Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 81-120 of 894.
  • A more urban based Zelda?

Violetlight - - Future Zelda

Quote from Vulpes: “Besides, I consider ceremonial monarchies to be almost as bad as the regular kind, for the suppose that royalty is a ceremony worth keeping, instead of an insult to man's dignity. ” Again, I will have to disagree with you there. As a British-Canadian, I find Her Majesty plays a very useful and relevant role in helping to keep Canada different and distinct from our neighbours (and we need all the differences we can get!) Queen Elizabeth is a symbol of history, continuity, dign…

• Lawless

Violetlight - - Creative Corner

Interesting story so far. The town Ningan is in reminds me of Clock Town. I was wondering why Zelda is still going by the title "Princess" post-OoT. Shouldn't she be Queen by now? Anyway, the pirate theme seems more suiting to a Wind Waker setting at first glance, so I'm interested to see how you'll pull it off here.

Counterpoint to @Vulpes ' counterpoint: Instead of a toppling of the monarchy, how about a game where the monarchy doesn't really have any political power anymore, but is still there in a ceremonial role, with a parliament formed from representatives from all of Hyrule's races and peoples making the real political decisions, so like Tarry Town on a bigger scale. So less American Revolution, more modern British Commonwealth (or modern Japanese politics) IMO, the "evil monarchy/empire becoming a r…

• I like the Hylian set dyed purple with black leggings, because that's the outfit Zelda wears in my fanfic so I can pretend I'm actually playing as her (with the hood up). For sheer badassery, I absolutely LOVE my Fierce Deity set! Nothing's better than kicking a silver lynel's ass as a literal warrior god!

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood took place entirely within renaissance Rome. I could see a similar Zelda game working, within a hugely expanded Castle Town, as long as at least a couple dungeons and a lot of parkor was involved.

• I'll have to give that "I write like" site a try when I get home and have access to my computer again I wonder what "Staircase" will rate as? On that note, my husband's supposed to be working on my cover pic for "The Staircase Leading Up" while I'm in Winnipeg, so hopefully I'll be able to put it up for sale on Amazon soon! Does anyone else publish on Amazon? Is $1 a fair price for a 5000 word short story?

• Quote from logicalpencils: “We know that those like the Deku Tree live a while, but, 10,000+ years? I think the reasons for the fairytaling of this fact among many others is pretty simple -- Nintendo isn't trying to wipe away the accuracy of previous titles, they're just conveying to the player that BoW's history is incredibly fuzzy and ancient. ” Actually the longevity of the Deku Tree is one of the more believable aspects. There's a real life tree, the Bristlecone Pine, and the oldest individu…

• The Parenting Thread

Violetlight - - General Chit-Chat

^ You're so lucky that you were able to breastfeed! I wish I could have with Arden, but I suffered a serious birth complication when he was born, and my body was like "nope! Not doing this!" afterwards. He took to formula alright, but it was bloody expensive! $50/week for the first 8-9 months or so! After he started eating more solids, I switched from the concentrated liquid formula to the powdered, but it was still expensive. I was so glad when he turned 1 and could switch to whole cow's milk. …

• An Unwanted Journey

It's a little hard to read the red text on the greyish background. Maybe consider another text colour for the next time you have Mare? Besides that, good chapter!

• @Ruki If the author of Entry 3 went with the technique you suggested, it raises a big question: Why wouldn't have Link had these flashbacks the first time he visited Gerudo Town in the present day? Like before he beat freed Naboris? Having it occur afterwards means that the canon story is not interfered with. Huge logical fallacies like that can make or break a story, and I think it's best that was avoided. Also, please keep in mind that not everyone has the entire alloted time to devote to thei…

• @Ruki I'm not denying that describing things is important. Just that it has a time and place, and sometimes, a more effective way to protray information quickly is by just exposition, and that's okay. You said yourself in the Tolkien example, often it comes down to time restraints. To "show" Gandalf's account of Gollum's history and escape would take an entire other book (or at least a complimentary novella), and was unnecessary. Tolkien *could* make his point through Gandalf telling the story t…

• I don't feel comfortable voting, since I participated in the contest, and the last time I both voted and participated it caused a minor kerfuffle. But I do have something to say in regards some of the comments you made, @Ruki. You seem to have a bit of an obsession over the concept of "show don't tell", and frankly, I think that this idea that literature has to be visual is damaging to the genre. Writing is *not* the same as viewing a tv show or movie, or reading a graphic novel. While they are …

• Quebec 2018 election blog

Here's hoping the provincial election in Quebec will be less of a ****show than Ontario's was. Hoping for a better outcome for our Belle Province neighbours too.

• Just finished my Writing Contest Entry for this month! I'm rather proud of it too!

• *looks at the ReDead infesting this zombie thread. Plays Sun's Song* Locked.

• Who's That Pokemon!

Violetlight - - Forum Games

Delibird? (I think I heard that description somewhere before)

• An Unwanted Journey

I like the irony of Apollo's Geodude being named after a Sky god (pretty much the exact opposite of a ground/rock type). So, are the Team Rocket Trio actually going to be somewhat effective in this story, or their usual bumbling selves? Interesting that they still have Arbok and Wheezing too. Didn't they let them go in the anime? I was kind of hoping to see Jesse's Mimikyu (Surge has a Manectric, so it's not only Kanto pokemon allowed). Looking forward to your update!

• First person perspective can be very difficult write well. The limitations of the style means that it can sound very unnatural in descriptive passages. Trying to balance accurate description with what somebody might actually be telling themselves in their head, without it sounding like a bad film noir voiceover (unless that's what you're going for), can be a challenge. I only really used it effectively in an old X-men fanfic, "Changes", on my fanfiction.net page, and only because I could really …

• @Dark Link Reigns Whoops. Hubby was playing it on our PS3 and his PSP, not the PS4. Sorry about that. But yeah, if you can get it on the older systems (if the PSN store is still up for them), you can play it. He's going to double check for you Edit: He just checked. The PS3's store is still up and Legend of Dragoon is still available!

• Who's That Pokemon!

Violetlight - - Forum Games

Mewtwo?

• I have a morning free tomorrow (drop my son off at daycare around 8, don't have to work until 12:30) so I'm planning on working on my entry then.

• An Unwanted Journey

Hermes too! And that totally went over my head, lol.

• An Unwanted Journey

It's unusual that someone would start their Pokemon Journey (as it were) with an already-evolved pokemon, but I suppose Artemis' age and the fact that he isn't a typical 11 year old going to the gyms excuses that. By the way, "Artemis" is the name of a Greek goddess. Yes, it's also the name of a male cat in Sailor Moon, but it's usually a girls' name due to the original source material, though I suppose you already knew that since his Umbreon is Athena. Are Olympian names going to be a theme? Lo…

• Fan Fiction Competition!

I'm in!

• I don't think there's much point in me getting game time until I'm back from mu trip at the end of the month, but it sounds like an awesome expansion! I can't wait!

• What’s in a Character?

I tend to develop my characters more organically when I write, just write what comes to mind and what works well for the situation at hand. If I don't like it later, I can always go back and edit the heck out of my work. That said, I'm having a little difficulty with the character who is supposed to be the protagonist in my original (as of right now, nameless) novel, an insect-obsessed university student named Lana. She started out as a character from a kids' story I wrote for a school project i…

• @Dark Link Reigns You can get Legend of Dragoon on PSN. My husband plays it on our PS4. It's one of his favourites too. Does the SNES Classic version of Super Mario RPG count as a rerelease? Anyway ... huh. This is a hard one. Most of the games I like have been rereleased on modern consoles, though I am partial to NIntendo games so no surprise there. Heck, I still remember when "Nintendo Game" was a synonym for video games in general! The only one I can think of in my collection that I have to h…

• Just watched the first 2 episodes of "Disenchantment", a new Netflix series by Matt Groening. It's about a drunk princess, her demon friend, and a runaway Keebler Elf in what amounts to basically Fantasy Futurama, and it's awesome so far!

• Unpopular Opinions

Violetlight - - General Chit-Chat

I agree completely that dog racing should be banned, as the dogs are rarely treated well. Horse racing is a bit more iffy. Race horses are generally well-treated, from my understanding, so as long as they are allowed to "retire" i.e. go to a farm and live peacefully after their racing careers are finished, I don't have too much of a problem with it. It's likely that if they weren't deemed "useful" for racing, chances are the horses would be just sent to be glue or dog food anyway, as was the fat…

• Getting my armour-clad butt handed to me by the boss in Maridia in Super Metroid. I think I need to go back and find some more Energy Tanks before trying again. It's weird - Kraid and Phantoom were no problem. While watching my husband play Super Mario RPG (he just reached Monstro Town), I came up with an interesting theory. When you first pick up Geno, he tells the boss you face right afterwards that he serves a "higher power" and can't have the Star Piece. What if the "higher power" Geno serve…

• The Blood Club

This is an interesting story. I particularly liked the chapter with the play, that freaked the King out so badly. Is his name Claudius by any chance? It seemed like something straight out of Hamlet! Subbing

• ALBW Sages Discussion

Violetlight - - Theorizing

@misisme33 Remember that ALttP was the first game in the series to have story in-game, not just in the instruction manuals. The other races hadn't even been designed at that point, so from the point of view of that game, the whole "blood of the wise men" thing made sense. However, OoT and all subsequent games have changed that. It's not a bad thing - I think the series as a whole is better for having Zoras/Gerudo/Gorons/Kokiri etc. However, it would have been nice if ALBW, as a sequel to ALttP a…

• ALBW Sages Discussion

Violetlight - - Theorizing

I'm of the belief that the Maidens in ALttP being blood descendants, by which I mean direct family members, of the OoT Sages, is not exactly true. In contrast, they are inheritors of the Sage powers, so descendants of the power, but do not necessarily have to be direct family members. Therefore, it's entirely possible that Sages that would otherwise not have descendants without a major rewrite (Saria due to her race, Impa and Rauru possibly due to their ages) or to whom the Maidens are an entire…

• Game Boy Classic

Violetlight - - General Gaming

Quote from john_marston: “If it would include Shantae I'd 100% pick up a gameboy classic. The price of the original cartridge is just ridiculous. ” If you have a 3DS, you can get Shantae on the Virtual Console for about $5. That's what I did

• Just thought of a cool idea for a boss fight in a CT game: The Hero's Shade is pissed at this game's incarnation of Link, and we have to fight him! We'd get our asses handed to us, but still. It would be a fun fight! Like Dark Link in OoT x 100!

• I was playing Super Mario Bros 2 last night on my NES Classic, and I'm happy to say I suck less at that one than Mario 3! Princess Peach ftw!

• I know MatPat isn't the most popular YouTuber on this board (so he screwed up with the the "MM Link is Dead" theory -- that was one of his firsts, and he's improved a hell of a lot since then), but I agree wholeheartedly with his assertion that BotW *should* fall on the Fallen Hero Timeline. It's not just the yellow stripe on the hat, or the Sage references. It's the whole thematic feel of BotW. If it's all about "getting back to the series' roots", what better why then to make it the open world…

• Hyrule Conquest

Really cool to see Hylia as a competent swordswoman! I'd love to see your take on Twilight Princess Zelda, or another incarnation with the rapier, especially if she uses Olympic Epee style fencing. (I was on my university's varsity fencing team. I sucked at it, but I still loved it, and it's not seen in fiction very often) I thought maybe the bird people were a different kind of Rito, or maybe an evolved Oocca, but it's actually really cool and unique to see them as your version of Wizzrobes. Ve…

• Quote from Chel: “What'd you think of Starfox 2? ” My husband's the big Starfox fan, not I. I suck even worse at rail shooters than I do at platformers, lol. He was kinda disappointed in it. He said the gameplay's basically identical to, I think Star Fox Command? Whatever the one for the DS was. I think he's still disappointed it didn't come out back when he was a kid and was really looking forward to it for his birthday. I'm interested in the stories behind the other two team members though, Fa…

• Video games and escapism

Violetlight - - General Gaming

I figure that as long as the "important" things in life are taken care of: i.e. your bills are paid, you go to work, you take care of your kids (if you have any), then how you spend what free time you have is your business and yours alone. I love reading, but sometimes I prefer to play a game. So what? I don't consider one any better or worse than the other. Honestly, what some people consider "wastes of time" changes with every generation. In the 1950s, the Moral Guardians were all up in arms a…