Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 961-1,000 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • Marvel Cinematic Universe

Galedeep - - Entertainment

The first five episodes of Daredevil have been sent out to critics, and the reviews are going to start rolling out. First I've seen is from Screencrush and the following excerpts have me even more hyped: (Hidden Content)

• Quote from thejoeybloom: “I'm re-posting this because @Vynrah was the only response I got and I was hoping to hear from some more people. Sorry if this is off topic or if I seem pushy. Quote from thejoeybloom: “So, I'm starting to feel very confused about this whole topic. To get a better grip on this situation I'd like to ask a question: Is there any way to be more inclusive in games, but still include some of the "sexist" stuff that is portrayed in some games? I ask this because I can fully ag…

• Quote from linkthezora: “ OH! OK, ok, I think I understand this now. So in my hypothetical 'Last of Us' where we played as Tess and Sam, their experiences are going to most likely be vastly different than the experience of Joel and Ellie. It's a part of their characters, a part of who they are and what they experienced growing up during the apocalypse. It would be insulting if Tess were just Female!Joel. Very insulting. Tess is her own character and everything she would've experienced would be a…

Quote from Spidey: “Yeah, generally speaking one doesn't go to such a thread saying something like this: Quote: “Anyway, I feel like I'm the only movie fanatic on the internet that doesn't give a crap about all the Marvel/superhero movies” If you really don't give a crap, then best just not say anything at all and posting something like that in this thread....[.quote] Y'know, I personally welcome a discussion on the merits or lack thereof when it comes to superhero blockbuster films. Always inte…

Cheo Hodari Coker has been tapped to showrun the Luke Cage series for Netflix. He's probably most known for working on the cop show Southland and more recently the quickly-cancelled Almost Human. He also wrote the Notorious BIG biopic, which is awesome.

• Quote from linkthezora: “ I do have a question though, if a creator made a story and the protagonist just so happened to be a white dude, does that mean the creator is racist/sexist? Is Miyamoto racist/sexist because his main protagonists are more often than not white guys? Again, I'm all for equality, but I'm also all for the creator of any given fiction to feel free to do whatever he/she wants with his/her own work. Miyamoto should not feel like he has to radically change Link or Mario, for ex…

• Where do you write?

Galedeep - - Creative Corner

Quote from Holden: “ Nolan, you do a lot of screenwriting, yes? Do you find that your environment has to be different at all when you're writing prose, or? Also, I've been meaning to try screenwriting but don't know where to start. There's a class at my university, but I'm not sure I'd have time to take it. Any books or reading you could point me to?” I do screenwriting more or less exclusively now. I'll do the odd short story or writing prompt as a warm-up, and I write short review-style pieces…

• Where do you write?

Galedeep - - Creative Corner

I always like to have a separate "space" for writing. IE I don't write in my bedroom or living room. I'm moving into a new apartment and one of the essentials was having an extra room as a work/office space. I've done the whole 'writing and coffee shops' thing but find I can only get 2-4 hours of solid work done before I get uncomfortable and leave. I like to stand up and move around when I'm writing, which isn't really all that feasible in a coffee shop. I really like to write outside, but sinc…

• Feeling burned out after smoking weed is normal. Feeling burned out for a full day afterward? That's not something I've ever experienced or heard of before. You should typically level off after a couple hours. It's possible you are allergic or have some other kind of sensitivity to weed? If that's the case, you should probably cut back on how much you smoke in the future, or just be aware of how it affects you afterward (like how you aren't going to get wasted on a weeknight and expect to be fin…

• Quote from Apollo: “What are people's thoughts on the new Modest Mouse album and the new Kendrick album? ” I've only listened to them one time each so far. So these are obviously just first impressions. The Modest Mouse record is pretty uninteresting. I'm one of the (seemingly) few that actually quite enjoyed We Were Dead..., because it took their more accessible side and combined it with Johnny Marr's influence to create a pretty solid indie pop record. But this new record is like if you kept t…

• Quote from Hombre de Mundo: “ I get what you're saying I just don't think something superficial like race, sex or even species is a big deal in video games. Like I said, I got into video games because of a blue hedgehog who's not exactly representing me in any way. Did anyone on these forums have a hard time getting into gaming because their race/sex wasn't included in a video game? I mean that's really, really shallow if you can't look beyond those things. ” I don't have the sociological or psy…

• Historical fiction or using real-world history as a backdrop to tell a fantastical story is always tricky because history is complex and multi-faceted. For the Captain America example, including a reference to the treatment of Japanese Americans was a way to acknowledge one of an insane amount of historical context that period has to deal with. Like Jaime Lannister said, the film didn't really deal with the Holocaust, nor did it depict the treatment of Italian Americans. But World War II was mas…

• It's true that no company or studio is under any sort of obligation to make their products more inclusive to their audience. But I do firmly believe that it's something they should strive to do in order to help send a positive message about the kind of community they are a part of. I've already written about this a few pages back so I don't want to sound like a broken record, but by not being inclusive they are sending a message that they don't care about creating positive experiences for member…

• Quote from Leo_: “It's possible that the size of the GamerGate movement indicates that there's a large proportion of people who are ALREADY tired of hearing about it and deem it less-than-newsworthy NOW.” Is it part of the GamerGate movement stance that there's too much attention being paid to when under-represented groups receive said representation? I am coming at this from a place of relative ignorance when it comes to the specifics of this debate within the gaming community, but as far as I'…

• Quote from Leo_: “ Again, it's like when Spock takes umbrage to the Science Academy congratulating him on succeeding "despite your disadvantage". It's incredibly patronizing and belittles everything a person does. It's like saying "not bad - for a girl". And besides, your Idris Elba point is a bad one because then where does it end? In 500 years after every other character has been played by a black person, do we congratulate the first black actor to play Captain Jack Sparrow? "Here's a gold sta…

• @Leo_ I think the reason stuff like this gets reported as 'news' is because we're still at the stage where progress like is remarkable (as in, able to be remarked upon). Until it becomes unremarkable, that's the way it's going to be. Once it becomes even a little commonplace, it become unremarkable. Almost anyone can name the first man who walked on the moon off the top of their head. Can even a majority of people name the fifth? For example, when CBS makes a new cop/doctor/lawyer show that has …

• Your top ten movies

I didn't put much thought into this. Pretty much started writing down favourite movies and stopped when I hit ten. O Brother, Where Art Thou? The Social Network Wall-E The Dark Knight Hot Fuzz Thank You For Smoking Spirited Away Monty Python and the Holy Grail The Breakfast Club Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

• Quote from Vynrah: “ Is losing out on some silly fun for you and the boys really so bad when it opens up this medium we all love to people who don't see themselves represented anywhere else?” THIS is a key point, and applies to all of the areas of entertainment, and heck many industries as a whole - it's very much a "big picture" point. Ultimately, from my perspective, trying to be more inclusive and open to women, people of colour, LGBTQ+, and a host of others is not just about resigning onesel…

• Quote from tallgeese: “Go ahead and do that then. I wanna see you think of outside-the-box, opposing-the-norm positive female characters that aren't Ellen Ripley or Katniss.” Okie dokie. Leslie Knope, Dana Scully, Buffy Summers, Veronica Mars. This past year in film: Reece Witherspoon's portrayal of Cheryl Strayed in Wild and Patricia Arquette in Boyhood. Hermione Granger. Emily Blunt's character in Edge of Tomorrow. Amy Dunne in Gone Girl. Lisbeth Salander. Arya Stark. In music, how about Adele…

• Quote from tallgeese: “ But for an industry so young, we are definitely ahead of the other forms of entertainment. We're not as bad as the rest of the mainstream, but there's nothing wrong with pressing forward. ” Come on, dawg. That's definitely not true. You can cherry-pick examples from any form of media to make it seem more progressive. More generally: Fact is, pretty much every facet of entertainment and many industries in general are struggling with a representation problem. So I'm not def…

• American Horror Story

Quote from IcyJK913: “Just like you two, my favorite season is Asylum. And I think Murder House didn't drag on because it was the only season that was more focused on horror than on drama. I actually really enjoyed Coven (though maybe that's because I enjoy bitchy teenage girls constantly fighting).” It's been a long time since Murder House, but I think I agree that it seemed to have maybe more focus than any subsequent season since it was the first out the gate...but holy shit the ending was go…

• American Horror Story

Good choice on posting the opening titles to show off the series - since they are easily the best part of any given season. I have such a love/hate relationship with this series. Every year, it's such a train wreck. It usually starts out strong, but eventually, without fail, it ends up completely falling apart - whether that be in episode 2 or episode 13, it varies. But it always happens. While Coven is easily the worst, Freak Show also ended up being a huge disappointment by the end. The proble…

I watched the first two episodes of Agent Carter and really liked it...but have neglected to keep up with it as it aired. Now that it's over I may spend my Sunday marathoning so I can catch up. I'm actually probably looking forward to Daredevil more than Age of Ultron at this point. Maybe just because it's closer to release? I dunno I'm just not as jazzed for the Avengers this time around. I'm sure it will be great, just not feeling the hype yet.

• Power/Rangers

These high-production fan-films are at the very least mildly interesting, though they do tend to always have a certain Michael Bay-esque faux gritty glossiness to them which I find a bit curious. As if in order to appeal to an aged audience they can't have any sort of charm or levity? Most interesting thing to come out of this one is the controversy around Saban having it pulled from YouTube and Vimeo on copyright grounds, when most creators/content owners don't play that card when it comes to f…

• Quote from Sansa Stark: “ I listened to Carry On The Grudge briefly last year, good album. I recall "Don't You Find" and "Zombie" standing out in particular. ” It's a great album. Not as immediately energetic or grabbing as his first two records, but it really grew on me the more I listened to it. "Turn on the Light" and "They Told Me It Rained" are probably my favourite track off it. Wish I had picked up that FKA Twigs album last year - heard it was good but didn't jump to get it. Still need to…

• Top 10 Albums of 2014 10. Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams (Folk/Blues) 09. Rx Bandits - Gemini, Her Majesty (Progressive Rock/Alternative Rock) 08. Noah Gundersen - Ledges (Folk) 07. Counting Crows - Somewhere Under Wonderland (Alternative Rock) 06. The Lawrence Arms - Metropole (Punk) 05. Sun Kil Moon - Benji (Folk Rock) 04. Margot & the Nuclear So and So's - Sling Shot to Heaven (Indie Rock) 03. Copeland - Ixora (Indie Pop/Indie Rock) 02. Jamie T - Carry On The Grudge (Indie Rock) 01 - clipping. - …

• My high school had the exact same game, but it was called "Gotcha!"

• True Detective

Quote from Alex: “Colin Farrell is such a bummer...” Have you seen In Bruges or Seven Psychopaths? He's fantastic in those. I've also heard he's great in Crazy Heart.

• True Detective

Worth noting that there's supposedly three detective/cop roles this season, and Farrell is playing one of them. One is also certainly a female, and names that have been floated include Rachel McAdams, Jessica Biel, Oona Chapman, Elisabeth Moss, and most recently Keira Knightley. Most of the concern seems to be around Vaughns casting and Lin's directing, but neither particularly concerns me. Especially when it comes to Lin - he's shown to be capable as a director at worst, and if the first two ep…

• Age limit on things?

Galedeep - - General Chit-Chat

Quote from Spidey: “The golden rule that all guys should know: half your age plus seven. Yes there is an age limit on things and this is one of them.” This is useful for when you're in your early 20s or late teens - mostly in the grey period where you still might frequently be faced with dating someone who's underage. When both parties are both at least in their 20s, I think the age gap stops mattering so much. Though for matters of decorum I'd say a general rule of "don't date someone younger t…

• Gotham

So the pilot was pretty decidedly...not good. But there's enough potential there that I'm willing to give it some time to find it's footing. Hopefully they'll nail down some of the characters, settle on a tone, and ditch some of the weird camera and editing choices sooner than later. Next week on Gotham: "This is my accountant, Mad Hatter." -Jim Gordon

• I Review Every Album I Own

Big_KRIT_4eva_N_A_Day-front-large.jpg Big K.R.I.T. – 4evaNaDay 9th Mixtape March 5, 2012 Cinematic Music Group The only difference between a winner and a loser is a winner plays until he wins. Dropped three months before his debut full-length album on Def Jam, 4evaNaDay seems to be an album of reflection for southern MC, Big K.R.I.T. While there are a handful of tracks that trade in K.R.I.T.’s recognizable fare – “Me and My Old School” once again has the rapper waxing philosophical about his fir…

• I Review Every Album I Own

I Review Every Album I Own From the guy who brought you such lists as ZU’s Favourite Albums and Albums of the Decade, and collaborated on 30 Bands That Should Be In The Mainstream (But Aren’t) comes yet another impossibly long list of music that you may care relatively little about! And this time… IT PROBABLY WON’T EVER BE COMPLETED!!! ~~~ I started this as a pet project back in March of this year for a few reasons: 1. I like to write, and sometimes do it professionally. I don’t often get to wri…

• Movie Chit-Chat III: threequel

Which is weird because reviews are more or less opinion pieces so it shouldn't be hard to come up with something relevant to say about any given film. Maybe it's a case of the staffer assigned to do the review not actually having a background in film or film criticism - at least in the case of newspaper journalism where staffing cutbacks mean the people who write about world news are also writing sports recaps.

• Guitar/Bass Thread

My first guitar was a Yamaha FG-412L 722_1.jpg A fairly nice acoustic, I haven't played it in years so it need a lot of work before it's playable again. Served me well for six or seven years though. I have one electric, a Gibson Epiphone Special 290191617895-1.jpg I enjoyed it for a number of years, but post high-school I kind of stopped being interested in electric guitars and have been all-acoustic ever since. Which leads me to my pride and joy: tay_ps10_sp.jpg My Taylor PS-10. Hands down the …

• I love me a good caper, so I was really into the concept of this week's episode. To be nicely surprised by some really good guest performances was icing on the cake. Enjoyed the episode very much.

• Movie Chit-Chat III: threequel

Quote from Leo_: “Apropos of nothing, I'd just like to say that I immediately ignore a movie review if it phrases its praise or criticism in the form of puns. Has anyone else noticed this? That film critics tend to degenerate into horrible puns when they have nothing of actual significance to say?” Joel Siegel (RIP) was the absolute worst for this. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - “Yo, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Fun”. Cars - “Wheelie Good Time for ‘Cars’”. X-Men: The Last Stand - “X-Men’…

• New shows have started! Hooray for the Fall season!! I watched The Mysteries of Laura and Red Band Society last night. The Mysteries of Laura stars Debra Messing as a woman who is both a cop AND (incredulously!) a mom and CAN SHE HAVE IT ALL? It is hot garbage. I don't believe Laura could conceivably be both a cop and mom, nor can she have it all, because she is terrible as both a cop and a mother. As a mother she ignores her twin boys' severe behavioural issues as they are kicked out of pre-sch…

• The FOX Marvel Universe

Quote from Dayman: “Yes. Now if they can get The Sinister Six movie going along with Black Panther we’ll be talking.” The Sinister Six movie already has a release date of November 11, 2016. Drew Goddard is directing (he left the Daredevil Netflix series to focus on this).

• Relationship Advice Thread

Quote from keyaki: “The thing is with some of those options is that some can be easier said than done.” So are most things in life. The doesn't mean you shouldn't saddle up and give them the ol' college try. No pain, no gain. Quote: “Personally, I detest online dating. Mainly because they all promise and advertise the same, exact thing. Kind of pointless to me. Especially since sometimes the person you may be talking to isn't the person he/she says he/she is(Catfish) and then there's the times w…