Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 81-120 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • Mod note: And that's where I draw the line on this one. I'll be going back and deleting some stuff now that has been nothing but a detriment to the discussion in this thread, which - I shall remind you all - will deal with Super Smash Bros. only. Feel free to discuss representation within the series, but if you want to branch out and talk about the issue more generally, that's gonna have to be someplace else.

• Quote from Kokiri Kid: “Quote from Abyss Master: “Link can be those things, but not as the quiet, brave swordsman that we some might think of him as. ” FTFY” Did... that really need fixing? Quote: “Quote from Abyss Master: “3. Keep Ganondorf as the villain and make him a constant, looming but unseen threat. ” Assuming we're following game canon, this isn't really possible (unless you do the same ass-pull FSA did), as there is only one Ganondorf, and we see what happens to him in all timelines, l…

• Zelda has plenty of storytelling potential, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing and is both able and willing to make necessary changes. 1. No game should be the basis for the story. Even the game I consider to have the single best story in the series - Ocarina of Time - would make for an underwhelming story in a TV series if no changes were made to it. The majority of the time spent in the games is either in the overworld, traversing the landscape, or in the dungeons - not exact…

• Hoping for the best but bracing for the worst. I'm heading to sleep now. Hopefully I'll awake to good news. Make me proud, America.

• Quote from gamtos: “Even so, in SSB4 terms, were the outfits of Captain Falcon, Samus and Fox really necessary? Not to mention the hats of: - Mario - Luigi - Wario - Princess Peach - Princess Zelda - Sheik - Meta Knight I'm sure people found uses for them, but they're still pretty dumb. Captain Falcon outfit is already confirmed for Ultimate. ... jeez I'm hung up on Miis for some reason. ” I think trying to answer the question of which Mii outfits are quote unquote necessary is itself something …

• The Nintendo Switch

Abyss Master - - General Gaming

Not to be a downer, but that article is making a lot of claims that are just not substantiated by facts. For instance, it claims as its proof that a new Zelda is guaranteed to arrive next year on the fact that it's been a trend since Ocarina of Time in 1998 for a Zelda game to come out at least every two years. While that does lend crecedence to the idea that a game will be landing next year, it is by no means a guarantee of anything, because this trend was only made possible by Nintendo balanci…

• Concerning who we might see in the DLC packs, I'm gonna put forth some ideas. I'll split them up into ones I'd personally be psyched to see, and ones I think make a lot of sense. Before I do that, something to note about DLC in Smash Bros. Judging from the pattern we've seen with Smash 4, I don't think we should expect obscure and little-known fighters. The DLC fighters in Smash 4 were almost all either returning veterans or well-known characters that generated a lot of hype. The only exception …

• A big factor in the Diablo Immortal debacle, from where I'm standing, is the fact that it was done during Blizzcon, with a lot of buildup that actually did seem to be going towards something a bit more, shall we say, traditionally pleasing for Diablo fans. Regardless of who made the decision to have the game be made for mobile, the way they did the unveiling was remarkably lacking when it came to knowing their audience and anticipating their reactions. We saw the exact same thing with EA and Com…

• Red Dead Redemption: 2

Gotten to chapter 6. My current thoughts, with spoilers: (Hidden Content)

• My word, Classic Mode seems to be much, much better this time around. Each character having their own path was already pretty cool, so the fact that stages and even battle modes will change as well is just all kinds of awesome. It's a shame that coin battles seem to be gone, because that would be a perfect fit for Wario. Judging from what we saw of the Spirits mode during the Direct, it seems Assist Trophies can play a role in special scenarios as well, no longer confined to appearing temporaril…

• Quote from gamtos: “Have you ever played Paper Mario Sticker Star? The game had its disappointing moments, for sure, but every time I replay it, I think "why did this game revolt me THAT much? It's pretty fun." And then I reach the Final Bowser level again and I remember, because the Final Boss is arguably a collection of the worst game design elements I have ever seen. People remember the finale very clear. So if the last Direct is anticlimactic, that's not so good for sales.” That's one helluv…

• Quote from Common Knowledge: “Sakurai’s entire hype strategy with Smash Bros. is just so weird. Way too front loaded. I mean, saving Ken and Incineroar as the final two reveals? ” I struggle to fully understand this complaint. I've seen it elsewhere, but I honestly don't get it. Like, does anyone here really feel like the hype is so important that it's not enough to just get hyped anymore, we need to get hyped the right way at the right time? I don't think I've honestly heard about "hype strateg…

• Quote from Canyarion: “But anyway, those DLC fighters are expensive again. I guess the game took so many resources to develop, that they need to make up the losses with DLC? ” Well, it's $25 for all five DLC packs together (i.e. the "Fighters Pass"), which will include five fighters, five stages and an unknown assortment of music. Not sure if I'd call that expensive, especially when considering the fact that the fighters will not be veterans (since they're all in the game already) and they won't…

• Red Dead Redemption: 2

Began playing yesterday and having a pretty good time with it. It's definitely a very polished game, albeit somewhat cumbersome. Sometimes I feel like I'm battling the controls almost as much as the gunslingers I go up against, and sometimes I do wish I could at least fast travel back to camp. I also somehow ended up with a bounty of $300 in the "main" area, i.e. the part of the map where the camp is. Apparently the only way to get rid of it is to pay it off yourself, which feels a bit oddly res…

• Mod note: When discussing leaks/rumors of new characters and stages for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, be sure to make use of spoiler brackets when discussing specific details, i.e. anything that can reveal to anyone which characters or stages have been included (or haven't been) and how many. I've gone through some posts on this last page and put in spoiler brackets to cover such details where I've found them, but I will not impose any requirements for spoiler brackets on posts that d…

• Quote from Dark Miku Reigns: “I did enjoy the story and how they handled it but I felt that they left out more then they needed to to make it a more rounded story. I would like to know how Ganon became Calamity Ganon. We've always seen him take a human form then become a beast. What happened to make him become the creature we see in the first fight with him? How is it that King Hyrule was able to remain around as a ghost but his wife wasn't? Where was Zelda's mom during all the times before Cala…

• What I enjoy about the story in Breath of the Wild is that the developers decided to just capitalize further on the non-linear structure of the game by making the "story" about what happened in the past, and fragmenting it so that your quest becomes just as much about piecing together the past as it is about solving the problems in present. I like that you can find memories scattered around Hyrule that delve into Link's relationship with Zelda (doing a good bit of character development with each…

• The Zelda Mangas

Abyss Master - - General Zelda

I'm very much enjoying what I've seen of the Twilight Princess manga so far. It does everything I enjoyed in the Ocarina of Time manga, adding to the story in inventive ways to really service the narrative. It also seems to take a bit more liberty with the backstories of Link and Midna, which I find hella interesting. Unfortunately, the Twilight Princess manga also shares a deep flaw with the Ocarina of Time manga, which is the way it just completely neuters the dungeons from a storytelling pers…

• There's more to understanding Zelda lore than simply knowing what the timeline is. Indeed, I would consider the timeline to be the least consequential part of Zelda lore, as the games take place too far apart from one another on the timeline to really have any sort of effect on each other anyway. The only exceptions are direct sequels or games that are clearly made to follow certain titles (see: A Link Between Worlds, Spirit Tracks, Wind Waker). In those games, it's made exceptionally clear exac…

• Well, I can think of several instances where the remake might be worth it: 1. If you never owned a Gamecube 2. If you owned a Gamecube but didn't own Luigi's Mansion 3. If you owned a Gamecube and Luigi's Mansion but sold/lost one or both 4. If you owned a Gamecube and Luigi's Mansion but can't be bothered to hook up an old console to the TV 5. If you owned a Gamecube and Luigi's Mansion but would prefer to play it on a handheld Given that the Gamecube is one of Nintendo's less successful consol…

• If they could add Jigglypuff to a game that only had 12 characters, they can add Hilda to Ultimate. Given that we haven't seen her color scheme given to Zelda as an alternate costume, I would consider it a likely bet that she makes it in as an echo fighter.

• Expectation subversion is not the same as an anti-climax. The Last Jedi still has plenty of climatic moments, they just don't go in the direction that one most obviously expects them to go based on previous movies in the series. That doesn't mean that they go nowhere, which is what an anti-climax would be. Also I think you'll have a very hard time arguing that The Last Jedi didn't seem important. I've heard and read a lot of criticisms of the movie; I've yet to see one that even tries to argue t…

• Quote from logicalpencils: “The "Gorsuch stole Garland's seat" idea. Kavanaugh gave a clear, righteously angered, emotional performance, provided detailed evidence to support his denial, and stood up for himself as I would expect of an innocent man in this situation. He also demonstrated sincere sympathy for the accuser despite all this, which impressed me the most. Ford gave a clear, righteously traumatized, emotional performance, provided detailed recollection of the event itself but not of an…

• If there's one of them you haven't played, go for that one first. If you've played both, go for the one you didn't play most recently first. If you've played neither, go for Wind Waker HD first.

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Mod note: Use the spoiler tags if you feel the need to discuss spoilers. Anyway, I'm nearly 5 hours in and I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. This expansion definitely feels a lot more compact than the main game, and the changes made to the battle mechanics are refreshing yet not too drastic that they completely throw off veteran players. I have noticed some reused music during cutscenes and battles, but the overworld themes seem to be entirely new from what I can tell. The new battle theme, of co…

• The Nintendo Switch

Overall thoughts: The online system looks weak as hell, there was much we already knew because of the week-long delay, and Isabelle as a Smash fighter looks like a clone of Villager (not an echo fighter, but still using a similar moveset from what I can tell). I've also had my fill of Pokémon Let's Go and Super Mario Party news, so I'll be tuning those out until their respective release dates. There were some surprises though, and overall it seems like 2019 is gearing up to be quite a year of ga…

• The Nintendo Switch

To be frank, I think the Switch stuff will be limited to the online and the third party games that were supposed to be announced that we now know about (Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition, Civilization VI, etc). I expect something about Pokémon Let's Go as well. There'll also be some 3DS stuff, apparently - probably more remakes/remasters. Apart from that, I don't expect much in the way of surprises. Maybe a Smash newcomer, but that's about it.

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2

In anticipation of the Torna DLC, I've been getting back into this game through New Game +. Voice acting is just as inconsistent as I remember (sometimes terrific, sometimes terrible) but overall I still enjoy the characters and story immensely. Looking forward to the DLC even more now.

• The Nintendo Switch

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

• Anybody like Okami?

Yes, I enjoyed Okami when it came out. No, it was not better than Twilight Princess. No, I haven't gotten it for the Switch yet. Yes, I probably will get it for the Switch at some point. Yes, the aesthetics are awesome. And yes, the music is out of this world. youtube.com/watch?v=ya3yxTbkh5s

• Octopath Traveler

I cleared the final chapter of the character I started with (Olberic). Thoughts in spoilers: (Hidden Content)

• Octopath Traveler

I'm about 25+ hours in. Gotten all the characters and all the secondary jobs, done three characters' second chapters and working on a fourth. Impressions so far: Pleased with the travel banter. It doesn't appear in the any of the first chapters, but the second chapters all seem to have these moments where you can press + and have a short dialogue play out between the "story character" and one of the other party members. It also seems that every character has a "travel banter" moment with the "st…

• The Nintendo Switch

PHYSICAL: - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Lego City Undercover - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - ARMS - Splatoon 2 - Pokkén Tournament DX - Fire Emblem Warriors - Super Mario Odyssey - DOOM - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Rocket League - Bayonetta - Bayonetta 2 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition DIGITAL: - I Am Setsuna - Shovel Knight - Stardew Valley - Picross S - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom …

• The Nintendo Switch

It should be noted that the eight stories might be really good, for all we know. While I would've preferred an interconnected narrative focused on these eight characters coming together, I am still interested in playing through each individual story. Some will probably be better than others, some might even fall completely flat, but I would hold off on laying down any sort of judgment on the story/stories just yet.

• The Nintendo Switch

I was worried that we'd get this sort of disconnect between story paths in Octopath Traveler. It's not going to sway me from getting the game, but it does limit the potential of the narrative. It continues to baffle me how writers still seem to completely miss the fact that a good story needs characters who interact with one another, fostering growth and connections between each other. Apparently there will be "banter" between the characters, which is certainly better than nothing, but I honestl…

• The Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Life: Using Nintendo Labo And Model NES Zappers To Play A Game Of Laser Tag large.jpg Okay, this? This is wicked cool.

• The Nintendo Switch

I've heard some promising things about Ys VIII, so I've decided to download it on the Switch. So far I'm liking what I see, for sure.

• I concur that Master Hand probably represents the series best, at least in terms of any singular entity. I also think it's a given that he will return to Smash Bros Ultimate, as he's appeared in every Smash game to date and there's really no reason for him not to return. I am less certain of whether Master Core will return though; I could easily see that particular battle being scrapped for something different. I could also see it being revamped or added to. What I highly doubt will happen is th…

• Washington Post - Supreme Court upholds Trump travel ban Never forget that the Republicans stole Neil Gorsuch's Supreme Court seat.