Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • @gamtos We knew all of that going into the game though. That fault lies with the marketing. What we didn't know were the details, both past and present, and that is what they didn't tell us much about. All we got in the beginning was why we should stab ganon in the face, which is a norm in any narrative.

• So are we counting the fact that basically half the soundtrack is some variant of the main Hyrule Field song? Honestly even if that's the case, it doesn't take much away in my book. The game did an excellent in conveying the mood it was going for in its music. The desperation in Midna's Lament, the call to adventure in Hyrule Field, the feeling something amiss at nighttime, the desolate isolation in Snowpeak, the vast imposing desert in the Gerudo region, etc. etc. I could go on. TP probably has…

• What are you buying?

pj777 - - General Chit-Chat

To go off my avatar for a sec, the Complete Calvin and Hobbes Collection was for sale on amazon, and I have no regrets.

• Do You Want Shrines to Return?

pj777 - - Future Zelda

I mean...I wouldn't mind if they came back, just they need to be treated differently. For one they can't be the main source of puzzle solving in the game. They're just too short to really allow puzzles to grow and evolve in a logical order, and if they get too big well you might as well just turn it into a full on dungeon. Two, the aesthetic has to change between shrines. It's cool the first ten times, but 120 of the same thing is bleh. Three, they really can't expect to overworld content to be …

• Well when I first saw Zelda's character model for BoTW wearing a more practical travelling outfit I was seriously hoping that she was either A playable at some point and/or B being used as a companion travelling with you in the game. You can imagine my disappointment when I figured out she was locked in a cupboard...again. I do think it would be interesting to experiment with some kind of system like this seeing how well it worked for games like the Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. I loved ST b…

• If pretty much every major non-linear game in the last five years can do this with no issues, then I wouldn't say it's something difficult to do. BoTW's problem was that it didn't tell enough of its story, not the way it was told.

• Then you're arguing something different. I said before I know stories are linear in nature, after all you can't have a story structure without...well the structure. That doesn't change the nature of the game. A non-linear game can still tell a compelling story.

• @Advance Let me clarify, a non-linear open-world game =/= bad storytelling. You just named a game that pulls off open worlds and non-linearity yet still tells a good story. Now I get stories themselves are linear in nature, but that doesn't mean good stories can't be told in a non-linear game. That's what I'm getting at. There's a common belief that when it comes to storytelling there's a tradeoff. You can either have a very linear game and be able to tell a good story, or the opposite and have …

• Divine Beast Appreciation Thread

pj777 - - Modern Zelda

While the Divine Beasts weren't long, they weren't bad either. In fact imo they were very well designed, using a central mechanic that changed how you interacted with the dungeon and took full advantage of the 3d space. The traditional lock and key maze designs we're used to work very well for 2d Zelda games, but in 3d the full potential is ignored. So yeah, the dungeons weren't particularly hard but they did make me think and had me tackle an obstacle from every angle rather than scouring each …

• Pet Peeves (Gameplay)

pj777 - - General Zelda

Well it still counts as gameplay, so the biggest recent annoyance was fetch quests in BoTW. Now I've ranted about this before but essentially I hate blatant grinding in general with video games. I was hoping that the quests in the game would be more akin to those of MM where you had gameplay scenarios alongside building the lore and stories of the world and NPCs. Instead we "I like lizards! Find me 5 lizards!". The worst offender was near one of the inns where there's a guy saying there's a ches…

• What I don't understand is how people keep thinking that linear = better story telling. Honestly the market is saturated with so many open world games that manage to tell a good story (most in a non-linear manner) that you'd think this myth would've disappeared.

• To add on to what gamtos said, to me the Royal Guard Uniform looks more like a formal dress uniform, similar to how the Air Force has their "blues" (dress uniform) and their ABUs (camo fatigues/working/combat uniform) or the other branches' equivalents. It could be ceremonial as well, but to me it looks like the uniform a soldier would wear to a formal event, not just to take a role in a ceremony. TP looks practical to me, BoTW could be viable assuming that the areas not covered by plate have ei…

• @Zero_Origin Oh I know I get that. I'm just saying BoTW's approach worked because of what the game it simply is. I doubt BoTW will set the standard for future games in terms of dungeon design, there were too many overall complaints about the system. I love Hyrule Castle, I think it's one of the best Zelda dungeons in the series, but for a different set of reasons that I think MM's Stone Tower is one of the best as well. While BoTW did have some good puzzles, it's dungeon design concept didn't al…

• ^ Does this game also take place in a city at the bottom of the ocean?

• I would like to see more dungeons that fit naturally within the world themselves. I love open-world games and I like that BoTW returned to the genre, and this idea would blend perfectly with it. Take the ice manor in TP for instance. You don't even realize that its a dungeon at first, but after navigating around it some you start to realize exactly what it is. It's designed to seem like someone's home yet giving us the challenges we've come to expect in a Zelda dungeon. Not only that but a mansi…

• Who’s Your Avatar?

I hope everyone can recognize it without me telling them. But it's Calvin and Hobbes, probably having a deep conversation while rolling at life endangering speed down a hill.

• Apex Legends has me addicted to it. It fixed everything I hated in PUBG, so it'll probably be my go-to multiplayer game for awhile.

• Zelda: Is it for old people?

pj777 - - General Zelda

When 14 year olds complain about being old... (that's a joke)

• Well what style Zelda game are we talking about? Hyrule Castle in BoTW had a perfect synergy with the gameplay mechanics, and it fit naturally in the overworld where the divine beasts stuck out. I thought TP had a good grasp on dungeon design, able to make them so they seemed to be natural additions to the overworld. An abandoned manor deep in the mountains, a city floating in the sky, an ancient prison in the desert. I mean you can throw puzzles anywhere, but how well the dungeon fits with the …

• That has nothing to do with being unobservant... That would mean you're having trouble finding to seeds to begin with, which means the task being repetitive isn't even a factor. It's repetitive because you trip over them on accident every twenty feet. What's on top of that mountain? A seed. What's in that tree? A seed. What comes out of the water? A massive spirit dragon that's reminiscent of the ancient goddesses of the land. Also a seed. It's not necessarily a bad thing. There being so many me…

• Honestly I’m glad they didn’t hide a big reward behind the Korok Seeds. It’s just too tedious of a quest for me to go through that much effort. The only time I’ve ever pushed for collecting every item are in games like Banjo-Kazooie, outside of that I just feel no desire to go on these Easter egg hunts. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten every heart piece in any Zelda game for that matter, all because I don’t care for getting them all for the sake of getting them.

• What are you buying?

Had to buy a new door and some parts for my fireplace today. Wanted to finish converting it back to wood-burning and had to make some changes that were done for the gas insert. With my tax return coming soon though, I see a new TV in my future...

• So...a life simulator? I mean it's an idea I'm not entirely against. When I get invested in a story and it's characters I always want to dive deeper into it, BoTW and WW being two prime examples for me in the Zelda series. What you're talking about there isn't a game, but games. It's kinda like what we got in ACII, Brotherhood, and Revelations where we saw Ezio grow during different stages of his life. It went all the way from birth to his death at old age (if you count animated extras). It woul…

• Technically in most Zelda games Link is a child, or at the very least a teenager. So if you think about it, you're not just getting a glimpse, but a first-hand account.

• Zeldafy other games!

pj777 - - Future Zelda

Ugh...at this point if the subject derails too much a mod can let us know... You can see the reasons why people would want it, they're in the last several of posts. All you have to do is read them. If Nintedo's charging you for online service you should expect it to come with all the standard bells and whistles with the ability to tailor it to your liking. Not doing so then telling customers to use another application isn't just lazy, it's poor design. I can think of plenty of situations where c…

• Zeldafy other games!

pj777 - - Future Zelda

Well the Switch doesn't have Discord, or any Nintendo system for that matter. Mic support is limited as well, and I'm not going to count having to also utilize a PC or phone to get around it as reasonable. I have some less than polite things I can say about their phone app too... Look, I really can't dig too far into this without derailing things too much. In game chat has become a standard feature in any MP game to the point where I just expect a game to have it, and I count it against them whe…

• Zeldafy other games!

pj777 - - Future Zelda

Why not? If you're playing with friends wouldn't you want to talk to them? Online chat's a standard in games for a reason.

• Zeldafy other games!

pj777 - - Future Zelda

As in in-game communication, mics n' stuff. My point being that Nintendo games lack severely in the social aspect with online, something that MMO's rely a great deal on.

• Zeldafy other games!

pj777 - - Future Zelda

Miyamoto is very...disconnected from the modern industry in many ways. He has a gift for Mario and Zelda games, but I wouldn't trust the guy to touch any other series. I don't think he truly understands modern gamers nor does he understand anything that's not a Mario or Zelda game. As for Zelda online...Nintendo still has a ways to go before they get online down. MMOs are very social games, where they seem hell bent to remove anything social from an online game. Take Mario Kart. No mic support, …

• I've become very cautious with trailers and reveals in general the older I get. How they decide to make the trailer changes what sort of information I want to see in it. If they go for a pre-rendered CGI trailer, then I expect it to give some information to the story and stay true to the spirit of the gameplay. A perfect example of a good trailer like this imo is Dishonored 2, where they reveal Emily as the PC. Fun trailer, great animation, and it gave us a basic insight as to what we should exp…

• Apex Legends

pj777 - - General Gaming

I honestly don't mind the microtransactions in the game...yet. We'll see. I tend to be more lenient with f2p games with this system. But it's way better than PUBG ever was. The only thing is I've had occasional server issues and it crashed on me once. Hopefully kinks that get ironed out in the first couple of patches.

• Apex Legends

pj777 - - General Gaming

I just started to download it. Every review site, even the more independent ones all recommend it. I'm at least going to give it a try, ftp so no harm in that.

• Another thought on dungeons, I remember watching a review on BoTW and they made a good point in regards to the shrines. Basically the length of each shrine didn't always allow for a puzzle concept to build and evolve in interesting and challenging ways. In most shrines you would either have a one-off puzzle or a three stage-puzzle. In the latter it would normally go first by introducing a concept, then presenting an obstacle, then a timed challenge obstacle. But non of the puzzles really evolve …

• @gamtos Just to make sure we're on the same page, its specifically the aesthetics I'm complaining about with the shrines, the content I've always been in agreement that they're very well designed. They're almost like Portal where you have a few basic mechanics that are combined in hundreds of ways. It works really well in both cases. It would've added more variety in the game world if some shrines were replaced with game world locations for the puzzles instead. They wouldn't have to remove most …

• Honestly I think it has less to do from LoZ than it does from Aonuma playing Skyrim. He talked about the game a lot when asked about inspiration for BoTW and Bethesda games have always had a problem with their dungeons being too cookie-cutter. I think they were going for a similar model, but didn't realize that they had multiple dungeon types and variations among that to break the mold. I just think they could've used places like the temple in the canyon, the fountains, and Akalla Citadel as a m…

• The same dungeon. Over...and over...and over...and over...and over...and over...and...a-a.... The shrines were overused in the game. Now don't get me wrong, most of them were well created, but they could've had a few less shrines and instead use those puzzles for some alternate indoor locations.

• Moving

I've been in and out of different places for periods of time, six months here, a year there, that kind of thing. I've lived in places like Miami, St. Louis, San Antonio, and a lot of smaller towns. Usually they've been for work in one form or another. In between it all I've always come back to Pittsburgh, and since switching jobs I bought a house near where I grew up. I have my heart set on staying in the area for the long run, and I managed to get a little land out in the country to enjoy. One …

• This is weird to me how every video and article talking about this adds it up like it's some devastating blow. This isn't a cancelled announcement, it's a delay which is something a Zelda fan site should be very used to at this point. And even then they're bringing it over to Retro Studios aka the dev who created the original Prime trilogy (I thought they were doing it all along but...I guess not?). Is that really a bad thing? Retro has a good rep with the series, and they may not even be starti…

• Quote from ich Will: “@pj777 I think that sounds good. That's sort of what I had in mind, that Link should be limited to repairing and buffing his weapons. When it comes to crafting, part of me feels like it may not be the best fit for a Zelda game if Link could do everything himself. As you said, NPCs might be better left for such tasks. When it comes to buffs, another method that comes to mind is something like applying White Chuchu Jelly to your shield to give it a (slippery icy) shield surfi…

• I imagine weapon crafting/repairing would work the same way it does in several other games in existence. The Witcher 3, Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV, or even Dying Light. Weapon durability is a common feature in games, just in those ones they make it so that you don't straight up lose your weapon after a few hits. Personally, I would take more of the Witcher approach. Link isn't a blacksmith, but he can perform certain repairs (sharpening blades for instance) in the field. You have a certain meter tha…