Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • Let’s talk about JRPGS

Castigear - - General Gaming

A remake of FFVI ala Octopath Traveler would be nice. Or even one like the Bravely games...as long as they translate the Magitek/steampunk aesthetic well. I also second the notion that FF8 is underappreciated. So is FFIV for that matter.

• @Winnie @GregariousTree just about covered my whole list...I would only probably add dead cells (kind of a Castlevania meets dark souls kind of thing) and Undertale.

• @Canyarion From a personal preference standpoint, and as someone who had the original (and Zelda 2 when the art style originated) when it came out, when the capability is there yes it’s a problem. In the 8 bit era they made in-game graphics exactly the way they needed to in order to distinguish as many features as they could. But I digress, since I think it is just as silly to defend personal aesthetic opinions as it is to challenge someone else’s.

• To anyone who wants to enjoy the updated and reimagined version, do so. To anyone who wants to preserve their memory of the original and keep it at that, don’t play the new one. I guess I’m confused as to the distress. That being said, I do agree that there seems to be a little too much disconnect between the cinematic art style and the in game art style. I would have liked to have seen a 3D in game version of the 1987-1993 Link aesthetic: Big Bangs Link..buuut as I’ve said many many times, we f…

• Quote from Hoju: “old man Hoju turned 35 today. 35.. holy crap.. lol ” Happy birthday youngster! 41 here.

• Quote from Creiddylad: “I was dead to the world for a bit finishing WoL. Really hit me in the gut again with those Mother 3 spirits that would be the last spirits you fight before the bosses :'^). Now I've picked up Shin Megami Tensei IV. I was recommended this one as a good starting point for SMT in general. I forgot how the games are noted for their difficulty and had to switch to easy mode, but hey I'm just here to have a good time. I really don't feel like dying constantly. ” Nothing wrong w…

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

Yea it’s liable to be a bit frustrating for the casual rpg-er. Lots of things to constantly keep track of in battle. Pokémon=driving an automatic car, XC2=Driving a stick blindfolded with your feet. Ok so it’s not that bad, just a lot of balls to keep in the air. Also, as an aside, resonance of fate= flying a 747. That battle system was obtuse as hell.

• My two cents: If it doesn’t look appealing it probably won’t be, but it’s definitely more than the sum of its parts. It’s more than a visual novel certainly. As with any good game, it’s made as much by the characters as it is the main plot, and as such a plot synopsis doesn’t do it justice. Theyre not perfect by any means, but they have a charm that really can’t be quantified. Not trying to sway anyone of course, because as I said if they don’t look appealing, they probably won’t be..BUT...they …

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

IMO they need to do one of three things: let FF die (15 seems like a good a place as any), ask Mistwalker to save it, or give the guys at Acquire along with Takahashi and Asano a chance at it.

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

Nothing wrong with traditional done well. I’ll take polished tradition over purposeless subverting of convention any day.

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

Smh

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

Both are good, really depends on what you’re looking for imo. Setsuna is a bit melancholy and moody while Octopath is a bit more traditional in its arcs. In my opinion octopath wins both in gameplay and story, IMO, but everyone is different. Which do you like better: secret of mana or final fantasy vi?

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

Quote from Jimin: “Digging back into the Devil Summoner games a bit, myself. I absorb pretty much anything SMT/Persona related. Also since I’m seeing it mentioned a bit, I enjoy the Tales series a lot but I know my opinions on it can be pretty disagreeable sometimes (I actually liked Dawn of the New World kekeke), anyway real excited for Vesperia’s rerelease. ” We spoke about this in another thread, but havt you played digital devil saga 1&2?

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

@Please Understand I’m with you on both Last Remnant and Hyperdimension. I’ll add Eternal Sonata (I just didn’t like the premise) and Lagoon & Paladins Quest for the SNES. The latter is just atrocious. Couple of good ones to add: a couple of the Arc the Lads (I don’t remember which ones..one of them I didn’t care for), and in the tactical vein most of the NIS ones esp Disgaea, and Tactics Ogre (as well as FFT) As far as final fantasy, VI will always be my favorite. IV, 7, 8, And 9 (which I felt …

• Quote from BackSet-Chan: “Why is the south still full of confederates? ” Well I’m right here in the middle of small town West Texas, and it’s really not full of them, but they do exist and are super vocal. Without getting too political, the one thing the super far right and super far left have in common is that they are intolerant of differing opinions, just like all other extremists.

• I tell people Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all I want. They can tell me whatever they want. I am ok with people saying "I don't do X because of my Y". I am not okay with people saying "YOU can't do X because of my Y."

• Agreed. I decided to shelve the anime DR3 for now in favor of V3, and the protagonist is definitely more on the ball.

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

My philosophy has always been that I prefer to decide things on my own. Especially for five bucks. I've played a lot of terrible games that I had been warned about, but I've also played a bunch of personal favorites that I was warned about. My tastes don't always coincide with the general consensus.

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

I liked 3 a lot. I also liked 5 a lot, but I think I am in the minority there. The story of 4 didn't grab me.

• Let’s talk about JRPGS

Been playing Jrpgs since final fantasy 1. Its simplistic, but In retrospect, the fact that there is a plot twist in that early of a jrpg is impressive. If it is story driven and has stat progression I feel it counts. Jrpgs are probably 80% of what I play. I’ve played hundreds in the last 30 years, let me see if I can list some that stand out to me. There’s the obvious ones, final fantasy and anything else squaresoft, dragon warrior/quest, Persona, SMT, Suikoden, tales, trails, fire emblem, xeno,…

• Quote from Winnie: “Hey has anyone here played The Messenger yet? Was thinking about getting it, the style reminds me of Shovel Knight. ” I got it, it starts out a straight forward platformer then kind of morphs into a metroidvania. Gameplay reminds me of the old nes ninja gaidens. I dig it.

• What's your song of the week?

Castigear - - Entertainment

Just an old Heart song that popped back into my head, it never was one of their biggest hits but I’ve always had a soft spot for it. youtu.be/k-JpBjLXVkI

• To me Danganronpa 2 does a better job of making you care about the characters (in most instances) BEFORE killing them off or making them murderers. D1 I felt just did that business as kind of each character’s epilogue. Less 4th quarter character development in D2, I guess you would say. I feel D2 telegraphs the ending more, but it’s more satisfying despite that. I ignored the pet.

• My NES Action Set, Christmas 1986. It was the start of something big.

• Boogiepop & Others is definitely better than phantom (Boogiepop Doesn’t Laugh is the manga adaptation of that light novel, for those that want to check it out). Others always gave me a bit of a Persona 2 vibe to be honest.; high school, supernatural rumors, dash of occult. Different feel than phantom, which wasn’t an adaptation of a later one per se but rather was more of a mishmash of Others, Boogiepop at Dawn, and some original anthology type stuff. Something faithful to book 1 is welcome, but…

• CAPTION! That Screenshot! II

Castigear - - General Zelda

Let’s see. First: @Violothesheikahboy Second: @deathtrappicnic Also, @Tead cut me some slack I’ve been MIA for almost a year

• Finally got around to starting index. About 9 episodes in, liking it so far. Will alternate index and rail gun because I’m that guy. Nothing new this season really jumped out at me to start, so I figured with season 3 out, now is as good a time as any. Speaking of older anime, I’ve been itching to rewatch boogiepop phantom and trigun lately. Isn’t it weird how your mind clumps the things you experienced around the same time together in your mind? I was thinking about Persona 4 the other day and …

• Yep I did all that research. I’m a completionist so I’ll watch it all even though the despair arc doesn’t really interest me, because as you said it is tied to the future arc and designed to be viewed alternating, so that’s the plan. As before with the other games, “I prefer to discover the duds on my own”. Anywho...I’m interested in what Too Kyo has planned next, this new project definitely looks...them. l_5b977d435a471-noscale.jpg

• Quote from Canyarion: “This is related to what Nintendo is thinking: Do you think they'll make a possible SS HD more 'open world'? I've always believed that each of the areas could be visited in a random order, if only the game has a few small tweaks. If Nintendo tried to open up SS and make it less linear, it could be a training ground for the next Zelda. I want to see a Zelda where I can go in any direction, but still have meaningful stories that take place in the present. I think it's doable,…

• It borrows a lot, but by the end I had decided it combines it all nicely. At this point I can say it edges out Ace for me, but not Zero Escape. I just finished 2, and I like where it went, but I was frustrated to discover afterwards that the story started in 1&2 is only finished in an anime. The third game is mostly unrelated

• “Must be a new Mario Kart expansion...” he says to himself.

• Quote from Big Daddy Biggles: “Sol - none of those games appear to be Rainbow 6: Siege. Just thought I would point that out. ” Rainbow what?

• Yea...we last got a 2d Zelda in 2015, and last got a remaster in 2016. We got a LOT of Zelda content between 2015 and 2017, but that was the exception to the rule, not the norm. Chill a bit, in my day we went 4-5 years between ANYTHING.

• CAPTION! That Screenshot! II

Castigear - - General Zelda

I'm on a roll! Here goes: vdjoj6pjtg5x.png

• Smart developers don’t get hung up on partnerships with consoles, they move to the ones that can best deliver their experience or hit the most people...like when square moved from Nintendo to Sony. I just know Atlus enjoys their handheld market, and it is time to move from 3ds to Switch. It’s the best of both worlds...it’s why smt moved from 3ds to switch, and it’s why (I feel) Persona in some form or fashion (besides q) will land there too. My dream scenario is a Persona hd collection with 3&4 …

• We get it, you like everything about the direction they’re taking. Not everyone does. For some of us, optional=inconsequential. You basically have the Great Plateau, Ganon, and a bunch of sidequests. I enjoy the game but I don’t want THAT again.

• Few things are ever guaranteed...but my gauge is slightly tilted to “likely”. Regardless, I’m ready for some smtv info. This is kind of old news, but new to me: apparently the smtv producer said back in August that it is coming along nicely, and they are looking at potentially remaking or porting Nocturne: gamerevolution.com/news/423003…idering-a-nocturne-remake So ports and remakes are definitely on their agenda.

• I agree w @John. To be fair, those tweets were two and a half years ago. The world has changed, and the Switch is not the failure many people thought it was going to be. At that time, Atlus was firmly in 3ds mode and people still didn't really know what the Switch was going to be, exactly. I won't point and laugh obviously, but after The Game Awards showing that A&N are as close as ever if not closer, I personally expect it. More importantly, the persona 5 engine is likely going to be used for m…

• Quote from The Baton of the Wind: “Its not like there are no rewards for finding them. For less than half the 900, you can have your entire inventory opened up. So I don't buy that being their message. I personally never found em all. Got to 885 and just stopped. And honestly I can't say it would satisfy me very much more to find the rest of em. And I like that I can choose not to and not miss out. Honestly, as many people that hated the Triforce quest in TWW, but then have those people come bac…

• I ended up not getting that day off so I really just started. Chapter 2.