Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-16 of 16.
  • Gender v. Pronouns

Hylian King - - Zelda Wiki

I think we should take a step back here. Being in a leadership position, the Zelda Wiki staff (Tony in particular) have to make multiple decisions on a regular basis. Whether you agree with them or not, if these decisions didn't get made, little would get done. Disagreeing is fine, constructive criticism is fine. All I'm saying is try to walk a mile in Tony's shoes before you cry "abuse of power." That said, I do think this was a bad idea and it was a bad call to commit to it based on a token ma…

• I oppose. I don't this information is notable or useful enough to put in infoboxes. Infoboxes are met to summarize key aspects of the subject, not to be used as a catalogue of one-word tidbits of info. The idea only makes sense as an alternative to "gender" field, which never should have been a thing in the first place. If that had been the case, we would not be having this conversation. The idea doesn't stand on its own merits. We're trying too hard to preserve something that never should have …

• Hey everyone! Earlier today the Zelda Wiki development team made some changes to the site which I'd like to fill you in on. Account creation has been re-enabled. As some of you already know, we recently had to disable account creation again due to another influx of spam attacks. Account creation is back now that we've installed the new "No CAPTCHA" reCAPTCHA on the wiki. This will replace the "QuestyCaptcha" on the sign-up and edit submission forms for new users. No more Zelda questions, which m…

• We're pretty off-topic at this point so if there aren't any further questions specifically about the Main Page, I'd like to close the thread. You're more than welcome to ask any other questions you may have in the General Chit Chat thread or the Suggestions, Feedback and Requests thread. I don't like to put my foot down like this, but it is an announcement thread that's publicly advertised on the wiki. For the benefit of the people who click the link, the content of the thread should be relevant…

• I modified the code so that on small screens the Main Page would look like this instead of like this. I felt it was better to "spotlight" new games at the top rather than single out old games at the bottom. This makes use of a fairly new feature called "flexbox" that isn't supported in older versions of Internet Explorer. The Main Page won't load correctly on IE 10 or before (as well as much older versions of the other major browsers). Flexboxes do another great thing behind the scenes to stabil…

• Quote: “Oh, wait a sec. Its back to the old one. Its all yellow now in both Chrome and IE. Wasn't it changed to white?” Correct, it was changed but we decided to roll it back. We first tried dark blue, but realized it didn't contrast properly on darker browser themes. (Conversely, the white didn't work for light themes). As far as I can see the only way to make that color scheme work would be to have a square favicon that looked like this: 62a4c13905f8814ccd4c12a55b4b67e7.png We thought the old …

• For future reference, the proper place for that kind of thing would be the Zelda Wiki Suggestions, Feedback and Requests Thread. Quote: “One other thing I mentioned in passing earlier: Will that logo be changed in the tab name? (I mean, at least in IE, next to the tab name is a site logo, and its still the old one. Any plans to change that?)” I've updated the favicon as well as the home screen bookmark icon for iOS and Android. The "Did You Know" section randomly selects trivia from, let's say, …

• I could see us splitting some more of these, but definitely not all of them. IMO notability is a more important factor than consistency in deciding what should get their own article and what shouldn't. We should consider these things case by case rather than trying to apply a sweeping rule across the board that might not work well at all for some cases. Many OoT counterparts aren't notable enough to have their own articles. In fact, if it weren't for their MM counterparts, we probably wouldn't b…

• How do I upload ogg files?

I've changed the file extension setting. Please try uploading the OGG now and confirm whether or not it works. BTW to all those who are wondering, we used to have an OGG player on the wiki but we had to remove the extension for it as it was causing some issues on the site. Hopefully we'll have some form of OGG player up in the near future.

• That's really odd. I distinctly recall the search bar having suggestions enabled when I was working on it, but now that I go back to it, it doesn't work for me either. Hopefully a solution will present itself. For now I'm at a loss. :/

• The navigation bar above the game articles have always been there. It was probably made around the same time as the old main page. We do plan to update it at some point but I wouldn't exactly say it's a priority. In fact, I kind of wonder if there's much point to having it at all. I don't imagine it's very widely used, and it's just going to become more and more bulky and in-the-way as new games are released. And we already have this thing at the end of every game article anyway.

• Ah, I forgot one thing. Quote from JasonBall34: “The Category spot looks really good, and I have no complaints. The MM3D icons are relevant currently, and I hope they will change upon the next game to match that game's respective looks.” We'd like that, but it depends on what material the games give us to work with. I'm not really hopeful that future games will give us a nice set of fitting icons like MM3D did. Like, what other than the Bomber's Notebook would work as well for the Events categor…

• Wow, that's really thorough! Thanks! We're not entirely satisfied with the corner logo, either. It'll probably be tweaked in the near future (maybe even scrapped if everyone really hates it). Quote from JasonBall34: “The Spin-Offs tab looks really unaligned. It oughta be straightened out, perhaps be removing those weird logos on the left of the rows, or making them smaller and out of the way.” Good point. (Funnily enough, that's one part of the layout that looks a lot better on smaller screens. …

• Hi everyone! Today marks the day of Zelda Wiki's 10th anniversary! In celebration we've released the new logo and Main Page we've been working on. Credit goes to Josh Lindquist for designing the logo and most of the main page, too. (Basically, he worked real hard on it, then I stole the design and ran with it :P) Many thanks to him, Jason Rappaport and Caleb Peters for the design advice. Credit should also go to Pixel for the images used, and to many other ZW staffers who contributed ideas used …

• New Site Nav!

Hmm good call. Thanks!

• New Site Nav!

Hi all, As some of you will have noticed, our clunky old banners for the Discussion Center, Help Guide, Image Requests, etc. have been replaced with this new navigation template that I made recently. Before: 6117705ab05eb13b022c01c7aea59ab4 After: 61f147bd2ac0c5387fdb7f41f61e1a19 Let me know what you think!