo may be necessary as a center point for combustion bending. I don't remember much about it, but I think Sparky-Sparky Boom Man had his 3rd eye damaged/blocked, and it affected his bending.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Maroon ().

• Obsolete, yes, but these are things she has to learn for future Avatars (I'm still shocked Aang couldn't take a week to learn how to metalbend). The very least she should learn how to redirect lightning, blind sensory (because Aang knew those two), & lie detection.

• BigGoronSword wrote:

Obsolete, yes, but these are things she has to learn for future Avatars (I'm still shocked Aang couldn't take a week to learn how to metalbend). The very least she should learn how to redirect lightning, blind sensory (because Aang knew those two), & lie detection.

We could excuse Aang for not learning metalbending. Considering learning how to Earthbend was so difficult for him, and he had a lot of work to do after the war ended, he didn't feel he needed to learn metalbending. Toph was just perfecting that art herself, and I think she was willing to let Aang off the leash on that part. After Aang insisted he'd not learn, I imagine, because it'd be so like her to make 'TwinkleToes' her first metalbending student.

As for lightning, blind sensory and lie detection? Have we met any other characters other than Toph who could do the latter two? Unless Chief BeiFong is willing to impart her mother's skills to Korra, I'm not sure where Korra could learn it. But yeah, she should probably learn how to redirect lightning as it's been established that if someone who could wield lightning wanted to zap the Avatar, they would, and if she doesn't know how to block it...well...let's just say Katara doesn't have another special vial of Spirit Water from the North Pole.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Link the Zora ().

• Link the Zora wrote:

As for lightning, blind sensory and lie detection? Have we met any other characters other than Toph who could do the latter two? Unless Chief BeiFong is willing to impart her mother's skills to Korra, I'm not sure where Korra could learn it. But yeah, she should probably learn how to redirect lightning as it's been established that if someone who could wield lightning wanted to zap the Avatar, they would, and if she doesn't know how to block it...well...let's just say Katara doesn't have another special vial of Spirit Water from the North Pole.

Aang used blind sensory on Ozai at the very last moment before he took his bending away. If Su is willing to teach Korra metalbending, it is the least Lin can do to make the future Avatar line stronger. Lie detection...I think I'd only trust Toph to teach that considering Aiwei's betrayal. Which leaves off redirecting lightning to the responsibility of Zuko.

• BigGoronSword wrote:

Aang used blind sensory on Ozai at the very last moment before he took his bending away. If Su is willing to teach Korra metalbending, it is the least Lin can do to make the future Avatar line stronger. Lie detection...I think I'd only trust Toph to teach that considering Aiwei's betrayal. Which leaves off redirecting lightning to the responsibility of Zuko.

I agree with you, I just wanted to offer a few pointers:

+ Toph is dead, so unless she taught her daughter the lie detection ability and she's in a good position to teach Korra, Korra's not going to be able to do it.

+ Can't Bolin or his brother lightning bend? Surely Korra could simply ask him if he knows how to redirect lightning and show her a few tips. Zuko's probably too busy to teach Korra that trick. :DD

But yes, I do agree, Korra could stand to learn a few tricks and include that in the list of things an Avatar needs to know how to do for the next incarnation.
    • Sansa Stark wrote:

Toph isn't dead! The last Suyin heard of her was that she's on a spiritual journey. I mean she could have died during said journey, but this is Toph motherfucking Beifong we're talking about. I'm certain we'll see her before the series ends.

I don't deny that this Toph mutherfucking BeFong we're talking about, I just assumed that Katara and Zuko were the last two members of the original group. I could be completely wrong on that account, and if so, may Toph Earthbend me into a wall. Repeatedly.

That said, we *did* see again, but
      Display Spoiler
      he was dead.
      If we see Toph again, she'll most likely appear as either alive or as a spirit in the Spirit World.

Which does beg the question. In the event we see her (if ever) in the Spirit World, would she still be blind (ie, have the cataracts?) In fact, that raises an even larger question. If you were disabled/deformed in the living world, would your spirit self be disabled/deformed in the spirit world, or would the spirit show you as you would have looked like without the disability/deformity?

The post was edited 3 times, last by Link the Zora ().