Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 201-240 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • Taking a break from Tales of Vesperia for some Etrian Odyssey Nexus and...I'm not actually a fan of the fact that they brought back so many classes. In most EO games you have far fewer classes to choose from and so you can pretty much guarantee that whatever you pick will be viable, but with 19 classes (heavily skewed towards front-line classes) it's...really difficult. It's far too easy to create a party that, while viable, is really difficult to use. I think my party is viable, especially late…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Quote from Guinea: “Oh lawd let it be so. Quick question, guys: have any of you ever popped in a new game, booted it up, and immediately gotten an error messege? I shut off the system, removed the game, put it back in and it worked fine. Like... wtf. ” I have, yes. Not just on the Switch, either. Games are software, after all, same as on a PC. Stuff can go wrong in unexpected ways. If it happens regularly then something is broken, but a one off? I wouldn't worry about it.

• All FF games before XI have random encounters. XI and later have enemies visible on the overworld to varying degrees, though generally avoiding combat isn't really an option.

• Random encounters can work, the real issue is when they're too frequent, to my mind. If they're at a reasonable density then they're fine.

• Eh, dunno about that. Developers can't afford to sit on a completed project without releasing it, unless publishers pay them an ongoing amount to not release it, which would be weird. I suppose MS might be spending more money to get games ready for the next-gen XBox rather than releasing them, but that'd be a bad idea, generally. It increases the development cost while cutting current sales, and since the next-gen XBox hasn't been announced yet they'd have to be keeping studios afloat for more t…

• Quote from Creiddylad: “I finished Persona 5 last night but I feel like @John could articulate my thoughts on the game better than I could myself haha. I'll preface by saying my experience was overall a big positive, it's just easier to talk about the things that bugged me/did not feel as strong. (Hidden Content)Other than that I had a good time with this game. I was worried it would end up being a hate sink that I would regret putting what eneded up being around 140 hours in but that wasn't the…

• Quote from Vulpes: “Quote from Max N.: “Onto the narrative stuff. It's a game about androids fighting to protect the last remnants of humanity from "machine lifeforms" that have overtaken the earth. Sounds generic as hell, but the game leans heavily into themes of what it means to be conscious, created beings grappling with why they were created, questions about why these proxies are fighting for their creators. ” I haven't played the game, but if this is so, I think it was a mistake to make the…

• NieR: Automata could probably get a Switch port. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been yet. You'd have to drop some of the graphics, for sure, but they're stylized enough that it'd probably survive. As for length, it took me 30 hours to reach the true ending. It'll take you more if you do all the side quests, but probably not more than 40 hours?

• Quote from MVS: “Quote from John: “Eh, I wouldn't call the story strong. "Strongest in the series" is not saying much for games where the plot is mostly "Adol is shipwrecked somewhere, gets chosen by the local gods to fix things by hitting enemies with a sword, does so." The more recent entries (Origin, SEVEN, Celceta, and Lacrimosa of DANA) have added to that, but you're not gonna be astounded by it. I enjoyed it well enough, and liked some of what it did, but it's not, like, NieR: Automata or …

• Heh, I'll forgive some story weirdness if it helps bolster a theme, myself. (Hidden Content)

• (Hidden Content)

• Quote from Jehanne: “I played Tales of Vesperia for several hours yesterday. The combat... well, I am getting used to it. I am making an effort to learn the combinations but it is still a lot of button mashing on my part. Have you played using the other characters (that seems possible but I have not tried it)? ^_^ ” So far my entire participation in the combat is pressing basic attack three times*, then a basic arte, then a non-basic arte. Repeat. If TP is low then don't use artes so it can buil…

• Eh, I wouldn't call the story strong. "Strongest in the series" is not saying much for games where the plot is mostly "Adol is shipwrecked somewhere, gets chosen by the local gods to fix things by hitting enemies with a sword, does so." The more recent entries (Origin, SEVEN, Celceta, and Lacrimosa of DANA) have added to that, but you're not gonna be astounded by it. I enjoyed it well enough, and liked some of what it did, but it's not, like, NieR: Automata or anything. And yeah, I recall full c…

• (Hidden Content) Makoto is probably best character, yeah. I also relate to her, I didn't have the outside pressure, and I'm not organized or trying hard, but I had a similar sort of...mental self-image for a while, and was (am) incredibly awkward and just not good at interacting with my peers. My pick might've been the doctor if I could suspend my disbelief about how utterly wrong her medical practice is in every way. Like, every way. There is nothing correct about it at all. I cannot forgive th…

• I posted a bunch of these in a different thread about video game soundtracks a while back, but since this seems to be the official thread now I'll post 'em here. Persona 5 has already been fairly heavily represented here, but it's such a good soundtrack, y'all! Obvious shoutout to the excellent Rivers in the Desert, which is probably my favourite track, but everyone picks that one. Others of note include Jaldabaoth, especially when fused with Our Beginning (which Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight …

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Or, heck, keep Corrin but have their campaign intertwine with the other families. So you keep switching viewpoints between Nohr, Hoshido, and Corrin who's just had their worldview upended and doesn't know who to trust anymore.

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Quote from Vulpes: “Quote from John: “Plus, your suspension of disbelief may find itself a bit stretched by the fact that you can win every battle but are still always on the edge of losing the war, because simply settling into a standard sort of war of attrition or white peace isn't an option, so things just keep escalating despite you crushingly defeating the enemy repeatedly (generally you win your battle but your allies lose theirs, or the enemy has some last-ditch ritual that will win them …

• Figured out what other work Land of the Lustrous really reminded me of, Haibane Renmei, one of my all-time favourites. Both start off fairly cheerful and have a story about a young person trying to find their place in the world, before events lead to emotional turmoil for them and their friends. Lustrous is much more action-based to Haibane Renmei's slice-of-life, but tonally there's a lot of similarities there so far. Which means that if I stick with Lustrous it'll probably leave me in tears...

• I'll shill again for my favourite Tales game. If you like Vesperia then I can strongly recommend Berseria. It has similar combat, streamlined in some ways, made more complex in others, so it's kinda a wash there, but the characters are better-written right out of the gate (I'm 27 hours in to Vesperia and they're better than they were in the early game, but Berseria's were more interesting to me from the start, save one or two of them) and the narrative is much more focused (you've got a clear go…

• Ah, heh, I've some experience with Tales games so that fight wasn't too bad, but you may want to keep the ability to drop/raise the difficulty at will in mind, there's one later boss fight in particular that I had to make easier 'cause it's just so unfair. And yeah, not turn-based I'm afraid. Tales games are all real-time, though slower than something like NieR: Automata, and once you get used to the systems there's not a lot to keep track of, thankfully. The ally AI isn't amazing, but it's not …

• You can change the difficulty (outside of combat) whenever you want, thankfully. Mind if I ask what fight killed you?

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

The dating sim stuff isn't the focus, for sure, but Fates did also have the weird face-rubbing minigame, and also Camilla. I think it's more that the support system went from being a way to improve pre-defined relationships to being a mandatory part of the gameplay involving pairing up everyone and working to get the best relationships. There's a lot more of it than there used to be, and by Fates it had gotten very dating-sim-y, which was a bit of a change.

• So, there's a Humble Bundle for Manga published by Kodansha on right now, which has some standouts like Land of the Lustrous, Mushishi, and Battle Angel Alita. Because of this I've now read the first five volumes of Land of the Lustrous and it's really good! The art makes gorgeous use of negative space and the imagery is just so striking. It's not perfect, I had trouble tracking what was going on in the first volume (I either got better at it or the art shifted in the later ones, not sure which)…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

So, FE games. I'll note that I'm not an expert, I've played the first English FE game on GBA, the Radiant duology (GCN/Wii), Awakening, Fates, and Echoes. Which seems like an impressive list, but I've never actually finished one of them. I love a lot of what they do, but inevitably I lose interest in them, and I'm not quite sure why (I mean, I used to be abysmal at actually finishing games, but even beyond that). Anyway, the big focus on the social aspects of them are new. Until Awakening there …

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Hmm, well, may not be perfect fits, but the following might be worth considering: -Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy -Dragon Quest Builders -Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze -Katamari Damacy REROLL -Mario Kart 8 Deluxe -Megaman Legacy Collection -Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom -New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe -Nintendo Labo -Pokemon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu -Sonic Mania Plus -Super Mario Party -Super Smash Bros. Ultimate -Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! -Various LEGO games -Wonder Boy: The D…

• Quote from Ty.: “Re: Tales of Vesperia battle system Funny, it’s the more recent games who’s battle systems I haven’t liked. Vesperia seemed like a solid refinement to Symphonia without taking it off the rails. ” It's slowly getting better as the game goes on, but it's so slow, there's no animation cancels, animations last for ten minutes per attack (:P), and it just generally feels like I don't have any meaningful choices. You're against one enemy? 3 or 4 combo hits then one arte then stand aro…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

I...really like the joycons. They're an excellent size and fun to use. I use the pro controller sometimes, but it's not a must-have the way the Wii and WiiU ones were.

• Quote from TruEdge67: “The Arena games are after P3 and P4 and have no time shenanigans that I'm aware of. Btw are the P5 and P3 dancing games canon cause last I heard they weren't. Only P4D is. ” Quote from BackSet-Chan: “I would think they weren't cause that would make no sense. ” They're canon. That said, they take place entirely within the Velvet Room as a dream, one which everyone forgets upon awakening. The only ones who recall the whole thing for sure are Elizabeth, Caroline, Justine, and…

• Quote from Ty.: “I just ignore everything that happens to the P3 cast outside of P3. The game ended perfectly, there's no need for any other fluff. Everything else is just side story fan fiction to me. Whether that's technically correct or not doesn't really bother me. Haha. ” Hmm, what stuff do they get involved in after P3? Persona Q is set during P3 and P4 due to time-manipulation nonsense. Dancing in Moonlight doesn't seem to nail down its timeframe, but it seems to have a similar time-manip…

• Oh, sure, I can't, off-hand, think of anything in Persona or SMT where two alternate realities directly interact, but it's not inconceivable that it could happen with the metaphysics so far established.

• Quote from TruEdge67: “So if what's in that spoiler is true I can assume PQ2 is either a dream or non-canon cause that isn't possible and would really screw up the canon of P3. They can't both exist at the same time in the same universe. ” Quote from BackSet-Chan: “Quote from TruEdge67: “So if what's in that spoiler is true I can assume PQ2 is either a dream or non-canon cause that isn't possible and would really screw up the canon of P3. They can't both exist at the same time in the same univer…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

In a case of very apt timing, Ars Technica has just done a breakdown of shipped Switches vs. other consoles: arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01…ion-shipments-in-context/ In terms of shipped (not sold) it seems to be about 10% ahead of the PS4's first two years.

• Atlus has announced the English release of Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth in June! They've also announced a collector's edition bundle with cute buttons, a Koromaru plush, an art book, and a playing card deck with character art. You get the buttons if you pre-order the normal edition or buy it at launch. I'm really hype to have the Shadow Thieves interact with SEES and the Investigation Team, even if it's mostly light, fluffy, dungeon-crawling like Q was. (Also, trailers suggest that P3 FemMC …

• The War Room III

John - - Internet: Serious Business

That article isn't great at describing what he's actually for? Though the implication that Harper of all people is pro-immigration in his rhetoric is kinda hilarious.

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

In Italy? Looks like €60 or so.

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

The PS4 has been on-and-off outselling the Switch since the Switch's launch, and has double the sales of the XBone, so I'd not be surprised if it did better than the Switch. The Switch is doing well, and will hopefully get more 3rd party support because of that, but it's not unprecedented.

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

So, to be clear, some of my favourite games and stories have nobodies as protagonists (and man, with KH3 out that phrase sounds very weird. :P) Persona 1, 2, 4, and 5, for example are about normal people who end up in extraordinary situations. As are the Devil Survivor games, even Tales of Berseria is about a normal woman who ends up going through hell. But in Persona and Devil Survivor the personality-free protagonist is supposed to be a stand-in for you, and the rest of the cast is very strong…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Quote from Zesty Crouton: “XC2 would have been less annoying even with a Rex-like character playing the role of protagonist even though he's not really directly involved with anything going on had Rex been less obnoxious or even remotely likable at all. Like, honestly, it's rare that I play a game with a protagonist who I despise so thoroughly. ” See, I think Rex is fine as a character. He has a personality and drive but isn't arrogant or whiny. He just...doesn't seem to serve a purpose to the p…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

No, the opposite, I'd rather Rex not be in the story. Best as I can tell it's the story of Pyra confronting her past. Perhaps that changes, in fact I'm sure Rex eventually gets some sort of role in the plot, but by the point I gave up on it all the conflict was about Pyra's history. She knew what was going on, the antagonists knew who she was (and she knew who they were), the only reason Rex is important is because he's Pyra's wielder, a role that theoretically almost anyone else could've filled…

• Quote from MVS: “@John Just out of curiosity, can you name some other video game series that actually are worse?In terms of "extremely convolutedness"? It is hard for me to imagine. ” Zelda's timeline. More seriously, I wasn't thinking so much of games, but rather stuff like books and TV shows. Stuff like Baccano! or Durarara!!, which are short but deeply interconnected. But heck, there are some games: The Shin Megami Tensei series as a whole. This is kinda cheating, because every game in this s…