Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 818.
  • General Card Games Thread

EmptyStar - - General Gaming

Thank you VERY much for breaking it down for me Foo! =) I appreciate the in-depth approach as always. I've got one other rules question. The Spell Queller discussion got me thinking. I feel like the answer is obvious but I'm not too sure: I play a Topplegiest or a Spirit of some sort. I already have my nice supportive Spirit, Spectral Shepard, on the field, resolved: Image.ashxImage.ashx If my opponent was to try and Bolt my Topplegiest I could bounce it back to my hand with Shepard because in o…

Very excited about this development!! =) -Thanks for the help on understanding those rule tidbits Foo! -I hope to have the remaining 4 tribal decks done by the beginning of April. I'll be heading to a reception of a Tolkien exhibition on April 4th which would be a nice culmination of the past few months of building some Middle-Earth-inspired decks =) -I'm moving onto Merfolk and Elementals next. Merfolk are gonna be mill oriented and the Elementals will be 5 color (slightly more Izzet/ Grixis al…

I'll share my thoughts on Innistrad on the next go! I'm not in the proper mindset to get into it. =p I've been watching the LotR trilogy on in the background the past few weeks so I got all into working more on Lorwyn stuff. First, I discovered the playtest button on Tappedout. That's a big help for helping conceptualizing decks. Treefolk are done (I got an urge to do it after watching the Ents in Two Towers lol). I love the result. - Wall of Roots in general and Treefolk Harbinger being able to…

youtube.com/watch?v=U_FY8dKyJFo Thanks for the clearing that up about Spell Queller, Foo! That makes sense. I remember back when I was first throwing the deck together I remember being confused about how exiling sorceries and stuff worked (maybe I asked about it here?), but that makes perfect sense! So after a permanent resolves it ceases being a spell basically, right? Thanks for the correction, I feel like I will finally have a handle on that card for next time! Here's what I was up against in…

So we met up for commander finally. It was supposed to be a four-way battle (3 with our own decks, the 4th piloting a friend's deck) but it ended up just being my friend and I. We did a match with 30 life instead of 40. I played against my friend's Oloro deck. We were perfectly balanced. Of our four decks - Traft, Aurelia, Oloro, and Arcum Dagsson (piloted by my friend who would not have known the combos) - the two we used seemed the most oriented towards a long drawn out game. I was worried. We…

Foo did you see the new Teysa?

Also I don't know enough about what age range you teach (we've gotta get to know each other outside of our mtg personalities- probably back at Farore!), but I like to imagine you teaching a bunch of elementary school kids and at lunch on the playground they come at you with their cobbled-together decks and you toy with them with your crazy Latern Control/ KCI decks. Thanks for the goat tips, will look at them closely tomorrow.

I don't have time to respond to the post in full currently, but quick thoughts on MaRo's tweet: I don't think it confirms a return to Lorwyn, but new Faeries on the horizon is certainly a good thing! I'd love a return of course, but in case we don't I'm happy enough with the occasional references we get in core/commander sets or reprinted in Masters sets with new art (UMA gave us quiet a few!). If we do go back of course, I would absolutely try out the draft environment for the set(s). My friend…

Hope everyone had a nice holiday! First, catching up on old stuff: I finished Eventide. Thoughts on it and the rest of books below. Spoilers: (Hidden Content) That was the last book series I read since Harry Potter as a kid, and those I stopped reading at book 5 because it got too boring. My buddy at work suggested I check out the Gormengast series next. Foo, I have a new buddy who plays Magic! He's great. He had a really fun werewolf deck. It was a good match for my two Lorwyn decks. He ended u…

Thanks again! I really appreciate you playing those matches! -I'm very glad Peppersmoke gets some good mileage against the elf deck. I really enjoy how strategic the early game plays out- Elves wanna get out their mana dorks and the Faeries want to stop them. In addition to the Spellstutter having some difficult with Trapper because he's out so quick, she also has difficulty countering Leaf Gilder since there probably wouldn't be another Faerie on the field and Leaf Gilder is CMC 2. Still, Peppe…

Awesome! Kithkin seem like a big underrated deck. I had no idea they were so prominent in Lorwyn standard. I've been looking back into Lorwyn limited and old writeups and I would've thought Elves and Merfolk would've had the edge, along with Faeries, which I know also aged very well. Glad Kithkin preformed well- they seem like the underdog tribe! Maralen looks like such a fun card. Glad you and your student are having good luck with her in Commander. Her effect seems like the kinda thing that's …

woo! t's been a while! I haven't played Magic since my last post, but I'm meeting up with some friends on Friday, including some new folks who have never played but are intrigued. =) I'm getting around to catching up on the past few pages. Hope you're enjoying Canada Foo! I recognized my favorite Rebel Bird while scrolling through. Good old Nemesis! I need to spend more time with your deck rundowns, there's a certainly a wealth of experience conveyed through those posts - I like looking at playe…

Ha, goofy combo all the way. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fallow-fields/?cb=1534472902 Took out the Assailants and moonholds (bummer about the latter, loved the art)- added in Din of the Fireherd, a fourth Flickerwisp, two Cloudshifts, and 3 Trading Posts. Trading post is not only a flavor win, but it also works exceedingly well integrating the artifact creatures- it makes them feel less tacked-on. Thanks for introducing me to the card, What do you think? Is the CVC too high? Haven't had a strictly c…

Started building a joke deck, I think it turned out surprisingly cohesive and playable. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fallow-fields/?cb=1534363515 Stock the field with goats and (evil) farmers, power them up, then attack en masse. You know I'm a sucker for theme decks, especially Lorwyn/ Shadowmoor-- and I've been wanting do do something with Scarecrows for a while. Turns out Red/ White gave me the answer: the red/ white cross section of the block is seemingly made up in part, strangely, of farmers an…

I played 2 games of magic yesterday! (Unfortunately no Peppersmoke came up so I didn't get a chance to use it to its fullest ability) =p Foo, I gave an attempt of a turn-by-turn below if you'e curious. round 1: Ixalan Vampires (me) vs BW Aristocrats (Hidden Content) round 2: Faeries (me) vs Flamekin (Hidden Content)

@Lady Sunshine mtg is my favorite drinking game =p I'm a huge lore fan myself, @BackSet. Whenever I make a magic deck myself I like keeping the the cards consistent- visually or largely from the same plane. Foo, wow! Thanks for all of your input and feedback. And for recording your matches. I hope they were fun. Faeries: latest Yeah, taking out the more tempo-oriented cards was definitely conscious, they just seemed a little too stifling/ aggressive- especially early on- for my group. What I wan…

DAMN. I'll need to take a look at that thread in its entirety tomorrow myself- standalone custom magic cards are cool enough, but making an entire set-- complete with proper rarity distribution, themes, mechanics, and color balancing-- that's a whole other level. I remember seeing a western set someone made, complete to the point where it had all of its artwork properly sourced and placed on custom templates. The cards were intended to be printed out and placed into sleeves and be fully usable. …

• Quote from Chel: “Quote from EmptyStar: “If anyone would like a personalized 10 reasons why you should join Farore, please let me know. ” I'm interested and intrigued. How much does one personalized copy of 10 reasons why you should join Farore cost? Is the shipping free? ” Yes. Farore is the Amazon.com of clans. Everyone in it gets Prime treatment. Edit: can I mention Amazon on here or am I going to get ZU sued?

• Clan Placement

EmptyStar - - Newbie Central

If anyone would like a personalized 10 reasons why you should join Farore, please let me know. Edit: This also extends to everyone already in Farore

Anyone following the latest commander 2018 spoilers in mtg? I'm excited for Aminatou and Estrid decks. the Bant deck with enchantments appeals to me because of my own Traft commander deck. I'm looking forward to seeing what individual cards I can nab from it and work into mine. Aminatou looks pretty cool. I'm curious about how the deck is gonna look. Her art alone is what drew me in- I've been aware of McKinnon's work for a bit and recently started looking more into his influences- turns out the…

Hey, hi, hello. Now I need a deck box. Any tips? It needs to fit 100 cards (sleeved with Ultra Pro Eclipse Mattes), 18 tokens, 2 alternate arts for my commander (am I feeling contemplative Traft this time? Heroic Traft, standing on the coast? Duty-bound and stoic Traft?) , and 2 dice. I've been looking into the Shadows over Innistrad Gift Box. It's spooky. 71tbQvRRl4L._SX425_.jpg Very on brand. mtg%2Bsoi%2Bgift%2Bbox%2B2.JPG (the inside) But then I found this: s-l300.jpg Shadow Over innistrad fa…

Re: Spirit deck I was originally gonna do Saprolings- Ghave with Dominaria Saprolings and others. But right before I committed and started buying the pieces, Tendershoot Dryad got bought out and spiked in price. I was too bitter and decided to make something else instead. =p Drogskol Cavalry was what initially got me into Spirits. I loved the alt art from the intro pack, I mean I love ghost horsies. Plus the rest of the spirits just happened to remind me of this guy. The thing that finally pushe…

!!! I didn't even notice it was black mana for its Flashback cost. Thanks. =)

dCjr7I3.jpg From tonight. Look at me-- two Extort triggers and everything. Like. A. Pro. =p

Thanks for clarifying things! =) I played magic tonight! with MY decks this time! =D I played against that friend of mine that's been playing since Odyssey (and then stopped around Mirrodin). He still played like a pro. He shared my decks. It was vamps vs Faeries. The Vampires won every round haha, regardless of who was playing it. The vampire deck was fast- I realized, Foo, you mentioned that Swords to Plowshares was a broken card in the deck, but that didn't even come up in any of our matches.…

Thanks Foo and Sabbo. I'm curious now about how exiling a non-permanent would compare to returning a non-permanent to the hand (do cards even do that? I can't think of an example). I get why Exiling is better than returning to the hand or putting in the graveyard, it's just that "in the moment negation" that confuses me. I guess it comes from the old yugioh proverb (lol?)- "MST doesn't negate", which is to say that a common removal card, Mystical Space Typhoon, could destroy cards, but their eff…

Hi everyone sorry I've been gone no time to chat long time no see I will catch up on the last few pages soon, etc. D= Foo! I am VERY confused. Everything I thought I understood about magic has been UPENDED. Spell Queller. I'm looking up a bunch of strategies for Spirits (jumping into EDH and want to start with them), and I'm rehearsing how players like to use this card. Turns out they use it on more than just creatures and enchantments. How can you exile a sorcery? It doesn't counter a spell, ju…

I played my first match! We ended up just playing with the duel decks, 4 of us met up, and we played twice. I played using merfolk both rounds- and lost them both! =D Playing with the deck was felt cumbersome since I had no idea what the contents were and overall wasn't sure I was to be doing with it (after inspecting it afterwards I concluded that the deck wants to make use of islandwalk and other abilities to attack directly)! The decks were both super user friendly-though, and generally left …

Also, in an effort to make the thread vaguely more fun, here are these. I regularly browse the reddit for bad mtg combos. Here are some of my favorites: BnrsAL7.png "Captivating Crew Eats your opponent's creatures": N4wGnhh.png "Hey, come join our crew. We’re not slug monster planeswalkers from dominaria’s ice age, we promise.” -One of the commentators "Your Whirler is stuck between a Roc and Heart place": FSDr2sMC7vq7c48Y1iNiP7C55hPEaQAOYnTcDVb2_rY.png reddit.com/r/BadMtgCombos/ A lot more of t…

D'aw. Too bad about Vigi and Folan. Maybe in a future update! How often does that game add new cards? Thanks for your help Foo. I don't foresee that coming up too often- I find this deck a good learning experience because it's complex and there are so many things that it can do (and do so quickly). I like exploring the confusing/ crazy scenarios because it's really helping me understand the rules! I'm approaching these questions not as strategic ideas but rather ways to understand how the stack …

Thanks for all of your help @Foo! All that makes PERFECT sense-- really! I appreciate all of it. I will reread the breakdown of the battle phases and Vona bit, but other than that it's surprisingly easy to make sense of. I have not seen that blog. I will read it! Thanks for going into more detail about Lorwyn's design process. So it sounds like cards were designed mechanically first, and then the lore was designed to fit around that? =o They still hit a home run. Anyway, my playgroup grew anothe…

Thanks for your help Foo! Some questions: I may have misspoke when I said stack. The general intricacies of combat phase are more what I'm grappling with now. I have a couple of questions before I start playing in a few days. All of the intro videos explaining the combat phase are either WAY too basic or WAYYYY too confusing. I wanna get this out of the way because my brain feels broke having tried to learn about how combat works in Magic. I hope by asking specific questions-- about my specific …

Wow, that's pretty crazy that it got out. I can't wait to see the art. Coming back o Dominaria is gonna be awesome. Speaking of art, @Lady Sunshine, here is my card that the illustrator signed. Tristan was one of my professors at SVA years back and I nerded out and brought it in on like my second day of class. =) CJqmtZh.jpg One of his cards, Merfolk Looter, is getting reprinted in A25. I *think* it's gonna be the first time one of his is getting printed with a modern boarder? Also, I love your …

I didn't really like the Ixalan Vampire tokens (they looks out of place), so I made my own! kicFBAv.png Made with all the cool arts I liked but didn't get to use in my deck =p Now I need to figure out how to print them? I made their dimensions a bit more square than cards so they won't fit in sleeves. I'm probably gonna print on cardstock and laminate them.

You mean my cards shouldn't look like this? =( yqU2bcu.jpg Thanks for your suggestion. I hadn't heard of Dragon Shield up until like a month ago and it seems like there's a big craze around them now. How do they stack up against others? I wanna get the perfect fit ones! I'm traditionally a collector and use toploader hard sleeves for protection but this is my first time playing anything so I'm not used to the flimsy ones. The Scarecrows have always stood out to me. Lorwynn was such an aesthetica…

Hello h5IwAZh.gif You may not know me: I only post in Farore. ...Oh. I recognize everyone on this page. Nevermind. Well, I am trying to teach myself Magic. I made myself a deck. 4H9Hk7R.jpg look at it. Behold: ~the deck~. I am gonna be playing casually with my friends! I think it's going to be fun. I was totally taken in by the theme of vampire conquistadors with Ixalan and wanted to build a deck around them! I played Yugioh previously and I was super into Psychics which were a big lifegain deck…

• Gluefoot

• What's Your Go-To Food?

EmptyStar - - General Chit-Chat

Knorr-Rice-Sides.jpg These things. They're a dollar and they microwave. And they come in a variety of fun flavors

• Monster Hunter: Generations

Quote from Khao: “Still trying to decide if it's worth getting this game when I've barely scratched the surface of MH4 (barely 40 hours of single player gameplay, didn't even do multiplayer). ” I would get this. the maps are pretty much all new so you'll start off with a fresh outlook on content. The first few monsters you fight are from MH4U so you should have an easy transition. If you get it though, I would definitely suggest getting into online play-- that's really where the series shines.

• Monster Hunter: Generations

I'm still HR1 though! D= I do have a full set of Bnahbnrahba armor though, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. a fashionable accomplishment.