Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Can't really speak to the art style of RF4 (I don't mind it any), but "dating simulator" is...not exactly correct. It's pretty much like Stardew: You can build relationships with people over time, or you can choose not to. You can talk to them every day and give them gifts, or you can just farm and dungeon crawl. Story of Seasons is similar (sans the dungeon crawling). No denying the casts tend to be at least a bit cliche, but they're also varied (20+ characters, usually) and so there's a bit of…

• Quote from Max N.: “Quote from John: “first plot I think of given the setup. ” "First plot you think of" seems to describe most FE games, so I suspect you're right. ” Hah. Also, there will clearly be prejudice between the different houses and it's only with your careful tutelage and having to unite against a common foe that they will learn to overcome their innate biases!

• Lay my vote for war between the three nations and your school brings together a small number of people from each nation united to stop the evil plot that's manipulating the governments from behind the scenes, or some-such. Maybe they'll do something different, but this is kinda the first plot I think of given the setup.

• Quote from Advance: “I started to shoot through LA DX after the announcement, and I have an idea as to why they're remaking this entry in particular: it's not the easiest to play as is. Two items at a time, meaning you're either dropping your sword or your shield. Not to mention (Hidden Content) Also I'm warming up to the graphics. I forgot LA always had a chibi style, it's just hard to convey ANY style with a handful of pixels. ” I mean, the remake presumably will clean up the controls and item…

• I think Fire Emblem Warriors showed that the Fates cast could be likeable enough, for the most part. I don't mind them, there's just...so many of them that it's hard to really care about them, and the plot is so erratically-paced that you don't really get a feel for them regardless.

• Nah, the jankiness is likely deliberate, and is a common way to make CGI look less like CGI and more like hand-animation. I'm used enough to it that I don't even really notice when CG does it unless it's really poorly done.

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Heh, we have a Fire Emblem thread, but, simply: The core gameplay is the same. But Awakening and Fates added a number of new mechanics and expanded upon some old ones. The big changes are that the "support" system has changed to being certain specific character pairings to any two characters who are frequently near each other on the battlefield, which means that the support conversations lack a lot of the character they used to have because they have to account for so many combinations. You also…

• Quote from Please Understand: “Quote from Khao: “Looking great so far! I feel like the presentation was way longer than it needed to be considering what we actually learned, but the whole thing about getting students to get new units looks super interesting. As long as they don't do some bullshit like, separating the three houses through three separate games, I'm in day one. ” That's exactly what I was telling my brother while we were watching the Direct. You're gonna need to buy 3 games to play…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Hah, meanwhile most of the ones they've made have delighted me, or at worst been neutral (with a handful of exceptions, such as Fire Emblem Fates, which was clearly made to spite me specifically :P).

• After having watched one of the Japanese commercials for LA DX I'm now kinda sad that they didn't use this art style :P: twitter.com/i/status/1095969681792532481

• Quote from Bomb Arrow: “Quote from Please Understand: “Personally, if I released a game on a platform and it sold relatively well, I wouldn't bother porting it anywhere else. It is simply not fun to keep working on the same damn game for years just to port it to everything. So it depends on what the developer wants to do as well. Porting makes sense for successful games though, chances are they will find some sales in other platforms too, but if it's something super niche, it can be a total wast…

• Quote from Jackos: “So waifu emblem dead horse beating aside, is no one else bothered by the horrendous framerate on cutscenes? Just me? Worst thing about it is that it seems to be a deliberate choice which is baffling to me. ” I can't say I even noticed it at first, really. What it almost certainly is is an attempt to make the CGI look more hand-drawn. A lot of anime these days mixes CG and hand-drawn animation, and "stuttering" the CG is one of the techniques used to help mask that it is CG, o…

• Hmm, good question. 13 or so, it'd have to be.

• I really like the "Lego" look, honestly. But then, LA was before I got into Zelda, my first real games were the Oracles, and I don't know that I ever really lost myself in the 2D ones, they were a bit too abstract for that. So I don't have a mental image that this really conflicts with.

• Huh, have you checked the air intakes and vents? I don't have a Pro, just a standard PS4, but mine makes nowhere near that much noise.

• Quote from HeroOfTime5: “While I’m excited and I’m going to buy the game since I’m a Zelda fan, I’m kinda disappointed. I rather have Nintendo use their resources and make a new story instead of remaking a Zelda game. I find it a cheap way to keep fans entertained and keep the cash flow going. When I think about it, I even considered ALBW a partial remake back in 2013. The way I see it is we only had two original games since 2011 with one of the games, TFH, being a small scale adventure. I’m hop…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Half a decade, they made the Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze games, and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.

• I'd...I'd really love to say that there's no way that'll happen. It says...something that I can't. I think NoA, at least, would put a kibosh on that, but I guess we'll see. My suspicion is that the raising students element will replace the raising children, so then the question is if they've cut the ability for the protagonist to romance because of that, or at least restricted who it applies to to non-students.

• Quote from MVS: “Quote from John: “For what it's worth, the "plastic" (more clay, to my mind) look seems pretty clearly deliberate, not an accident of the style. ” How does it make it any better if it was deliberate? I still really don't like it. Well at least this is "just" a remake and not a new entry in the series. I can always find an opportunity in the future to play through the original. I am pretty annoyed right now if you couldn't tell haha. ” For sure, but I think there is a difference …

• I know a lot of the elements in it have been in previous FE games, but the presentation and basic idea really makes me think of Trails of Cold Steel, a JRPG series about a military academy where students travel around the country solving local problems as part of their curriculum. Obviously there are loads of differences, but there's enough similarities that I keep thinking of it.

• For what it's worth, the "plastic" (more clay, to my mind) look seems pretty clearly deliberate, not an accident of the style. It's an interesting way to keep the original art style in 3D. Lets them keep the proportions and such without looking weird, and instead looking like a toy set.

• I am a bit surprised by how much hate the art is getting. It was definitely weird at first, especially Link's face, but it's really grown on me astonishingly quickly. I wonder if the first half of the trailer being...pretty much right out of the original game, only with more detail and animation, made the transition more jarring.

• The art style perplexed me at first, but the second time I watched the trailer it grabbed me. It works real well after that initial moment of confusion. Definitely gonna be getting this. I am curious if they'll add anything, since the trailer strongly suggested a kind of "screen-for-screen" remake.

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Quote from MVS: “Oninaki was it? Like a spiritual successor to 'I Am Setsuna' and 'Lost Sphear', did I got that right? ” Well, it's by the same studio as those two. Unfortunately, both of those are games that had potential but didn't do anything with it, so I'm not too hopeful. We'll see if maybe they'll be more ambitious this time 'round. Quote from Creiddylad: “>Avatar character >Already being given special plot significance : ( ” On the one hand, yeah, but that sort of thing potentially can w…

• Quote from Bomb Arrow: “Quote from Vulpes: “Just Windows, although I believe they are aiming for a wider release for the final version. You can get the demo here. The version currently available is newer than the one I played—looking at the updates, it seems they made the action commands somewhat easier, among other things. ” How preposterously wasteful to keep it on one system (even if it's only temporary). That's the entire thing about Paper Mario, being a Nintendo exclusive. You'd be mad to h…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

FFIX succeeds because of its characters. The rest of it isn't bad; the plot is solid, the music is quite good, the gameplay is dated-yet-fine, etc. But the characters are some of my favourites from any FF game. They're fun without being just jokes. They're allowed to be both cartoonish and dramatic, even the comic relief ones get surprisingly frequent moments to be insightful, helpful, kind, etc. The end result is that they're hard to dislike and you really want to see them succeed.

• The Dualshock 4, other than the terrible touchpad, is probably my favourite controller right now, honestly. What don't you like about it?

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Quote from Mirren: “How common is that for a major company like Square-Enix to lose the source code to a property as big as a 3D, home console Final Fantasy? ” Happens all the time. The idea of a company actually saving source code is relatively new for most of them, and it's still not really a priority. Sure, it might let you make some money in 10-20 years, but it doesn't do anything for you now, and it takes deliberate planning and effort to properly archive and maintain it. Plus, the big surg…

• Quote from Please Understand: “telegraph.co.uk/gaming/news/so…ot-e3-2019-does-mean-ps5/ Interesting development. I don't think Playstation owners are going to be happy about this. Not being at E3 is not the problem, of course, the problem is the statement that comes with that; it implies clearly states they don't have anything new to show. Sure, PS4 was overtaken last year by the Switch, but it still has a massive playerbase. Yet it looks like it is on its last legs already? Is it because invest…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

I really don't like FF8 for a number of reasons that I won't get into here, but yeah, the fact that it hasn't been ported anywhere suggests that the problem is more likely that they've lost the source code or the like, not that they don't want to. Either that or its reputation in Japan is even worse than it is here.

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

I think there probably are a fair few fans who wouldn't buy the game if there weren't waifus or husbandos. Now, how big a group? I dunno. I don't think anyone buys the games exclusively for the dating stuff, it's pretty light, all-around, and there are better sources for that available. But it might be enough to tip someone over the edge into purchase/not purchase. This is the problem with trying to figure this stuff out: Games have a load of elements that different people value different amount…

• I think moving audio/video around can be misleading, it's all down to context. If you have a quote that is clearly not occurring in the visuals you're displaying then it's not an issue, it's clearly been moved and probably serves a thematic purpose. When you have characters appearing to say/do things that they don't do in the final work then that is actively misleading, and can strongly suggest plot developments that don't actually occur, and the like. As an example, if you have a trailer where …

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Quote from Creiddylad: “I don't really buy that narrative though. Awakening saved the series is an argument I've seen a thousand times and it lacks any nuance. The only thing that made me pick up Awakening in 2013 instead Shadow Dragon in 2008 was people around me knowing about the game. Awakening had the benefit of far better marketing and a respectful launch period that previous titles hadn't been allotted. I won't deny casual mode brought people in either but I think anything more is a reach.…

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Quote from Please Understand: “I don't know, just it being on home console makes me fairly nervous about how ambitious it can be if they can develop it so quickly. I would like to see an open world Pokemon game, though this probably won't be it I guess. ” Game Freak has two teams, one of which, apparently, has been working on this one since the previous Pokemon game, and the other one which made Let's Go, so it's not a one-year development cycle.

• I think Sophie lacks a time limit, yeah. Most of the others do have them, is my understanding, and I'm not really sure why.

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Quote from MVS: “Quote from John: “Quote from MVS: “Quote from Canyarion: “nintendoeverything.com/nintend…ced-for-february-13-2019/ Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow. All aboard the hype train? ” 11 PM in Europe = 23:00? Sorry just want to be sure. Don't know if I will be able to watch it though. Does anyone know how long it will be?Edit: Nevermind, I am stupid. Roughly 35 minutes. Alright, can still be plenty of new games. ” 5PM EST = 22:00 UTC (all internet announcements should always be …

• The Nintendo Switch

John - - General Gaming

Quote from MVS: “Quote from Canyarion: “nintendoeverything.com/nintend…ced-for-february-13-2019/ Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow. All aboard the hype train? ” 11 PM in Europe = 23:00? Sorry just want to be sure. Don't know if I will be able to watch it though. Does anyone know how long it will be? Edit: Nevermind, I am stupid. Roughly 35 minutes. Alright, can still be plenty of new games. ” 5PM EST = 22:00 UTC (all internet announcements should always be in UTC, darn it!)

• Quote from Please Understand: “Quote from John: “Alright, gotta confess that I wouldn't have thought they'd be your jam. ” I really enjoy crafting. The combat isn't very deep but that's nice as I can mostly just mash some buttons and get it over with. 10+ hours in now, loving it! ” Ah, makes sense. I've never been big on crafting, so when I tried the series I was left with a rather weak plot and cliche characters combined with a rather shallow combat system. They weren't bad, but they were...fla…

• Quote from Khao: “Hey guys. I'm making a new game. It's super early but I already kinda want to show it off. It's basically Pong if it played like a platformer and had fighter-style mechanics and structure. It's meant to be a quick-fun party game, but it can take enough skill to treat it semi-seriously. It's super fast-paced and can sometimes get pretty hectic! I'll probably change the name further down the line, but for now, I'm calling it "Please Don't Strike My Wall!". There's not a lot to se…

• Quote from gamtos: “ One I didn't see yet but a big recommendation for any Death Note fan would be Mirai Nikki / Future Diaries. A group of people have to battle to the death for Godhood, each has been keeping a diary and sees future entries so each one has a little premonition. The main character describes ANYTHING that happens in his life in his diary, and he's helped by his stalker who keeps a diary on HIM. Suspenseful and very dramatic. Of course Jojo is a standard rec. I think I'm gonna try…