Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • Yeah, from a pure writing standpoint, an "it's all just a dream!" twist should be telegraphed (albeit carefully to avoid outright spoilers) fairly early. Throwing it in at the literal last possible moment can give the audience whiplash while making both the twist and the rest of the game's narrative feel utterly pointless. Doing it early makes it a part of the story and underlying theming, so it comes across as interesting and thought-provoking (or at least more so) rather than a twist for its o…

• The Legend of Zelda: ________

Setras - - Creative Corner

Personally, I don't see that as a problem- it worked well for the Runes in BotW, especially Magnesis. Abilities that do one thing on their face but when applied in unorthodox ways can allow for wholly different mechanics sounds like something worth tinkering with and encouraging. In contrast, having two different abilities that really seem like they should be under one umbrella can make at least one of them feel redundant.

If we wanted to pare it down even further, I still say the gravitational power nicely covers the Roc's Feather's function, and the Cane of Somaria's block ability seems like it could easily be an extension of the barrier creation. I believe that would give us an equal number of Sentinel powers for Link and abilities for Zelda, lending itself perfectly to a shared experience between them. It might also make the powers a tad less disjointed.

Currently, the vote is at: (Hidden Content)

We could, but those three ideas were tied at three votes apiece while most of the others were tied at two. We'd basically be going down the list item by item, and while I'm fine with doing that if necessary, it kind of defeats the purpose of taking a vote and trying to whittle things down. We may need to rethink this process a bit...

Nope- only those three got a majority vote, and even then only barely. There was a fair degree of overlap, but those three were the only ones that got something approaching consensus.

Alright, based on the votes gathered thus far and barring changes, we have: -Zelda's abilities will be derived from a combination of inherent bloodline-derived powers and magical relics, and those powers will include: -Invisibility -Magnetism -The Cane of Somaria or else an equivalent block-creating ability. I think it goes without saying that we might want to expand this list. At the very least, though, this gives us a starting point.

• BOTW DLC - A few questions

Setras - - Modern Zelda

The game's a couple years old now and the existing DLC about half that, and they'd already announced when the Champion's Ballad came out that it was it as far as BotW content, so I wouldn't hold my breath for more at this stage. I'd hope that they've moved on to work on the next entry by now, and we know the LA remake is also in the works, so I'm inclined to say official BotW content is done.

• Such an ending completely goes against the theme of the game, though, and undermines the whole emotional crux of the ending. Not to mention it'd trap both Link and the Wind Fish in the dream forever while depriving Marin of her wish.

But again, that puts more emphasis and importance on the flute than I think is wise. It's one thing for the flute to be one magic item among many and allow for some unique situational magics of its own, it's quite something else to have it serve as a key and training wheels to unlock and augment Zelda's magic. Not to mention it seems to defeat the purpose of bringing such an item in if it's importance to both plot and gameplay is going to diminish as the game goes on. But, we're treading close t…

If we must choose between the two, I would vote pan flute so as to allude to ST. That being said, the flute's uses should be a bit limited and circumstantial- having Zelda only cast via music puts a bit too much emphasis on the instrument itself.

Pretty much- probably draining a magic meter or something along those lines, so parking yourself right out in the open while invisible just invites getting snared between patrols. This'd force the player to find a safe place to drop the invisibility and recharge. Also, would you mind casting your votes for Zelda's powers? At that point we'll have a definitive tally and a baseline list.

I still don't get the aversion to invisibility in stealth sections- it's not like she'd be turning invisible indefinitely and casually sauntering past enemies. As a hypothetical example, imagine the first Forsaken Fortress section in WW. Now, instead of hiding in a barrel, Link instead has to turn invisible. We'd need to refine it and add in other limiting factors, absolutely- the power can probably only be used in short bursts, making noise can still draw attention, maybe getting caught in moon…

^ What say you for the abilities?

Literally poisoned, I'm still not crazy about- it doesn't feel entirely Zelda-like to be concocting toxic mixtures to dip weapons into. I feel like we could have the same basic effect while just having the weapon(s) in question be enchanted with elemental Force or something. That being said, it might be kind of cool and put a unique spin both on the BotW cooking mechanic and the series' traditional use of potions to have a toxin-creating mechanic, with the ability to carry around poisons in jars…

• I keep seeing comments to the effect of "Well, Koholint's not real, so it makes sense that the art style looks kinda fake." Here's the issue with that- Koholint being a dream is supposed to be a surprise, both in-universe and to the player, because the place is supposed to feel real, and the emotional climax of the game is supposed to involve having to destroy this world that isn't real but feels like it is. Granted, that's probably a bit of a moot point nowadays since most people with an intere…

I feel like some census taking might be in order here. All still involved in this project, if you could peruse the choices below and cast your votes. (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content) Other options can and likely will be suggested as we move forward, and the list can be altered at any time as group consensus demands, but this will provide us with a baseline. Whichever choices end up with the most votes will be selected. With that out of the way, my vote is: Preferably A, but C would be acceptabl…

• I knew the graphics wouldn't look like the opening cinematic (even without the trailer outright telling me), but I still felt part of me die a little inside all the same. The graphics themselves look... off. Like, not necessarily outright bad, but ill-fitting, both for the game's world itself and the hardware, especially the sprites. I'm optimistically cautious.

• BOTW DLC - A few questions

Setras - - Modern Zelda

The Trial of the Sword is well worth it, but the Champion's Ballad not so. So I'd say it'd ultimately be a worthwhile investment, but manage your expectations.

• I'm still inclined to chalk up the BotW Rito to Zora who made use of dragon parts- use of such parts to augment dishes and mixtures and temporarily power Link up is encouraged, and we know that WW Rito require a dragon scale from Valoo to fully mature, so it makes sense to me that both types arose from basically genetic engineering. It just so happens that in BotW, the Zora didn't die out. Regardless, I cannot argue that the Rito don't feel tacked on here, as do the Koroks. Just another small in…

I mean, it seemed like most people were on board with both her heritage and, by virtue of said heritage, said heterochromiac design. (Though it was also suggested that her eyes could be purple, either inherently or while casting magic.) Both of those were among the first raised about her, and there weren't really any objections all the way up through discussing her abilities, though again those were up in the air. This kinda plays back into the "jumping into other topics before reaching a consen…

That was a matter of some contention, but I was vying for her to be a full-on deuteragonist alongside Link. Each of them would have their own playable segment in each dungeon- Link doing the traditional dungeon crawling, Zelda doing something else distinct from that (e.g. navigating other parts of the complex to aid Link in places he can't reach, fending off an onslaught of enemies trying to get into the dungeon, going afield to get something needed to progress, etc.)- and between dungeons, the …

Works for me. I'd say our first order of business should be nailing down Link and Zelda's abilities. Everything else will in some way tie back to that. So, for Link- any alterations to the Sentinel abilities? For Zelda- what powers exactly do we want to give her?

Quote from TriforceHolder: “I'm down to keep going but if I'm being honest it seemed distinctly like we had too many competing voices to nail anything beyond a basic premise down solidly.” I don't think the competing voices was itself so much the problem- it was more that the voices would never really coalesce before we would change topics. If we could focus on nailing down baseline details before we tackle broad topics, and focus on one topic at a time (within reason), I think we could gain som…

I suppose now is as good a time as any to ask, then- who does want to keep going with this? I am 100% down and more than happy to continue trying to hammer something out with anyone else who wants to, but that being said, before today it had been about a month since... well, anything had been brought up. Are people still keen to keep this going?

I'd have no objection, and I'd still say we could make Axl a Heedle and have some of those be domesticated as well.

That was a big part of the idea, yes- with the sun eclipsed, fire and light are much less common (though still exist in pockets), while water, ice, and shadow have rushed to fill those gaps. Surface-dwelling life forms have mutated accordingly, and some underground varieties of enemies would have evolved as well. The burning and poison ideas were abandoned early on, as I recall.

Quote from MORPHRELINK: “Last I checked, they still couldn't decide on a solid back story or villains or something as well as some combat mechanics.” Uh, we decided on a main villain- the moon deity- a while ago, and the backstory from there involved the moon restraining the Sentinels and eclipsing the sun, and the subsequent chaos driving everyone underground. Link and Zelda would eventually be going up to free the Sentinels one by one. The rest of the story is less solidified, but we were also…

• My understanding is that the HoT was born during the Hyrulean Civil War, a period long after the Era of Chaos (and the ensuing Era of Prosperity and the events of TMC and FS, for that matter) where Hyrule briefly fractured until the King of Hyrule reunified it.

• Zelda Headcanons

Setras - - Theorizing

Technically, yes, HH and HE are considered part of the same series and thus considered canon. The problem is that the two actively contradict one another, and that immediately brings the question of which account is valid into question. Personally, I'm inclined to reject HE- it was written by Nintendo Dream and introduced a ton of completely unsubstantiated retcons, while HH is fairly consistent with the games and had Miyamoto and Aonuma directly involved in its creation. Their attitude toward l…

• Zelda Headcanons

Setras - - Theorizing

This allergy they have toward lore cohesion physically pains me...

• Zelda Headcanons

Setras - - Theorizing

Quote from Violetlight: “If it weren't for the monkey wrench of Queen Oren being a Sage, that implies she's a descendant of Ruto, I'd think they were two completely different species.” That's the thing, though- it's never been outright stated to my knowledge that the ALBW Sages are descended from the OoT Sages. Indeed, between the two groups there's at least one intermediate step, the ALttP Maidens, all of whom seem to be Hylian girls. This would imply that Sagehood is not passed down entirely b…

• Quote from Okami Takahashi: “So, what you're saying is that situations like this are essentially a mini Dragonbreak? Huh. I never thought of it that way. Though I should have. ” (Hidden Content) In any case, less a Dragon Break so much as timeline splits that didn't, well, split entirely cleanly. While such an event never happens, of course, as an example, it'd be like if a section of the Gerudo Desert in TP (i.e. the Child timeline) was underwater when none of the rest of this version of Hyrule…

• Chapter 82 (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content)

• The Big Theory Q&A

Setras - - Theorizing

That depends on if the TFH Wallmaster are in fact Sheikah constructs. The Twili employ similar teardrop-less eye insignias that otherwise resemble Sheikah sigils, most notably on the back of the Fused Shadow and the Twili throne (which strengthens the case for the Interlopers being Yiga-esque renegade Sheikah), so these could very easily be Zant Hand-esque Interloper tech. My question is, why has such tech persisted for so long in Hytopia, of all places? One could easily argue that Interloper te…

• Quote from gamtos: “I'm fairly certain that if you play so much as 5% of the Great Plateau you'll get sucked in again. Not because of the story or anything, it's just that the Great Plateau is arguably the most well-designed area in the entire game. ” Great design only means something if it entices you to keep going, and if you already know what's in store for later and are not enticed by it, why then would the first 5% prove addictive? The rest of the game's bloat and flaws are present as ever.

• The Big Theory Q&A

Setras - - Theorizing

It should be noted that the only time ReDeads display this clay-like characteristic is in TFH, and even at that, they're never to my knowledge actually stated to be clay. Zelda Wiki notes that the way they scuttle along while half-melted to the floor somewhat resembles Dead Hand in OoT, which could indicate a relationship between the two. Either way, barring definitive word otherwise, ReDeads and Gibdos are by all canon accounts actual undead, not synthetic.

• Steven Universe!

Setras - - Entertainment

(Hidden Content)

• Chapter 81 (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content)

• @AllStarNemesis, to be fair, reanimating Lanayru involved using Timeshift Stones, and those were already demonstrated to do weird things with enemies and objects that don't really entirely fit the loop or split paradigms. That's an issue in and of itself, yes, but technically it's less time travel, i.e. going back in time, so much as it is forcibly dragging everything within the Timeshift field to a previous temporal point, so it's not necessarily subject to the same causality and paradox dilemm…