Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • I remember ZU when...

pawptart - - General Chit-Chat

Quote from Cody: “Quote from pawptart: “So what have I missed in the last, oh, three years since I was away? Obviously a forum overhaul -- that much is easy to see. Other than that from just a quick glance it looks like it's mostly business as usual with the addition of a BotW forum? ” Well Breath of the Wild has been a big deal on the Zelda side of things. We also have a bunch of boards added or merged or moved around. For example our Dungeons and Dragons board is relatively new. ” How is membe…

• I remember ZU when...

So what have I missed in the last, oh, three years since I was away? Obviously a forum overhaul -- that much is easy to see. Other than that from just a quick glance it looks like it's mostly business as usual with the addition of a BotW forum?

• The Joys of Poptarts

I feel a strange calling to this thread...

• I remember ZU when...

I, too, was somehow found by Cody and asked to post here, so here I am. It's been ages since I've even checked this site. I think maybe the last time I posted something was around 2012 or 2013? Man, I'm old. EDIT: Damn, I had a bitchin' avatar and sig.

• Quote from KingOfHeart: “This kind of also proves that OOT is a fav because everyone says it's their Fav” What? That's obvious. If I say a game is my favorite, then of course it's my favorite. If a lot of people say it's their favorite, then it follows that they aren't lying to you. Quote from KingOfHeart: “and that this is the first game they chose because of it.” Eh... I don't think this data really allows you to make any kind of comparison between the numbers very well. I mean, if you expecte…

• I've lived in rural Tennessee all my life. Here, it's assumed that everyone you meet has a membership at any one of our dozen churches within a 10 mile radius. With that, it's heavily Republican. Atheism and homosexuality, if admitted, is pretty much social suicide if you're older than 25, especially since if one person in the community knows, literally EVERYONE will know within the week. For people younger than 25 I've definitely felt that we are becoming more liberal than the previous generati…

• Zelda Wii U First Impressions

pawptart - - Future Zelda

Quote from A Link To My Past: “Graphics look good and will likely grow on me as per usual. However, I am disappointed that the realistic HD art from the Wii U trailer has been dropped. Given the Wii U's capabilities its a shame they haven't been utilised to expand on that WIi U trailer.” People don't seem to understand this, but the point of a tech demo is to make ONE ROOM look as amazing as possible. Sure, that one room looked gorgeous, but is it feasible to craft scenery of that caliber on the…

• Quote from HylianKnight: “You like that art style, that is good for you, and even though I don't like it, I hope you enjoy the game with that look (I seriously do).” Well, it seems like you wanted a dark style, which you keep calling "realistic". Twilight Princess is pretty damn cartoony. Go take a peek back at it if you don't believe it; I think you'll find that if you really look at it, the effects make it look more realistic than it actually is. Just because this game isn't dark doesn't make …

• The Final Fantasy series

pawptart - - General Gaming

Quote from John: “The problem with the junction system is that it actively punishes you for levelling up. The higher your level the tougher enemies are...but your stats don't increase at all. The only way to keep your power equivalent to the mobs you'll be fighting is to grind junctions and run away from combat. It's all very stupid.” From what I understand from my limited experience, GFs for the basis for attacks rather than magic and physical attacks like previous Final Fantasy games. GFs do g…

• The Final Fantasy series

pawptart - - General Gaming

Quote from John: “VII lost me due to its poor translation. If Square would ever get their stuff in line and re-translate it I'd probably love it. Until then I just keep being taken out of the story by the spelling and grammar mistakes, never mind the out-and-out wrong translations sometimes.” I just finished VII a week or two ago, and I can't help but feel disappointed at the translation of the game. Honestly, it has a decent story, but it's so hard to follow, especially in terms of Cloud's and …

• XIII is a pretty polarizing game, though. If you do start with it, keep that in mind that it's not really like any other Final Fantasy out there. It has some shared elements but it's not like a lot of the older games are.

• Let's step back. Define species. How do we tell that two organisms are different? Genetics? Reproductive success? Looks? Having more than 46 total chromosomes doesn't make you NOT human. It means you have Down syndrome. Similarly, changing one gene doesn't make you a different species, it means that your gene might have a different function than a typical gene in an organism of your same species. And I'm not arguing that micro- and macroevolution aren't the same thing, but I AM arguing that beli…

• I've got no input on what consoles to grab the games for, but if you don't already know whether you like the FF formula, pick up only one or two at a time since most of the games don't really differ that much. There are some exceptions, but at least this way you won't waste a bunch of money buying EVERY Final Fantasy game and then discover you don't like them. Quote from Pennington: “If your computer is mildly alright, you can probably pick up Final Fantasy VII on Steam, which has slightly bette…

• Quote from John: “Not now it isn't, no. Modern drug research is pretty much all about genetics and mutations. Further, drug-resistance doesn't make sense unless you have large amounts of evolution happening, and the only way to solve it as a problem is to work around evolution.” I think you're missing the point. Not arguing you don't need genetics. I'm arguing that genetics is compatible with YEC. The origin of species is not. They are very different things (guided by the same process, admittedl…

• Quote from John: “Except in this case denying evolution does hurt others. All of modern biology (and that includes medicine, vaccines, diet advice, all of it) is based on evolution. Deny that evolution occurs and there's no new drugs. No new vaccines. No new anything. You can't study genetics, or understand how drug-resistance works, or any of it if you deny evolution.” Sure you can. People do it all the time. That was the only good argument that Ham made, and it wasn't even a real argument at t…

• Favorite Alcohol GO!

Do you like being drunk or just a diabetic? Geez that's a lot of sugar in those drinks.

• Quote from The Goron Moron: “^ Except I'm not even good at explaining directions to the nearest bus stop, heck if I could explain something like that. =P” Which is precisely why I didn't ask you to explain it. If you've thought about your position and don't just follow what other people tell you blindly, then there aren't any problems. Doesn't matter if you can articulate that to me. But I bring this up because I was reading Ken Ham's Facebook comment chain and there are people (on both sides of…

• Quote from The Goron Moron: “Don't ask me how, I don't really like discussing these subjects.” As long as there is some internal discourse, that sounds reasonable to me.

• Zelda's Faults

pawptart - - General Zelda

Quote from Link the Zora: “I honestly think some people are making too big of a deal about this, finding issues that aren't there in the first place.” Yep, that's the whole point of bringing up the implications of that screenshot. It's got problems if you scrutinize it too much, but it's humorous and light-hearted. Same thing with dark people and Zelda baddies. Literally irrelevant to anything remotely involved with racism and descrimination. Just like that screenshot is literally irrelevant to …

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from NeonGreenSheep: “This "implication of infidelity". 1. Link and Zelda have never been in a relationship. Cheating isn't going to happen in a relationship that doesn't exist. 2. They are all looking in the same direction, off camera. Peach and Link aren't all "no, you're cuter" with big doe eyes at each other. 3. It is not canon. ” It doesn't have to be canon. Look, I don't think you guys are getting what I'm saying. There is an implied relationship between Link and Zelda in that pictur…

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from gamtos: “It's not implied either, as far as I know.” Oh, come on. Of course it's implied. It doesn't matter that it's never been confirmed by Nintendo. That's kind of the point of an implication.

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from gamtos: “Well, so does just about everything but that doesn't make it less awful.” I don't know about you but I am perfectly capable of consuming media that features "awful" content without having it color my actions. Quote from gamtos: “Not that this is a picture promoting infidelity so eh.” That's my point. It's implied, not promoted.

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from Haru17: “Jesus fucking christ Nintendo can we please not?” These are supposed to be humorous screenshots poking fun at traditional Nintendo character arcs and interactions... I don't see what's awful about it. Implied infidelity? Big fuckin' deal. Happens all the time.

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from Three Pendants: “This was the reference they were going for, I feel. I think someone high up on the Zelda team is a fan of Street Fighter.” I... doubt that. Akuma from SF is a reference to akuma of Japanese legend. They're basically fire demons. Demise more likely represents this rather than being a ripoff of a ripoff.

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from gamtos: “I'm still not cool with giving every bad guy a dark skin regardless of how realistic the hue of that particular shade is, but the series isn't guilty of this anymore” I understand the argument but since all the main bosses specifically avoid making their characters brown-skinned... I don't think it's much of an issue. I mean, the main bosses are typically blue- or green-skinned. That doesn't really represent any particular race. Sure, having a character wear dark clothing rat…

• Favorite Alcohol GO!

Sailor Jerry's >>> Kraken. SJ is my go-to rum.

• Favorite Alcohol GO!

Quote from Dayman: “Do all flavored types of Moonshine hide the alcohol taste?” Yep, that's the point of flavoring it. It's meant to be drunk straight or mixed with something else for the flavor it brings.

• Remembering the Internet

Quote from George Washington: “Also, Brad Neely makes some awesome videos. I love his "animation" style.” Too bad China, IL isn't as good as his early work.

• Quote from keyaki: “So shame on Nintendo for always trying to do something new where as CoD is more of the same for the most part?” Nope, it's just a simple fact that if you change things, someone will dislike it. Doesn't matter if the change is good or bad, They Changed It, Now It Sucks. Not many well-established game series changes so much as Zelda with each iteration. It doesn't surprise me that there is even more division within Zelda communities than others.

• Favorite Alcohol GO!

Yeah, but how much did it cost?

• Quote from Dayman: “Zelda fans don't know what they want out of a Zelda game.” Individually sure, but we're such a divided fanbase that it's practically impossible to please the vocal minority (some might call it the elite) that we are. That said, I think it's due in part to the way Nintendo has structured Zelda. Say what you want about CoD, but fans know exactly what they're purchasing when they buy the next iteration. Zelda changes so much with each game that it's impossible to predict what wi…

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from Haru17: “Enough patronizing. I get your guys' point. In fact, I have understood it since page 5 when it was first brought up.” Apparently not, if you keep trying to pass off simply having an artificially black face as Quote from Haru17: “[feeling] like a racist bias that few are conscious of, especially when it meets with xenophobia, white supremacy, and ascriptive hierarchy.”

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from Haru17: “The people pictured in the OP did.” Al_Jolson_Jazz_Singer.JPG This is blackface. Legend-of-Zelda-Dark-Link-Cosplay.jpg This is a black face. See the difference? They aren't even remotely close to the same thing. Blackface is ridiculing an entire race, but in this case a black face represents the evil opposite of an otherwise honorable hero. I mean, you can argue that painting your face black is racist but that's kind of pointless since for practically all of human history the…

• Favorite Alcohol GO!

Quote from Jeff: “The Kings Crown 1.25 oz. Crown Royal Black 3 oz. Apple Cider 1.5 oz. Ginger Ale The Kings Crown is literally the most delicious drink ever.” That sounds tasty. Substitute the apple cider with hard cider, in my opinion, though. If you can't tell, I just really don't like sweet drinks.

• Favorite Alcohol GO!

It's a little much, in my opinion. Hits you all at once, not really layered like a good sipping spirit should be. THAT said, Kraken is a great in a mixed drink if you can handle how sweet it is (I can't).

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from Haru17: “You should have read my whole post wherein I said that to have a good female character one has to throw out all notions gender roles. In that sense they will have neither male nor female traits, just traits.” Yeah, see, that means globally upending entire social traditions before you create a game rather than using your game to gradually bring about those changes. So in essence, what you're saying is that in a perfect world, no game is sexist because all traits are gender neu…

• Zelda's Faults

Quote from Haru17: “What female characters are there that have a non sexist, realistic characterization that defies traditional gender roles without any male traits. ” Not really understanding why it has to be so black and white. Having all female traits is just as bad as having all male traits, but for some reason you see the former as being good just because there are fewer depictions of it. Neither of them are inherently good or bad on their own, but the problem is that 1) people are a mixtur…

• Quote from John: “To be fair, in online critic-ville, 7/10 = not worth buying. Metacritic, for example, shows any game with less than 7.5/10 as mediocre.” Score well-deserved, it seems.

• Favorite Alcohol GO!

I drink anything and everything but vodka. Not huge on wine, but as far as spirits go I like a good rye whiskey or a quality bourbon. Woodford Reserve was my last purchase in this regard, and it seems to be one of my current favorites. Pretty oaky, a pretty prominent vanilla finish, it's basically everything you need in a mid-range bourbon. Brandy/cognac/armagnac is up there, too. I feel it has the opportunity if done right to have a more full-bodied and complex flavor profile that isn't really …

• My parents are slightly right-leaning (when viewed from an American perspective). I am, of course, not keen on this view, but I have been fortunate enough to have them understand my views and they do respect them enough to not constantly hound me on them. However, early on, I learned that it's generally not a good idea to talk about R.A.P.E. Religion - Abortion - Politics - Economics - and of course, rape. It just keeps the arguments to a minimum and we're all sane when we discuss our daily live…