Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 360.
  • The placement of the Oracle games has always been a major topic of debate. Before any official timeline was released, we were told they could basically fit anywhere. We can nitpick many details for weeks (and we have). The truth is that the placement of the Oracle games does not make logical sense. The timeline has holes, and this isn't the only one. They are continuous reminders that Nintendo really does not care about the timeline half as much as fans do.

• Is OOT’s hyrule field annoying?

Joshua - - Classic Zelda

It certainly isnt annoying. As others have said, 20 years ago it was mind blowing. By today's standard, it's pretty unoffensive at best and a little empty at best. It was designed as a hub that made the world feel larger than it is. It serves that purpose nicely.

• I do not think Zelda lore is any more complicated than most other fantasy storylines. It is significantly simpler than many. However, dealing with time travel immediately makes it complicated. And few Zelda games make any effort to show how they connect with others in an obvious way. Ultimately, the timeline (and therefore the lore) is all arbitrary. Nintendo can and will and has changed it whenever they like.

• I remember ZU when...

Joshua - - General Chit-Chat

Quote from HeroOfTime5: “Has anyone heard from @BigGoronSword ? or @TSA? ” I missed this comment before. After leaving The Hylia, TSA worked at Game Trailers basically until they shut down. I met up with him (for the first time) at PAX South 2015. He hosted a Game Trailers panel at the show. He informed me that he was moving to my area (Dallas), and he we ended up hanging out a few times and going to see some movies. But before 2015 was over, he had moved back west somewhere, and I have not seen…

• I remember ZU when...

Quote from F3: “Exploding Deku Nut vanished years ago now. ” Darth Citrus closed the site a long time ago, but the archive was still online in 2017. The URL is dead now. Quote from Lars: “Hi everyone, new faces and familiar ones! @lord-of-shadow pinged me and told me that you were all having a nostalgia party here, and I thought I'd crash it. Quote from Joshua: “So, the other day, a conversation with some of the other ZU team leaders led me down memory lane, and I started looking at the old ZU p…

• I remember ZU when...

Quote from Hoju: “ Any of you returning old timers remember me? I remember Lord of Shadow! ” I don't think I remember you, but I was just lurking on HTLOZ a few minutes ago and saw your name there.

• I remember ZU when...

So, here's an old tool that will mostly be familiar to others who ran little Zelda websites. Who remembers Cute News? http://cutephp.com/http://cutephp.com/ It appears to still be under active development. These were the days before Wordpress and before a teenager with no money could get a legit Content Management System. The websites were hand coded, and Cute News was about the best free thing there was to manage your front page blog/news updates. So, all of us had it.

• I remember ZU when...

Shona is one of my favorite people When I opened The Temple of Time in 2002, I did what every new Zelda webmaster knew was the first step: you click around to all the websites and email them all about becoming an affiliate so that your link would appear on their pages. The first two people I contacted were Shona and Mases. There are very few people that I have known longer. I was very forunate to finally meet Shona - and His Majesty, The Missing Link, who is also wonderful - last year at E3. If …

• I remember ZU when...

Quote from Cody: “Quote from lord-of-shadow: “Speaking of still alive - it is a goddamn miracle that the forum user database is still intact. This system remembers my join date. Goddamn. Well done, everyone who's worked on that over the years. ” Our forum's had some database problems in the past and vBulletin had a nightmare breakdown back in 2014 that took a couple of months of data with it but considering what it's been through over 16 years of forums and more than one forum software change it…

• I remember ZU when...

@'F3' Hi! I think Cody already introduced me well enough. It's nice to see you. Well, Cody told me to rattle off some more facts in the thread, and I gotta keep up the illusion that I work for him and do whatever he tells me to, so here we go. So, here's a couple personal stories. - I merged Zelda Relic into Zelda Dungeon in 2009. I worked with Mases for a while, and then took a short hiatus. I suck at not working on a website, so I made a little Wordpress blog to write up some game reviews and …

• I remember ZU when...

Quote from Mirren: “Has this all been a setup or something? This thread has been too good to be true! Hahahaha It has been far too long since I've seen that Dr. Wright avy! Good to see you again, Peef! ” I am fairly certain this is Cody's handiwork. I know he threw me into the thread (I'm a very active member of the community, I just work behind the scenes most of the time and rarely post on the forums), and I know that he grabbed Max as well. So, I'm just going to assume that Cody went out of h…

• I remember ZU when...

Quote from Chel: “I remember ZU when... erm... the Winter 2017 Awards season was in progress? ^^; I will forever be a newbie in the grand scheme of things. ” Don't be so sure. Fifteen years goes by faster than anyone expects.

• I remember ZU when...

Quote from Max Nichols: “There was that one time where someone (Maybe Joshua?) made a special forum -The Stone Watchers I think - that was ONLY for Zelda webmasters and other prominent community members. Influencers, they'd call us nowadays. There were like 20 of us there. I think we were supposed to operate like illuminati or something. Didn't stay active long. Edit: Joshua: "North Castle is not only the oldest Zelda fan site still online - it is also the oldest Zelda fan site that the communit…

• I remember ZU when...

Cody summoned me. I am the self-proclaimed keeper of knowledge of the history of the Zelda community, and it's my favorite thing to talk about. So, many thanks to my boss, the illustrious Cody for letting me know about this thread. Many people have mentioned old Zelda websites and the people from them, so I thought I'd elaborate on some of those topics since I have some details that aren't often discussed. But first, I'll answer the original question asked in this thread. I joined the community …

• Welcome back! Something something old-timers something something get off my lawn.

• Apparently I came to this thread to say the same thing a lot of others have said just recently. I really dislike being angry. I don't get angry easily, and I end up feeling awful when I do get angry.

• Unpopular Zelda Opinions

Joshua - - General Zelda

This unpopular opinion seems to be on topic right now, so here we go: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is a masterpiece. It's one of the best games in the series. If you haven't finished it, I highly recommend finding a way to do so - even if you use save states every time you reach a new enemy. I did that, and by the end of the game I was actually good at it, and then I immediately wanted to play through it again without save states - and now I love it even more.

• We are currently evaluating the content we provide to you on a daily basis, and considering new types of content that could be added to the website. We have put together a brief survey to find out how you interact with Zelda Universe. Of course, no improvements would be complete without considering how they will affect the forums. These forums are one of the longest running aspects of Zelda Universe, and the website could never be the same without them. There is always room for improvement, and …

• How did you first find ZU?

How detailed should I make my history lesson? I honestly don't remember when I first found Zelda Universe. I didn't join the forum until 2004, but I had to have known about the website for at least two years prior to that. I suspect I first discovered it while browsing around all the other Zelda websites. I had a habit of visiting a Zelda website, finding the "affiliates" section, and then opening every single link in a new window. Wait a minute... I still do this. At some point, I would have en…

• I don't think there is any design I completely dislike, but the Skyward Sword style is probably my least favorite. My favorite design is the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask style. ...who am I kidding? I love all of them.

• ZU Discord

Joshua - - Help and Feedback

Dang. I saw this thread the other day and thought "Ya know, I should just tell them about the Discord plans." Then I had a moment of doubt and figured @Jason and @Alex Rosenberg would be upset, so I didn't say anything. I should have posted about it before. >_<

• I certainly don't have the same extensive set of knowledge that some of the others here seem to have, but I think I have a clear idea of the major events. So, here's my take. It seems clear that when Nintendo set out to make the biggest Hyrule (or perhaps simply the biggest world; I'm not sure we have any proof that the entire thing is Hyrule) they took special care to incorporate many areas that fans of previous games would recognize. We've already seen the Temple of Time and Market Town from O…

• One element that I miss is Link having the ability to use magic spells. I don't really miss the magic meter, but every time Link had magic abilities they were really cool. The medallions are still some of my favorite items in A Link to the Past, and everyone loves Din's Fire and Nayru's Love in Ocarina of Time. Even The Adventure of Link is home to some neat magic spells. After Ocarina of Time, magic spells seems to have mostly vanished from the series. The closest things we have are the fire, i…

• I didn't get very much color down before I ran out of time. zeldauniverse.net/forums/Attac…dbf3a5e5065615a82e5c1c984

• I find the tentacle cutting portion to be tedious. Constantly charging Skyward Strikes is not fun. I don't think there is anything particularly special about the fight, but it's not a bad boss fight. The Monsters, Inc. design is the primary thing that bothers me about Tentalus. Skyward Sword has a bright, colorful, cartoon-like visual style, but Tentalus still manages to look out of place.

• This would be really cool if it can be figured out, but it there are a lot of different variables between games that make this a difficult project. Weapon strengths don't always affect enemies the same way. You can one hit kill a dodongo with an arrow in Twilight Princess, but arrows don't hurt them at all in other games. Pols Voice are sometimes killed by sound and other times immune to it (TLOZ). It seems like it would be very hard to choose a single weapon to use as a starting point when ther…

• I don't like it

Joshua - - Modern Zelda

I disagree with the idea that a game with a bright art style cannot have a dark story. The Wind Waker is proof of that. That story is full of darkness, destruction, and death. It's a far more powerful experience than the same game would have been with Twilight Princess style visuals. As for character design, the monsters of Hyrule, with few exceptions (e.g. Dead Hand), have never been overly realistic or dark. I mean...Ganon is a giant pig with a trident. Bokoblins and Moblins have seen various …

• The fields in Twilight Princess are uninviting. The entire game is built to be extremely linear. When you just follow the story, you have little reason to spend any time at all in the fields. From the very beginning, you are teleported around the world. You start in Ordon, then teleport to the Castle, and then teleport back to Ordon. When you finally reach the first field after multiple hours of gameplay, there is almost nothing for you to do in it. There's plenty of content in those fields, but…

• I have an interesting relationship with cursive. I was forced to learn it and use it up until around 8th grade. When it was no longer required, I stopped using it (and so did nearly every other student) for everything other than signing my name. Today, I don't need to write down notes as often, but recently I've noticed myself sort of mixing my printed handwriting and cursive together. It's the kind of cursive my teacher would have given me an F for using, but I've actually found it to be a lot …

• Something that annoys me? When someone says "heart piece" instead of "piece of heart."

• Doing a nude/naked run

Joshua - - Modern Zelda

I was expecting this to be a thread about actual nude runs/marathons. I'm a bit disappointed. As for Breath of the Wild, I might give this a shot, but certainly not on my first run through (though Link may stay naked a good part of the time just for fun). The weather than hurts Link could quickly make a naked run not much fun depending on how quickly you take damage. You may end up having to grind for ingredients for hours to cook the best meals (cooked items heal more than the stuff you pick up…

• Should BotW have DLC?

Joshua - - Modern Zelda

Nintendo has done a very good job with DLC in their games, both free and paid. Plus, there is precedent for downloadable content in a Zelda game with Tri Force Heroes. I think the most compelling DLC for Breath of the Wild would be a full expansion that adds a new zone to the map along with new dungeons, items, etc.. I'd love to see that kind of life added to a Zelda game. Honestly, I think that was the plan for Tri Force Heroes, and they did add one batch of additional dungeons, but the popular…

• Breath of the wilds dungeons

Joshua - - Modern Zelda

I agree that 4 main dungeons seems like too few, but we also don't know the size of each shrine. The Shrines we were shown are relatively small, but they still feel like dungeons. Plus, the exploration required to find them is very rewarding as well. While I love the traditional Zelda dungeons and would love to see more than 4, I don't think the game will suffer if there are only 4.

• I will most definitely be playing this game with as little clothing as is appropriate for the situation where I am playing at the time. So naked, whenever I am able. As for Link, unfortunately, he'll probably have to wear clothes a lot of the time. Not wearing clothes is going to be super hard mode most of the time.

• My only complaint with the Skyward Sword overworld is that it's not actually connected. I think they did a good job making the overworld not feel empty, but I agree that they could have given players a little more breathing room. I think The Minish Cap probably did the overworld/underworld balance the best. As for the Majora's Mask style gameplay, I think they can and will use a cycle again for sidequests someday. They had more limitations in 2000, but I think they could easily make characters t…

• I wouldn't call it a short game, but you can certainly finish it quickly if you choose to not do any extra content and just play straight through the dungeons. The wall merging mechanic adds a lot of new possibilities to exploration. It made finding all the Pieces of Heart and Maiamais a fun challenge. I really enjoyed completing this game 100% - and I rarely bother getting everything in a game. I haven't replayed A Link Between Worlds in a while. It's probably overdue.

• ZREO Files Missing!

Joshua - - Help and Feedback

The media pages were broken for several months, but a major update to the main site last week should have fixed almost everything. I just tested, and the ZREO download links are functional again now! EDIT: Okay, just read through Topaz's old thread. I didn't download the entire ZREO Zip file to confirm that it's actually functions properly when downloaded. If anything is not working still, we will find it in the near future. We fixed a lot of broken problems in the last 3 weeks, but we still hav…

• Ice's Zelda Central is actually still online at Classic Zelda games, info, strategy, music, and more from Ice's Zelda Central. Though, when I checked it this morning the links don't seem to be working properly (they were working last week). I just recently contacted Ice by email, and he responded. I looked around IZC for a little while to see if I could find Zelda Radio, but I do not see it on the site. If you contact Ice, he may be able to help you further. I've also reached out to a couple of …

• I'll be honest, I don't understand for a moment how you mathematically ended up with that list, so I'm not going to reference it except for one thing: I think it's silly to set out to find the most underrated and most overrated games in a series, and then deliberately disregard six titles in the series. The Adventure of Link, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Tri Force Heroes are all absent from your list. Regardless, here are my choices for the most unde…

• At first, when I considered the idea of "Zelda Maker" I was thrilled and wanted it to happen now. However, the more I think about it, the less I want it. I haven't purchased Mario Maker (though I have played it multiple times) because I don't have time to make levels. Some other people have made compelling stages, but they are not the norm. I've never personally played a Mario Maker stage that made me say "that was a fantastic Mario experience." I know they exist; I've seen them online. I just h…