Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • TV
    The Legend of Korra
    • Sólsetur wrote:

      Because it was a trailer. They still have the entire series to flesh everything out.


      It's most of what I've seen, it's what they chose to show off, and it's most of what any of us can comment on.

      Which is- more or less- the same world as Avatar. It's the same world Aang lived in with more advancements, and one central location. There isn't much of a difference because every other location could be exactly the same. This could literally be the only city with the technology we saw.


      A part of me actually hopes you're right. But then again, it is a Republic, as opposed to merely a city. There's bound to be few more, similarly-advanced places.

      And why wouldn't they? Non-benders and benders working together doesn't seem so far-fetched... so why couldn't it evolve in a way that benefits both sides?


      But it doesn't particularly benefit the benders. Not the cars or the roads, anyway. In fact, I'd say that the cars and roads disadvantage the benders.

      I dunno; apartments, jobs, etc. Skyscraper's a literally just one large building for a bunch of stuff to be placed inside. Bending couldn't replace that at all. Not to mention the space at brings about.


      Storage space? Try underground (safer, more convenient). I'll give you living space, but when you associate "jobs" with "skyscrapers", an image of accountants and desk jobs comes to my mind.

      I don't think changes would be that drastic, and culture is probably the same as before.


      We'll see.


      Yeah, the technology of the civilization. Not so much their jobs, life at home, foods, vacations, life outside the city... see where I'm going with this?


      Yeah... I hardly believe those have remained the same.

      It may look this way, but bending is probably very involved in the city. Why would their be an uprising against benders if there wasn't?


      Because they can do things you can't and you're scared of them. I dunno, I'm not a political expert.


      Who is to say they even use these things?


      Pretty reasonable to assume they do, actually. Roads are all around the place, and it'd be a nightmare for people running on the earth to occupy the same roads as cars.

      Non-benders are present. Of course they'd influence technology.


      It's more than an "influence". It feels more like a "taking over" of the development of technology.

      The post was edited 3 times, last by Double A ().

    • Party Rock wrote:

      Large portions of the Ba Sing Se outer wall were unbroken, especially the doors (remember when Aang freed all those animals in that "Tales of Ba Sing Se" filler episode?) I'm not sure if we can do that kind of thing even today.

      I seem to vaguely remember Toph blowing a hole in the wall of one of the houses in the "rich" province, which appeared to be made of unbroken stone.

      In another location, I remember Aang being ganged up on by a bunch of people with massive unbroken-stone "wheels" (when that dude was trying to get him into the Avatar state).


      This could just be the animation. Or the Dai Li (or other hired Earthbenders) could've done renovations on the walls. This is all just specualtion, anyway. We don't have any idea how Ba Sing Se was created. It seems contradictory, though. We see almost no Earthbenders there, yet it seems to have been made with Earthbending.

      Um, weren't those like the only two "cities" we saw outside of the Fire Nation?


      I'm using cities as a loose term. To include anything as small as the Southern Water Tribe to Ba Sing Se.

      ... which is why I feel that UR feels like a place created by and for non-benders.


      So benders and non-benders can't live together now? UR has accommodations for non-benders. So what? Bending could have easily taken part in the creation of it. It could've helped with the landscapes, to make water more easily available, or even to help make buildings.

      Even so, we're acting as though benders have no use for this technology, even though they do. Bending requires energy. Using a car/electricity does not.

      To be fair, it isn't all that hard to create hot air.


      You just said that the blimps and hot air balloons were less of a problem because they were so easily incorporated with Firebending. Fire isn't all that hard to create either. You seem to be excusing the Fire Nation's technological advancements because they are so easy to use with Firebending, but there are ways other elements could use them too.

      What else? Off the top of my head, the clothes (some people in "sheriff" outfits, iirc), the massive park, the Golden Gate Bridge, the roads and arrangement thereof.


      That bridge looks almost nothing like the Golden Gate Bridge, I saw one outfit that some one maybe might have worn in a time period several decades before my own, roads are going to be in cities, and... I'm sorry, why does that 'park' make you think of our world? Parks are too modern for you?

      I disagree with this. They had heaps of metal and steam engines and they were firebenders. Something just "clicks". Same with the "Earth trains" in Ba Sing Se and the heavy use of waterways in the Northern Water Tribe.


      It's not all that hard to create fire. Earthbenders could have done it just as easily. Steam could work for literally any of the elements. The only thing Firebenders have more access to is fire. It would be just as easy for Waterbenders and Earthbenders. But only Firebenders did it.


      Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I can't say I've ever been that much of a fan of steampunk settings (the Fire Nation were the bad guys in Airbender, which sort of justifies that exception).


      No, it doesn't justify it at all.

      Much more extreme and illogical, yes. But the idea is the same.


      No, in your example, you are taking away something that has become a staple of the series. "Not technological" was never a staple of the series. There was already plenty of technology.
    • Yew wrote:

      This could just be the animation. Or the Dai Li (or other hired Earthbenders) could've done renovations on the walls. This is all just specualtion, anyway. We don't have any idea how Ba Sing Se was created. It seems contradictory, though. We see almost no Earthbenders there, yet it seems to have been made with Earthbending.


      Ba Sing Se was huge, we only saw a fraction of the people there. It was also the Earth Kingdom capital. More over, we DID see quite a few earthbenders, the soldiers.

      It kind of "clicks", at least in my head.



      So benders and non-benders can't live together now? UR has accommodations for non-benders. So what?


      It's a bit more than mere "accomodations". The entire city looks like it was made by/for non-benders.

      Even so, we're acting as though benders have no use for this technology, even though they do. Bending requires energy. Using a car/electricity does not.


      It's okay, I know what you mean.

      I still disagree. Firebenders have no need for artificial light, their own firebending performs the job just as well if not better. Earthbenders/Waterbenders have no need for artificial transport, their own bending performs the job better.

      That bridge looks almost nothing like the Golden Gate Bridge, I saw one outfit that some one maybe might have worn in a time period several decades before my own, roads are going to be in cities, and... I'm sorry, why does that 'park' make you think of our world? Parks are too modern for you?


      I'm not from America. Any bridge with that general shape looks like the Golden Gate Bridge to me.

      And it wasn't the fact that there was a park, it was this specific park. It looks almost exactly like a park I'd expect to see if I visited the city right now.

      It's not all that hard to create fire. Earthbenders could have done it just as easily. Steam could work for literally any of the elements. The only thing Firebenders have more access to is fire. It would be just as easy for Waterbenders and Earthbenders. But only Firebenders did it.


      It might not be that hard to create fire, but firebenders can literally conjure it up at will. No matter how much these techniques were shared amongst the nations, I'd still expect the firebenders to be a cut above the rest in terms of technology.

      At the very least, I'd have expected the big city to be divided up into four areas that operate very differently in terms of infrastructure, building, technology, etc. All of the benders have different options available to them that are more efficient to them and less efficient for everyone else because they can bend something that nobody else can. A firebender belongs in a hot air balloon, but an airbender doesn't, for example. It just doesn't make sense for everyone to be doing everything the same way, for the city to have a consistent "theme" all over.


      No, in your example, you are taking away something that has become a staple of the series. "Not technological" was never a staple of the series. There was already plenty of technology.


      I hardly think that hybrid animals were more than a "quirk" that differentiated their own world from our own.

      The post was edited 5 times, last by Double A ().

    • Party Rock wrote:

      It's most of what I've seen, it's what they chose to show off, and it's most of what any of us can comment on.


      Fair enough. Doesn't mean the show itself won't tell you things are different, but since we don't know what the show will be like, I concede the point.


      A part of me actually hopes you're right. But then again, it is a Republic, as opposed to merely a city. There's bound to be few more, similarly-advanced places.


      Only a few, in an entire world.


      But it doesn't particularly benefit the benders. Not the cars or the roads, anyway. In fact, I'd say that the cars and roads disadvantage the benders.


      How so?


      Storage space? Try underground (safer, more convenient). I'll give you living space, but when you associate "jobs" with "skyscrapers", an image of accountants and desk jobs comes to my mind.


      Not everyone wants to live underground, plus there are probably underground things as well. Not to mention they had similar jobs present in the Fire and Earth nations.


      We'll see.


      Yes, we will.


      Yeah... I hardly believe those have remained the same.


      Why? I can understand jobs since- naturally- there'd be more jobs, but why couldn't the rest stay the same? Technology may not have the same kind of effect on there world as it does hours.


      Because they can do things you can't and you're scared of them. I dunno, I'm not a political expert.


      Who knows? We'll find out when the show plays.


      Pretty reasonable to assume they do, actually. Roads are all around the place, and it'd be a nightmare for people running on the earth to occupy the same roads as cars.


      They could always walk. Plus, as Yew said, bending takes energy and effort... cars only require energy and hand eye coordination.


      It's more than an "influence". It feels more like a "taking over" of the development of technology.


      So... the benders couldn't have had any say whatsoever? There are probably just as many things to benefit benders as there are for non benders.
    • I'm not going to continue this. My opinion is my opinion. I'm going to summarize it here.

      After thinking about it, I think that my biggest qualm isn't merely that the technology is advanced, it's that it feels like a non-bender's city that happens to have benders in it, as opposed to the cities of the old series that were clearly benders' cities (Ba Sing Se had the massive stone wall and the doors that could only be opened by earthbenders as well as the solid-stone buildings, Omashu had that massive delivery system clearly made by and for earthbenders as well as some more solid-stone buildings, the Northern Water Tribe had massive ice buildings which were presumably constructed by benders).

      The first series gave me the impression that the world was a benders' world. Sure, there were heaps of non-benders, but benders had a massive influence over how civilization worked and stuff. By comparison, the city in the trailer doesn't feel like a benders' city. It feels like a non-benders' city because it feels like one of our cities, which ARE non-bender cities.

      Sólsetur wrote:

      They could always walk. Plus, as Yew said, bending takes energy and effort... cars only require energy and hand eye coordination.


      1. Why couldn't the non-benders walk instead :P
      2. I'm not sure how something can require a person's energy but not their effort. I'm also not sure how bending doesn't require hand-eye co-ordination.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Double A ().

    • Party Rock wrote:

      Sure, there were heaps of non-benders, but benders had a massive influence over how civilization worked and stuff.


      And they still don't? The pretty much shaped the way technology advanced (in terms of speed). Why can't they still have influence over it?


      1. Why couldn't the non-benders walk instead :P


      Because they can't use air ballons, waterways, fly, or skate on earth.


      2. I'm not sure how something can require a person's energy but not their effort. I'm also not sure how bending doesn't require hand-eye co-ordination.


      I didn't mean a person's energy, I meant car's required some kind of energy source to make it run. Whether that be gasoline, water, steam, or earthbending. The point is: a car is easier than bending.


      Also, I remember the Fire Nation having a large "drill" that could easily be used (the same technology, anyways) to create cars and the like. :P
    • Sólsetur wrote:

      And they still don't? The pretty much shaped the way technology advanced (in terms of speed). Why can't they still have influence over it?


      It still feels like everything was designed by non-benders. I would imagine that earthbenders or waterbenders wouldn't design cars and roads, for example. Even the firebender vehicles didn't need roads.

      Because they can't use air ballons, waterways, fly, or skate on earth.


      With cars and roads taking up all the space, I don't think there'd be a whole lot of room for skating on earth.

      I didn't mean a person's energy, I meant car's required some kind of energy source to make it run. Whether that be gasoline, water, steam, or earthbending. The point is: a car is easier than bending.


      I would question whether cars are more convenient for benders. First off, these more primitive cars are slower than earth-skating. Cars also have to stay on the road (their drivers have to stay in their cars), whereas benders don't.

      Benders are also accustomed to bending. It's second-nature to them.

      Also, I remember the Fire Nation having a large "drill" that could easily be used (the same technology, anyways) to create cars and the like. :P


      I would also expect cars designed by the firebenders to be more "firebender-ish" and less "non-bender-ish". I wouldn't be surprised if the massive drill had a bunch of firebenders fuelling it.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Double A ().

    • Moving on from the argument about technology...

      I'm very excited for this show! I'm mostly interested in leaning more about Korra's "team." I don't know if this has been discussed already, but they are two interracial brothers--one can firebend and the other can earthbend. I think this will answer a lot of questions about the ability to bend--apparently it is a genetic trait? Anyway, the firebender is Mako and the earthbender is Bolin. Interesting stuff...

      Source

      (P.S. On a side note, the creators mentioned there being some sort of "love triangle" to appear somewhere in the story. My bets are on the two brothers and Korra. :P)
      [FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkRed"]
      -thank you [SIZE="3"]veritas[/SIZE] for the lovely sig& avvy-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    • Party Rock wrote:

      It still feels like everything was designed by non-benders. I would imagine that earthbenders or waterbenders wouldn't design cars and roads, for example. Even the firebender vehicles didn't need roads.


      Well, this could be a republic specifically made for non-benders? Seriously, I don't think technology is an issue because it evolved naturally. I'm sure once we get into the story, things will be much different.

      Whatever, though; it IS your opinion.

      With cars and roads taking up all the space, I don't think there'd be a whole lot of room for skating on earth.


      I don't recall them ever skating on earth in the city in the first place. I recall them walking.


      I would question whether cars are more convenient for benders. First off, these more primitive cars are slower than earth-skating. Cars also have to stay on the road (their drivers have to stay in their cars), whereas benders don't.


      Fair enough, but the cars could be solely for cities. We'll just have to wait and see.


      Benders are also accustomed to bending. It's second-nature to them.


      Yes, but bending is tiring.


      I would also expect cars designed by the firebenders to be more "firebender-ish" and less "non-bender-ish". I wouldn't be surprised if the massive drill had a bunch of firebenders fuelling it.


      Again: bending takes energy. Of course they'd look for an alternative to using up their energy to power the car/train/blimp/whatever.

      Marshmallow Moo wrote:

      I'm very excited for this show! I'm mostly interested in leaning more about Korra's "team." I don't know if this has been discussed already, but they are two interracial brothers--one can firebend and the other can earthbend. I think this will answer a lot of questions about the ability to bend--apparently it is a genetic trait? Anyway, the firebender is Mako and the earthbender is Bolin. Interesting stuff...

      Source


      It was mentioned earlier in the thread; seems interesting, for sure. I'm looking forward to how they interact.


      (P.S. On a side note, the creators mentioned there being some sort of "love triangle" to appear somewhere in the story. My bets are on the two brothers and Korra. :P)


      Love triangle? Sounds interesting, but I hope it doesn't become a large part of the story. I don't want to deal with a soap opera.
    • Marshmallow Moo wrote:

      (P.S. On a side note, the creators mentioned there being some sort of "love triangle" to appear somewhere in the story. My bets are on the two brothers and Korra. :P)


      God no, I don't wanna see Korra part of some love triangle. They have a teenage female as the main character, I hope they make her to be independent for as long as possible if not the whole series.

      I have nothing against a love interest, nothing at all, but if Korra becomes part of a love triangle that runs the plot, I'm going to be very disappointed. The Aang-Katara, Sokka-Suki, Zuko-Mae love interests were alright for their own reasons, and I don't want to see a standard female-lead love triangle in a show.

      Also, explaining why these were alright:
      1) Aang-Katara: Aang was twelve, twelve year old boys suck at dealing with girls, we all know this. It was cute because it was funny to see him go out of his way for her.

      2) Sokka-Suki: Sokka's an oaf, and a pimp at that. He had a short thing with Yue which drove the plot forward for the Siege of the North, and Ty-Lee's attraction to him made their encounters more humorous. But with Suki, we saw a side of Sokka that made him a little less of an ass. He wasn't just the meat and sarcasm guy, he could also feel nice emotions towards a girl.

      3) Zuko-Mae: Zuko's angry and angsty and is like a standard 16 year old. Mae was dark and uncaring and cynical. Putting these two together gave Zuko something he should love, a girl who doesn't care about his ability to capture the Avatar, and we saw Zuko change towards her and around her, especially in flashbacks.

      I have nothing to base my speculations off of, but I feel like if they give Korra a repeating love interest that permeates through a lot of the plot, it may ruin the "strong female lead" I was hoping for. The brothers fighting over her would be good. A running gag of old men hitting on her would be funny. But dear god I don't wanna see her go head-over-heals for someone all the time.
    • Sólsetur wrote:


      Yes, but bending is tiring.

      Again: bending takes energy. Of course they'd look for an alternative to using up their energy to power the car/train/blimp/whatever.


      It takes relatively little energy to move one's palm forward, breathe a little and launch a small jet of flame. Doesn't take a whole lot of energy to stick your hand on the ground and wait either (I vaguely remember Aang travelling on a ball of earth this way).

      Love triangle? Sounds interesting, but I hope it doesn't become a large part of the story. I don't want to deal with a soap opera.


      Something we agree on.
    • Party Rock wrote:

      It takes relatively little energy to move one's palm forward, breathe a little and launch a small jet of flame. Doesn't take a whole lot of energy to stick your hand on the ground and wait either (I vaguely remember Aang travelling on a ball of earth this way).


      Opinions are opinions, I guess. Let's just move on from this argument and continue when we've seen more of the show; we don't exactly know much yet, anyways.


      Something we agree on.


      About damn time, too.
    • Party Rock wrote:

      It takes relatively little energy to move one's palm forward, breathe a little and launch a small jet of flame. Doesn't take a whole lot of energy to stick your hand on the ground and wait either (I vaguely remember Aang travelling on a ball of earth this way).


      Bending isn't just moving around and thinking about what you want the element to do. It requires concentration, focus, discipline, and energy (more energy than just the martial arts, too). It's more than just 'moving one's palm forward and breathing' or 'sticking your hand on the ground' (which never happened, by the way. I think you're remembering wrong). You really seem to be undermining how energy consuming bending can be. Cars, etc. are much more convenient.
    • Apparently Toph has a daughter and traveled around the world teaching metal bending! Although it seems like Toph's daughter seems more like a bad guy. I hope she is one of those likeable bad guys like Zuko that turn good or something. Or else I'l be pretty disappointed.
      I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Professor Paradox ().

    • Nears wrote:

      Apparently Toph has a daughter and traveled around the world teaching metal bending! Although it seems like Toph's daughter seems more like a bad guys. I hope she is one of those likeable bad guys like Zuko that turn good or something. Or else I'l be pretty disappointed.


      Toph has a daughter? Wow, this WILL be interesting indeed. I'm sure the daughter won't become good, but she'll have an attitude that makes her funny and likable. Either that, or she's head of the metal bending police- which would be interesting in itself.
    • Yew wrote:

      Bending isn't just moving around and thinking about what you want the element to do. It requires concentration, focus, discipline, and energy (more energy than just the martial arts, too). It's more than just 'moving one's palm forward and breathing' or 'sticking your hand on the ground' (which never happened, by the way. I think you're remembering wrong). You really seem to be undermining how energy consuming bending can be. Cars, etc. are much more convenient.


      Driving isn't just about moving around and thinking about what you want the car to do. It requires concentration, focus, discipline and energy etc.

      Both could be said to require focus and discipline. However, these people have been bending for ages. It's second nature to them. When it comes to something as simple as moving from A to B, bending is by far the superior option for a non-fire bender except in special circumstances. No energy-consuming, complex martial arts maneuvers are required (because no combat is necessarily involved in moving from A to B), just a bit of focus and a couple of simple movements.

      When cars are involved, you also have to memorize routes. I hate that.

      Sólsetur wrote:

      Toph has a daughter? Wow, this WILL be interesting indeed. I'm sure the daughter won't become good, but she'll have an attitude that makes her funny and likable. Either that, or she's head of the metal bending police- which would be interesting in itself.


      I hope they haven't forgotten that metalbending is an offshoot of earthbending and make Toph's daughter exclusively a metalbender.

      I think I've also seen pictures of Miss Bei Fong. I wish she was a bit younger and less serious-looking.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Double A ().

    • Party Rock wrote:

      Driving isn't just about moving around and thinking about what you want the car to do. It requires concentration, focus, discipline and energy etc.

      Both could be said to require focus and discipline. However, these people have been bending for ages. It's second nature to them. When it comes to something as simple as moving from A to B, bending is by far the superior option for a non-fire bender except in special circumstances. No energy-consuming, complex martial arts maneuvers are required (because no combat is necessarily involved in moving from A to B), just a bit of focus and a couple of simple movements.

      When cars are involved, you also have to memorize routes. I hate that.


      Driving is paying attention and applying the gas pedal and turning the wheel accordingly. Driving is not tiring unless you have to do it for hours. When you are driving, you are using the car's energy (gas) to get you somewhere. The act of moving to where you need to be doesn't drain you, it drains the car.

      Bending takes energy. Not just the energy it takes to do the physical actions which are required to make it work, but it drains you. Bending your element would be like walking to your destination. Even though it doesn't exhaust you, it still takes considerably more energy than driving a car. Besides, the only benders that could effectively travel with bending are Earthbenders. Firebenders using their hands as jet engines would be dangerous, and Waterbenders have no resources.

      They'd still have to memorize routes. Unless they're planning on going over rooftops.

      I hope they haven't forgotten that metalbending is an offshoot of earthbending and make Toph's daughter exclusively a metalbender.


      They aren't stupid. It doesn't even make sense for that to happen, so I'm not concerned about it. I do think there will be people who prefer metalbending to earthbending. Sort of like how Azula used blue fire more often than orange/red.

      I think I've also seen pictures of Miss Bei Fong. I wish she was a bit younger and less serious-looking.


      I do wish that art had her looking a bit less serious. But the younger thing is unrealistic. If Toph had her when she was forty years old, she'd still be twenty-eight.