Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • Mafia: Reservoir Cats - SIgn Up

Ruki - - Community Central

Same

• Quote from BackSet-Chan: “I knew that was Ruki's story! (it doesn't state who wrote it during the contets, does it?) I knew it! Sup creators! Anyone have any tips on naming things? ” Oh man I always wondered if I’m that obvious lol. Also to name titles usually what I do is focus on a theme or important object/character in the story, even if it’s not super obvious at first and may need some thoughtful insight. Like The Rumors We Believe is a story where rumors literally have power to influence th…

• [vote]Aqua[/vote]

• Character Building 101

Ruki - - Creative Corner

OK so a bit late, busy week. But finally going to approach my favorite part of story telling: building a character. Now the biggest part when making a character is to keep the following in mind: nature vs. nurture. Nature refers to the intrinsic being of the person - what they are predisposed to. Nurture refers to how their environment has influenced them. Making a character should include elements of both (which is why it’s important to do some at least basic world building). Nature and nurture…

• Quote from SacredSturgeon: “I mean, for me at least I was bothered less by the question of did she died and more by the question of how did she died. :p ” It was murder.

• Thank you to everyone who enjoyed my story and voted for me and congrats to Fallyn Darkheart! Also thanks to all the other writers who put themselves out there, and I hope ya'll do better next time and that my feedback helped even some. This was actually a third rewrite of the story, and I struggled with having the mystery come out in a satisfying way that would be short. I was a bit worried that the fact it was a fiji mermaid would have been lost but thankfully that was caught. When I wrote it …

• Quote from Thal1989: “As far as voting on the writing contest goes, I'm not sure I could do the author's justice, as I find it really hard to critique short stories. I don't read or write short stories, generally because I find it hard to get attached to the characters or what's happening. I prefer a lot of details, and time to get to know the characters, neither of which is easy for a short story, at least that's how I see it. ” As someone who critiques every single story I can understand this.…

• I usually like knowing the general sequence of events which need to happen, but not the specifics. Especially if the characters grow and develop in ways I didn’t expect.

• Roleplay tutorial?

Ruki - - Role Play Discussion

NPCs don’t need to go through the approval process. Some NPCs might travel with a character while others are RP specific.

• Roleplay tutorial?

Yup!

• Roleplay tutorial?

Yup OR you can ask someone to RP with you. Like you can approach someone and be like “I wanna do a heist, are you interested?” or something.

• Through their actions and inner thoughts! Like let’s say your main character is someone who just finished hunting and is cooking meat. They see a pair of eyes watching them from the grass and suddenly a fox’s head pokes out. You can show they’re compassionate/loves animals for example by throwing the fox a scrap of meat, smiling or doing the whistle and patting people do to conjole animals to approach to pet them. Or say they come across ruins overtook by nature. You could have them running thei…

• Roleplay tutorial?

For the ToC the sheet is on the second post here: Character Profile Creation and Approval Manual if you fill out the empty table and just make sure you have details, for powers as long as you don’t go OP you’re fine. The stronger the power (like time control) the more details. It’s why we suggest new people start with someone simpler and grow them through RPs. Easier to get approved. From merchant characters you mean? There isn’t currency and each merchant is different. It involves an RP though.…

• Roleplay tutorial?

OK so the basics are pretty simple. There are two types of roleplays you can join. One is in Tale of Worlds which is where you make a character to fit the RP. The DM is the one who approves the characters and dictates what you need. The second is Tales of Characters where you make a character and get approved by me or seobam. Basically for that you just copy and paste the character outline, fill out the stuff and make sure you are specific for details. So if your character can cast a fireball, y…

• World Building - Basic 101

Ruki - - Creative Corner

So this post is something which will just scratch the surface of everything that goes into it, but there is so much to unpack in all the different subcategories giving a basic overview in of itself is a momentous overtaking and that is world building. At its crux when you world build you should be doing research as discussed earlier, but the question is what should you be writing, researching and including when making your world? After all the more detail you include the more alive it’s going to…

• @Jehanne I can’t wait until you finish your dissertation and start on writing fiction! I know switching the mindset will be hard at first from experience, but it’s a very interesting mental exercise in its own right. What I like most about fiction is you get to decide what you want to say. @MissKatrinaLynne Yeah that would be great! I want this to be a place where people can constructively discuss writing since it’s so large and nuanced with so many things to take into consideration to make it b…

• That’s actually really interesting, and I was going to get into world building too but I would love to talk about that now, especially map making and considering geography. See I’m someone who is shit at geography, I don’t really understand maps. I get the basic understanding of if there is plate tectonics, volcanoes and earthquakes is there, rivers are where settlements are, especially where the soil is fertile. You know basic stuff you kinda go over in school. But I struggle applying that know…

• Research and Writing What You Know

Ruki - - Creative Corner

Well it looks like this thread has gotten quite the response! Which is awesome! The more I can help people with their writing the happier I’ll be. Anyway next thing I would like to address is something I mentioned already and that’s research. Now the important thing with research is besides do it is don’t get too carried away, especially when your magic system is supposed to lean toward soft and not hard. Because that’s a problem for me personally. I need to have an explanation for everything an…

• Quote from Guinea: “Professional writer or not, and your writing style or not, maybe I'm an asshole for having faith in what I write since a lot of people I like enjoy it? You felt disconnected from the pace of my story. A lot of people felt connected to it. That's my point. That's our back and forth. You think writing should be a certain way for it to be enjoyable, but in reality, it can be many different ways and people would still love it. We don't write the same. But you have your fans, and …

• Quote from Guinea: “I know. That's because 'highly detailed' vs. 'vague detail' is the exact same thing when it comes down to presentation. So long as its interesting to the reader, "there was a dead body" compared to "the smell of decay stung my nostriles, and soon I saw a horror. A corpse lie, sprawled out in a grotesque blah blah blah" can hold the same power later on. An example of this: my fan fic I posted here and on Facebook, titled 'The Last Dragoon'. It's all tell not show. And its the …

• Quote from Guinea: “I'm on mobile and I'm new to quoting. Sorry. Ruki wrote: "Showing is good not only for creating a scene but it is good for telling the story overall. It sets the mood. It sets up foreshadowing. It allows you to do so much which is necessary to create complex and engaging characters which people can connect to that telling just can't do. It can't." I strongly disagree with this. You can still create complexity with things that are vague. I do this all the time. It's how the st…

• Hey ya'll, do you like writing advice? Do you wish I would just explain better when I say shit like show don't tell? Do you want to discuss writing stuff? Boy howdy do I got the thread for you. May I introduce Show Not Tell and Other Writing Advice where you can ask questions, raise talking points and get sick pointers from someone who has nothing else better to do than write all day every day.

• Quote from EzloSpirit: “Ruki, your chosen example of "showing" a dead body made me raise an eyebrow for a moment until I remembered that you were the one writing it lol. ” I think it would be more concerning if I didn't go all macabre.

• Quote from Guinea: “Ok, good points. BUT. Sometimes, telling without showing can be good, and even awesome! I tell without showing. I like to keep it simple enough without going overboard but still relay a scene within a paragraph that the reader can view mentally without every detail standing out. If I wrote, say, "The fires were spreading. People in the area grew distraught, seeing their entire lives burn to ash. The firetrucks eventually arrived, and by the days end, only charred rubble remai…

• Show Not Tell

Ruki - - Creative Corner

So when I do a lot of reviewing I keep coming back to telling people to show not tell. However, I do realize it takes awhile to get the hang of what that truly entails. As someone who has been writing literally since Kindergarten, even today I’m working on showing and not telling. Hopefully though I can give some advice in how to flesh out scenes and stories to make them more engaging. To start with, show not tell at its crux is using your five senses to describe things. The best and easiest way…

• Ruki Raves So I have been writing a long time. People who know me are aware I have work at a newspaper and modded the RPG. I have written literally since Kindergarten and never stopped. Writing is my livelihood, and I’m pretty damn good at it. I like sharing my love of writing with others, and I want to help them improve as I improve too. Whenever I look at a piece of work or write reviews for the writing contest, I notice there is common things I keep seeing and mentioning. And I thought it be …

• ZU'er of the Month - TruEdge67

Ayyy Kae ayy 1) I love strawberries especially with chocolate. I enjoy sweet foods and strawberries in season are delicious. I also really like green bananas. Not ripe ones. Green ones. Fuck ripe ones. 2) That's a hard question. I love animals. I think a cat and a dog would be good. I don't want to get too many since even with unlimited resources there is a limited amount of time in the day. Plus I wanna make sure each gets the attention they need and desire. I don't know what kind of cat (a cud…

Oh wow that’s a hard one. I like different characters for different reasons, and depending on the RP it varies a lot. Like in DnD I enjoy RPing with @Malia Li and @SacredSturgeon Baggi. Even though I never RPed with him, I love @Rebs Happy, and making her pause so many times with Percy with bullshit I say as Divyyr. @Seraven has delicious fucked up characters, but also weirdos who mean well like Erebus. @KyroThePurple has so many well rounded and interesting characters - both PC and NPC - to eng…

My avatar/sig is actually drawn by @Malia of my walking disaster lesbian elf rogue bard Arwyn! She doesn’t do a lot of damage output but who needs that when you have all the skills under the sun? Rogue and bard are the skill monkeys and when you put them together … oh man.

First off thanks! Second off may I introduce you to my favorite character of all time, Ruki Makino from Digimon Tamers: tumblr_p9v4eoaqgU1vwf2qpo1_1280.jpg She’s beauty, she’s grace, she’ll kick you in the face.

1. I’ve always written. Ever since I was a little girl I’ve always had notebooks or floppy disks of just stories. I’ve always had stories running around in my head. I’ve always talked fast to the point people struggled to understand me. Writing was a good way to express myself and to get the ideas in my head out. Funnily enough, I didn’t think of becoming a journalist until my mom suggested it at the end of my junior year in high school. You see I wanted to be a video game designer - the ones wh…

• Entry 1 OK so this one was pretty short and was pretty much just telling what was happening. Having it be set after Phantom Hourglass is pretty interesting, but I think there was a lot of untapped potential with this. There wasn't really much to really connect with. Like there was implications of important threads - such as Impa being a Sheikah - which never quite panned out in a way which explained why it was brought up. I think this would have been better if formatted slightly differently - li…

Yeah it’s pretty interesting to learn about. And most of the lift bridges are in Orleans County. And to this day the old tow path is there but a lot of places have converted it to a bike path.

Quote from JP the Neurotic: “Did you ever play the first digimon world game ? Do you play as rogues in games where you can make your own avatar /class? ” I've never played the first Digimon World Game, but I played the ones on the PlayStation 4 as well as Digimon World 4 and Digimon World Dusk. Dusk so far is the only one I completed lol. Do you mean in like Dungeons and Dragons? Because yes, I love rogues lol. But in like video games, I tend to gravitate toward DPS and dex based in general. I v…

Thank you! Also that is a very hard question. Do you mean like do I get my own Digimon? Is it world peace as I define it? Since if it's world peace as I define it, I definitely would have a Digimon, so, you know win win right there.

1. Oh man I love Digimon Tamers. It’s a very dark show and tackles a lot of serious issues. I think there were bits in the Digital world arc which could have been handled better (I don’t think we got enough of a build up of the partnerships of the other Tamers outside the main three) but overall the best paced and well written season. 2. Dorumon. Hands down. Look at this little guy. He’s adorable. 64af1732f3b6b8732cce2c9d0ad1f97e--digimon-tamers-piggy-bank.jpg 3. That’s a tough question, mostly …

• To go off of what English said, all of which are good suggestions, maybe also bring a tape recorder for sessions? This way afterward you can go through it at your own pace and take notes, making sure you highlight certain key NPCs and have notecards about them decorated in a visual way of your choosing. Like lets say in session you hear about Ruki, the goddess of the moon. You have all the notes on what you know and maybe you have a sticky note on questions you want to ask in character. Also is …

• [vote]interestingdrug[/vote]

• Spy Thriller Mafia - Hub

Ruki - - Mafia Archive

I think Mafia played a very solid game. The thing I kept getting frustrated by watching the game go on was how players seemed to be struggling to make a stand with any real conviction. Instead it seemed players - especially town - seemed more interested in defending their voting habit from the previous day instead of pushing on forward. I think the biggest thing town in general has going against it which smart Mafia players have been taking advantage of is the fear to be accused as anti-town. Th…

• Spy Thriller Mafia - Hub

Ruki - - Mafia Archive

I forgot to say from Day 1, the correct answer to play as between Kassandra and Alexios is Kassandra.