Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • I can't imagine playing with a party of 9, holy cow :/ --- Adding to my "build a character you don't hate" guide above here's an attempt at tactical advice for first level characters in each class. Trying to help first time players answer the question "what should I be thinking about" in combat and - as a huge sub-theme - get parties talking to each other about their approach to combat. Critique would be great: (Hidden Content)

• Unearthed Arcana: Homebrew

Foo - - Dungeons and Dragons

My homebrew take on a "classic" class, the warlord, is now at the point where I don't feel completely embarrassed posting it in public. If you're looking to play a non-magic intelligence based character with a dynamic play pattern and great synergy potential (and you don't mind not rolling a lot of dice) you might find this interesting. Alternatively if you're looking to stat an NPC military leader - friend or foe - this could be some help. (Thanks a lot to Sami and Rebs for comments along the w…

• Tabletop RPGs

Foo - - General Gaming

There are some good games with two- or three-page rule books; Everyone Is John is a great example. Honestly, though, going into your first tabletop game with zero idea what you're doing is not a problem at all. Just do whatever the fuck you want until something doesn't feel right and then look it up.

• General Card Games Thread

Foo - - General Gaming

Yeah, this is an annoying one. "Spirit", or any other creature type, can be used as an adjective in three ways. "Spirit card" to refer to an object in the library, the hand, the graveyard, the command zone, exile, or outside the game; "spirit spell" to refer to an object on the stack, "spirit permanent" to refer to an object on the battlefield. It would be nice if the noun "spirit" referred to any object in any of those three classes but it doesn't. The word "spirit" alone always and only ever r…

• Yeah, one way or another the Kirby/Olimar match-up hinges entirely on the "Do whatever it takes to not give the floof the best projectile in the game" angle. --- So, the ESAM tier list puts 25 spaces between Lucina and Marth. Other approaches treat them as the same character or, at the very most, split them into a pair with Lucina over Marth but no room in between. There's some argument over the approach in the comments on ESAM's vid and I think it opens up an interesting philosophical question …

• I haven't played a ton of the match-up from the Olimar side, but some general thoughts: *As Olimar, I'm always trying to bait opponents - especially low percent opponents - into slow patience games. I'll give up middle stage control or even, in some extreme situations, throw myself off the stage entirely and play from the ledge because giving those sorts of positional advantages to people puts them in their head and gets them playing more carefully and at a slower pace. If someone just spent a g…

• EventHub's data are incredibly sticky. The value of a vote doesn't decay over time, but the volume of votes certainly does. The number of votes cast today is 0.2% of the total vote count even though that same 24 hour period is 1.3% of the game's life. The standing positions at EventHub aren't just an average of opinions held over the course of months, they're an average of opinions held over months with a weighted bias towards the earliest opinions. We would, of course, actually want the opposit…

• Really? On the democratic judgement side, Reddit's amalgamation of ~2700 January tier lists released this week has Ganondorf close-to-but-comfortably-above above K. Rool. Likewise an amalgamation of January tournament data collected at Smashboards has Ganondorf close to but ultimately above K. Rool. Distilling pro opinion is tougher. The most recently newsworthy profession-generated tier list seems to by the one Leffen released two days ago and therein he lists K. Rool as "the worst heavy beside…

• Maintaining a roster of 72 characters is really quite the task. Gameplay-wise there are only so many niches you can possibly fill, even accounting for very different demands from players at different skill levels, and eventually you're going to start overfilling slots and creating situations where you have "worse versions of better characters". I don't mean in the sense of having a pair of echoes with one having slight competitive advantages to recommend them. I mean that if I go looking for a c…

• The Nintendo Switch

Foo - - General Gaming

@boxes and I tried Tetris 99 last night. I am very bad and got salty quick. She was killing it tho >>

• Quote: “Did you read that if you press 2 jump buttons at the same time, it's a short hop? Not sure how useful that is, but I wanted to make sure you know. ” I hadn't! Just gave it a whirl and it feels great. ZR+X for a short hop, ZR+A for a short hop Nair, and ZR+C for short hop directional aerial seems like it's a really intuitive set overall. Thanks a ton ^_^ ETA: And a simultaneous 2 jumps + tilt back gives you an automatic short hop backflip. Life is good. (I've disconnected a couple times -…

• Solid eight hours later and I think I've got my brain pretty well retrained; going to the left for shield and the right for jump is feeling pretty natural. The fingers themselves are another story and I'm essentially never hitting short hops (without the buffered aerial trick) but I'm sure that'll come. I'm really enjoying play at the edge in Ultimate, especially as Olimar. It's probably not a revelation to people who played Smash 4, but with edgehogging gone I'm not only more comfortable going …

• Tabletop RPGs

Foo - - General Gaming

I have a "guide to not hating your first 5e character" that I'm working on with my student groups at school. It's more philosophical than mechanical but it might be of some interest: (Hidden Content)

• Tabletop RPGs

Foo - - General Gaming

Introducing new players to DnD is a really interesting problem, and one I don't think WotC has figured out yet themselves. Intro products always start by giving players pre-generate characters and while that solves a bootstrapping problem (can't build characters if your don't know the rules, can't learn the rules unless you play the game*, can't play the game if you don't have characters, so...) but it comes with some major pitfalls especially if the players you're introducing are used to videog…

• I'm coming back to the series after a long break. I played a lot (a looooot) of melee in my freshman year of uni living in residence and then a significant amount of brawl with the same crowd the year later whenever we could find time. I found very occasional opportunities to play melee in the intervening 10 years and enjoyed the occasional stream, but I never touched sm4sh or the DS game. I picked up Ultimate (and a switch compatible gamecube controller) over the holidays and played through the…

• Tabletop Games Bazaar

Foo - - General Gaming

A little over a month ago, at the tail end of the holiday break, boxes and I got together with some friends and played Machi Koro; first the base game and then the fully expanded "Bright Lights, Big City" version. I'll probably never play either game ever again, and so that first night's impression of the game will probably be my enduring opinion of it. I experienced the game in very much the same way I experience a movie; it took about two and half hours of my corporeal time, stuck in my head f…

Foo - - General Gaming

Quote: “I'm looking into either Oracle of Nectars or Luminescent Rain. ” In a vacuum, Oracle is a much better card to be sure. (Hidden Content). In this case, I think you've got to actually break down the cases where you want the cards. What's going on when you stick a Malaren on a board of 3+ elves? Either: (a) Your opponent is going to use their turn's Malaren trigger to search up a mass removal spell and clear all the elves off the board so rain is terrible. (b) Your opponent is going to use …

Foo - - General Gaming

The Treefolk deck looks sweet! The Harbinger + Doran + Murmuring Bosk synergy is incredibly good, for sure. It was the core of one of the top decks of the Extended format just before it died and was replaced by Modern in 2011 (you can see some Pro Tour lists here). Giants is p cool too. Seems a ton more focused for sure. Quote: “What triggers first, Elvish Handservant or Stormcloud Shaman? Say I only have a 1/1 Elvish Handservant on the field, and then play Stormcloud Shaman. Does Handservant di…

Foo - - General Gaming

Innistrad as it was envisioned between 2012 and 2014 is probably my favourite plane. The layering of more traditional gothic horror elements over the generally far-more-sinister and Lovecraftian horror represented by Sorrin and Avacyn, was, I think, incredibly well done. Nephalia has my all-time fav mtg aesthetic (Hidden Content) And stories like The Lunarch's Journal, while not exactly literary masterpieces, get closer to existential horror then anything WotC ever managed with the Eldrazi. (And…

Foo - - General Gaming

Nifty. Yeah the combo with sandstorm wouldn't work in MTG because on earthquake for example the damage is all dealt in a single instance. It'd work with Flames of the Raze-Boar specifically because the instances of damage are separated with a "do this, then do this" which is relatively rare wording. Maybe only 20 cards in magic's history split damage like this? Less? It is impressive that FoW has so little functional eratta, and that this is such a big deal accordingly. I think there are four ca…

Foo - - General Gaming

Soo... compare Deflecting Palm, Shining Shoal. My first intinct is that it's a color-pie break. This is either a red-white or mono-white effect in what I tend to think of as FoW's equivalent to MTG's blue... but I don't see that causing controversy outside of a small design-minded circle. If it's a wording issue - and the way you phrased the question leads me to believe it is - then I can see two possibilities. The use of the "instead" and "prevent" together is odd. It certainly seems like the c…

Foo - - General Gaming

First weekend with Ravnica Allegiance on Arena is in the books. This was one of the last major challenges to Arena as a platform: it's the first major release of new cards since the program "took off" and so the first real chance for F2P players to see how well they can keep up with scheduled metagame shakeups. It's not the ultimate test - that'll be when cards rotate *out* later in the year - but it is an important one. I played pretty much continuously from GRN's release through to Thursday. I…

Foo - - General Gaming

Super glad you had a good time ES. 1v1 commander can really go either way, with a fun streamlined experience or the impression that neither player built a deck for the situation at hand and everything is super clunky. Nice that you got a lot more of the former, hope you get the multiplayer experience soon! (Also, I'm kinda loathe to say it but FYI the "spell" referenced in Spell Qualler's rules text needs to be a spell on the stack, not a resolved permanent. Once a creature spell resolves it's n…

• Enemies range across a ~12000 point spread and you're only getting "real" gameplay if you choose a team with a neutral typing within 500 points or so for each. Autopick doesn't really set that up for you :/

• Just had my second real solo day with the game; 7 or 8 classic runs and a little more than 2/3 of the World of Light done (although I've been spoiled enough to know there's still a long way to go big picture). I enjoyed the campaign the most from the time I first ran up against the M. Bison fight (which seemed to establish a meaningful goal, with clear subgoals) up until I unlocked The Boss (which has made everything pretty trivial since). At this point I'm just playing as Olimar - my brawl main…

Foo - - General Gaming

Oh yeah, girl's looking goooood for 113 She's meant to be a limited bomb in Orzhov and play with the spirit making ability, ofc, and I'll love her in that context. We'll see about constructed though. It's an interesting design. Tactically speaking, most cards that successfully synergize with other creatures' death triggers do so by actually sacrificing the triggering creature; with this Teysa there's always a lag between her hitting the field and the payoff and that's a lag that your opponent is…

• I'm not a fan of the "Austerity doesn't work" byline because since 2012 it's been increasingly easy for *any* economic pundit, on the left or the right, to label a policy they don't like as austere and so dismiss it with no actual work done. A responsible fiscal policy should either increase taxes or decrease spending (or both) during periods of stable economic growth and a responsible monetary policy should increase interest rates in the same period. The two biggest reasons for this are to appl…

• Brexit: The Setting Sun

Foo - - Serious Discussion

Lol. This is why I always default to asking about someone's current investment position when they start making hard predictions about the market. Properly constructed, a bet is the most honest form of communication possible. Nothing an armchair economist says means anything compared to where they put their money.

Foo - - General Gaming

I don't like to get too much into the future set/storyline speculation but I do think a time jump is looooong overdue (it's been 11 years! time jumps used to happen every 2-3 years!) and assuming we're actually tying up the gatewatch story with the spring 2019 set as promised then we can have a jump either immediately after that or after the summer 2019 core set. There's a little epilogue work to do - patching things up with Nissa and Chandra, letting everyone with an outstanding grudge against …

Foo - - General Gaming

Happy holidays folks! MTGA is running a standard pauper (commons only) event all week and it's been an absolute blast. It's probably the standard for what casual-targeting events on the platform should be: recurring all week, free to enter, cool-but-insignificant prizes, sweet seasonal aesthetics, and a format with some depth. I settled on UB Devious Cover-Up control and I've 5-1 or 5-0'd six times with it so far (Hidden Content) Most of the games are pretty short. Decks that try to tempo you ou…

Foo - - General Gaming

So, 'bout a day late but we got a bunch of Magic-related announcements at the game awards last night. WotC wants to make a solid push at Arena as an E-Sport with 32 $75,000 year's contracts now available to digital pros for 2019 and an overall $10 million prize pool for next year. Seems like a good time for it, given Artifact's decidedly lukewarm response and Gwent's apparent failure to recover from its downtime. (I'm not fully counting Artifact out yet, but this certainly isn't the multigame sl…

• Cool, thanks guys! Made some changes to the druid write-up and some other small corrections. I realize that it's too long for comfortable reading but once the text is serviceable I can move the whole thing over to a wiki and that should help accessibility >>

• [D&D] Isometric Map Making

Foo - - Dungeons and Dragons

Nifty! boxes' current campaign is my first back on roll20 after playing either with (alot of) miniatures or theater of the mind for the last year and a half or so. It's the first time I've ever played on an isometric grid; definitely enjoying the experience and looking to implement it in the games I'm running at school (although I'm not nearly a diligent enough DM to put multiple hours into my maps so we'll see how that goes >>). Honestly after playing a miniature heavy-game I'm not sure I could…

• Quote: “*Everyone hates their first 5e build. This one I'd somewhat suspected after my own early experiences with the system, but it really shines through when you're trying to manage a dozen first-timers at once. A dozen first-timers who are not at all afraid of airing their feelings. I don't think this is strictly a bad thing - 5e is a deep system with a lot to discover; the negative feeling that you made poor decisions in the past is just an aspect of the overall positive feeling of growth - …

• So, back in September - after boxes and I got back to Canada - I started teaching at a new school and fairly soon found myself sponsoring a table-top gaming club. Part and parcel, I've been DMing for two groups of students (12-15 year olds) for about two months now. Some stuff what seems worth talking about: *Episodic DnD is really fun, and seems like a great way to avoid burnout. I get to play with each group for about 80 minutes a week, which is generally enough time for a bit of free-form rol…

Foo - - General Gaming

Sounds like a good night! A tuned valakut deck going 1v1 in your meta kinda seems like a gun in a knife-fight, but it'd be some great spice for multiplayer games. Hissing Quagmire is a metagame call. When I played the elf deck the manabase felt like it was just on the edge of being too shaky to support the strategy. I think if you added a couple tapped lands to the mix you'd push it over the edge and start losing games where you draw a tempo-based hand but not the fast mana to support it. If, ho…

Foo - - General Gaming

All right, played a bunch of games in the Fae/Elves match-up. Didn't get any great recordings but I think I can speak to it pretty well: There's an interesting subgame with peppersmoke, gnarlroot trapper, and spellstutter sprite. Especially when the elf player is on the draw, where spellstutter is often live *until* the trapper hits the board and again if the mana dork can be peppersmoked. Generally this game favours the elf-player and on the fae side I didn't assume I was getting value out of a…

Foo - - General Gaming

It's rare for tribal synergy to have a large impact on standard. I mean, right now the core of the format is a tribal block (vampires, merfolk, dinosaurs, and pirates from Ixalan) and yet the most important tribal synergy by far is Ghitu Lavarunner + Wizard's Lightning, followed at some distance by History of Benalia + other creatures that just so happen to be knights in the white weenie deck. There's no competitive dedicated tribal decks at all. Fae aside, Lorwyn was mostly similar. What *was* …

Foo - - General Gaming

(Been a busy week. Report cards were due first thing this morning and I'm enjoying my suddenly reduced workload with a nice rum-barrel aged baltic porter. Sorry if this is too much of a drunk post). On the paper magic side of things, I started a club at the school I'm working at back in September. It''s mostly DnD focused but we've got some magic fans in the bunch, especially among the younger kids. Can't say a ton for professionalism reasons, but I'm having a lot of fun with it! On the digital …

Foo - - General Gaming

I'm always up for a Garfield design, and this is certainly a really intriguing gimmick. A huge issue I can see with the unique game concept is that the pieces are irreplaceable. If a single card from a unique deck is damaged or lost the entire deck becomes unusable (or you allow proxies or substitutions, but that ruins the concept). That's an enormous feel-bad, and it would make me extremely hesitant to buy this game for kids or young teens. (Also, there's no way in hell that - in the hypothetic…