Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • Watched through all of Russian Doll this week, the Groundhog Day-esque series from Amy Poehler and star Natasha Lyonne (Nicky on OitNB). Pretty good series. Natasha's performance is the highlight, but the concept is fun and goes to interesting places thematically and the music is pretty aces as well.

• Mostly what I'm pretty confident will win. The only category where the winner is someone I would vehemently disagree with is Rami for lead actor.

• My ballot is probably going to look something like this: (Hidden Content) I thought this year was going to be a hot mess with the combination of no host, categories being cut from the live show, and only having two of the five song nominations being performed, but they gone and folded like a bad poker hand so now it's just no host. So instead of being a trainwreck it'll probably just be a boring year again.

• It's been fun to read along through your film journey! Hope you continue to share if you tackle another list down the line. A friend of mine was using the AFI list to fill some holes in her pop culture repository and we realized that AFI sort of missed their chance to update their list again last year like it seems like they should have. Only having one movie from the 2000s onward on it is kinda bonkers. I was thinking of taking on a list that takes critic and audience data as a metric like this…

• Quote from Pietro: “Fox news has banned an ad for one of the Oscar nominated short film which made up mostly of footage of the Nazi rally which took place almost exactly 80 years ago in Madison Square Garden, which about 20,000 Americans attended. ” For anyone interested, you can watch the 7 minute documentary for free on YouTube. youtube.com/watch?v=MxxxlutsKuI

• youtube.com/watch?v=MEifNjTfAt4 ...Ok, Danny Boyle. If you say so.

• Libraries are great! Some of them even have video games and video game consoles you can rent. Music, movie, TV series...and a lot of libraries give you access to online services that let you stream movies/tv shows/music and comics and magazines. Love the library.

• Former Canadian Prime Minister "extols 'populist conservatism'" in video for PragerU The Right Honourable Jackass Stephen Harper, everyone.

• The other side of this conversation has been banned, but I'm still going to respond to his points because with the latest post it's looking incredibly likely this conversation was begun in bad faith. First, note that the topic is shifted from the argument that the film industry does not allow for women to direct films or promote films by women that may be contenders in awards season to how many female directors there are in general. So the initial point I was making was likely not the intended f…

• Broadly, the same institutionalized sexism that holds women back in many industries. Specifically for the film industry, that sexism manifests as studios either a) not attaching female directors to prestige projects that would receive a push come awards season and/or b) not financing female directors who bring their own potential prestige films to the table so they can't get their films made in the first place. Combine that with most studios moving toward making fewer but bigger budget "tentpole…

• My point (not well articulated I'll admit, I tend to write these bullet takes in relative shorthand) was more that there's an overall lack of female directors being enabled to work on films that receive nominations, not necessarily that there were any specifically overlooked. There's not much of a point criticizing the Academy for being a beast created by the imbalances of the film industry. The complaint lies with the industry itself. But, for specific instances of female directors that maybe c…

• Best Picture nomination, I mean. Superhero movies have been nominated in other categoriesm(VFX, Sound Mixing/Editing, etc) - Heath Ledger's posthumous win for Best Supporting Actor for The Dark Knight is probably the most notable.

• Oscar Nominations are out! (Hidden Content) Takes and Takeaways: - No female directors again, huh? - But surprisingly LGBTQ+ inclusive in nominees and subjects, so there's that. - This is about as predictable as last year in terms of Best Picture nominees. I guess there's some news with Black Panther being the first superhero movie to get a nomination. Won't win, but hey. - No Sorry to Bother You, Eight Grade or Blindspotting in the screenplay categories feels like a snub. - Shocked Won't You Be…

• 2018 Albums

Galedeep - - Entertainment

Hey @Michael long time no see! Snail Mail and Soccer Mommy were on my radar this year but I never got around to checking them out. I'll try to get to them in the early part of this year before new releases start flowing in.

• Could be worse. Could look like this high schooler who is definitely not at least 25 years old: main-qimg-90f4632b55e4cd0ad155cb4474926fb0

• I dunno if it's just cause I used to read a lot of comic books, but the fact that Spider-man is back after Infinity War is no surprise? Beyond the fact that this movie was announced before IW even came out? Like, the MCU has always taken a lot of narrative/structural inspiration from comics, particularly when it comes to the more crossover-y installments; heroes dying and then coming back is pretty much par for the course. Trailer looks like pretty standard MCU fun. I liked Homecoming and this i…

• Red Dead Redemption: 2

Galedeep - - General Gaming

Finished the "main" part of the game (ie up to the end of chapter 6). Likely taking at least a few days off before getting into the epilogue. Arthur Morgan's story is amazing. I'm processing and writing a bit to work through my experience with him, but wow.

• it's here, just a bit further down the page: DC Cinematic Universe

• Quote from Galedeep: “Ugh I gotta watch Roma. ” I did this and now I can't stop thinking about it. Such a beautiful film. Everyone should watch Roma.

• Quote from Lady Sunshine: “Mossflower ” Nice. Since the last time I updated here, I finished The Lies of Locke Lamora which got really good about halfway through and I ended up enjoying quite a bit by the end. I've got the second book in the series on audio lined up for sometime this year. I've more or less committed to audiobooks as my primary form of "reading" since sitting down and actually reading is something I only have time for when on vacation. So I've got a bunch from the library lined …

• Y'all ready for some hot spicy Golden Globes Takes?? The Show - Considering that Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg had maybe four weeks to prep, they did a pretty good job of hosting. Not as memorable as Ricky Gervais or funny as Tina and Amy, but they did a good job with what they had. - Perhaps the worst directed Golden Globes I can remember? So many cutaway shots left hanging with empty seats or subjects obscured, or having to cut to a co-star/actor when a winner was talking about a director or spou…

• Arry Potta

twitter.com/pottermore/status/1081242428105998336 WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, OFFICIAL POTTERMORE ACCOUNT?

• I saw the original tweet yesterday and enjoyed the reactions but just noticed that ratio. woof, big swing and a miss there, boy.

I was going into Chapter 5 feeling pretty burned out on the gameplay and mechanics while playing over the holidays. Just in time for the narrative elements to really kick into high gear. Now my enjoyment in playing comes from an almost totally different place.

• I saw the Spider-men. Lots of fun, great reminder of why spider-man is and will always be the best. Phil Lord and Chris Miller are really the best at what they do.

• 2018 Albums

Heyyyy it's the end of the year! Time for a new list in this thread about lists. First, some late-year EPs to round out my collection this year: (Hidden Content) Full list is available here Overall this was a pretty good year for music, for me. It's always nice when some of the stuff that gets me most excited are new discoveries vs the old standbys, though favourites putting out more great music is always a plus...and of course disappointing when they don't quite measure up. This was a year that…

• EW covers are almost always awkwardly shot and photoshopped. Wouldn't look to them as an accurate representation for what the final product will necessarily be. Will Smith technically plays two versions of himself - the funny/romcom/light version, and the "I want an Oscar" version, depending on the movie.

• The Stand-Up Comedy Thread

I casually like stand-up...what that actually means I'm not sure. I have friend who are in stand-up and thus really really into stand-up and relative to them I know next-to-nothing. I mostly just try to catch up on specials when they pop up on Netflix or wherever else. Contemporary speaking, John Mulaney is my favourite stand-up right now. I've been wanting to get into Mike Birbiglia more, I really like his style. Dave Chapelle's more recent material is hit or miss but I still generally enjoy hi…

• @Winnie My stock answer is always that its both, but if I had to pick one I'd say its more a Halloween movie. It's not about Jack embracing the Christmas spirit as part of his journey in longing for something new, it's about him realizing that he needs to find the joy in his own life and work rather than attempting to co-opt or attempt to replicate something he doesn't really understand. In other words he learns to re-embrace the Halloween spirit.

• I had this conversation with some friends a couple weeks ago. Obviously the stakes are pretty low with this question - people can watch whatever they want at whatever time for year for whatever reasons. If its Christmas tradition to watch Die Hard, watch Die Hard. BUT this stuff can be fun to debate/argue about because of how low stakes it is, so here's what me and my friends came up with: Basically, a movie is a Christmas movie if taking place at Christmas actually impacts the plot in a meaning…

• youtube.com/watch?v=hA6hldpSTF8 Bwaaaaaaaam

• I've started reading and already can tell this is something the group I'm DMing for right now would have really benefited from.

• Globes are pretty anti-Indie this year. Part of why I don't think they'll jive with a lot of the other awards this season. Sorry to Bother You has 2 indie spirit award noms and has a pretty good shot of winning Best First Feature and a dark horse chance at Best Screenplay at those. I'm betting they submitted for Original Screenplay at the Oscars and have a decent chance at getting a nomination.

• Awards Season is Best Season! Golden Globe nominations are out, so it's officially underway. (Hidden Content) Reactions: - Bohemian Rhapsody being nominated for Best Drama Film is the most Golden Globes shit ever. - Incredibles 2 better not take home any awards, cause it was pretty sub-par. But the animation category doesn't have anything remarkable (he says, eagerly anticipated Into the Spider-verse) - Reading through these, I feel like these are probably more out-of-line with the rest of award…

• 2018 Albums

55. Vince Staples - FM! 56. All Get Out - No Bouquet 57. Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s - Vulgar in the Chapel 58. Hanson - String Theory 59. Anderson .Paak - Oxnard 60. Big K.R.I.T. - Thrice X EP 61. Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs That's likely a wrap on my master list before compiling my best-of year-end list (which is already in process)! Still a couple late-entry things of note - that Vince Staples project is really really good. The highly anticipated Anderson .Paak album was really kind…

• Arry Potta

My review of the Crimes of Grindlewald: mbb6i3oxm2y01.gif

Finished Chapter Three last night. (Hidden Content)

• Daredevil's the latest show to be axed by Netflix. Jessica Jones and The Punisher must be sweating.

• Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very successful movie in that it sets out what it wanted to do pretty much perfectly. And I think it's a good movie, generally. Marty doesn't really make bad ones. But, counterpoint, it is three hours long and when I watched it, it definitely felt like it. So much so that it's pretty much the main barrier for me going back to rewatch it. Even to gather evidence that the movie could be just as effective if it was under 3 hours.

• Yay! These are my favourite posts. Biggest surprise is that there are people who think The Wolf of Wall Street is Scorcese's best movie, when I'm pretty sure it's impossible for a movie that hits three hours to be the best anything. (Even with the argument that the length is a meta way to play with/comment on the excess that is also a central theme of the movie)