Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • So, I stopped doing weekly updates on Sarazanmai, but I didn't stop watching it, just rather than making a post a week I decided to write down my thoughts offline and then post 'em all at once when the show finished. As it wrapped up last week, it's time for a mega-post: Overall, I think Sarazanmai is my favourite post-Utena series helmed by Ikuhara. It's not flawless, but it avoids the pacing problems that plagued Penguindrum and Yurikuma Arashi while having a strong cast that's easy to like an…

• I'm not hugely clear on 5th edition, I think it simplifies a lot of stuff that the editions I have knowledge about (a bit of 2 and 3.5) made really obtuse and arcane, but how much you care about rules and modifiers depends to a large extent on how you're playing. DnD, I suspect, will always care more about the minutia than some (there are RP systems out there without any dice or math at all) but if you, the other players, and the DM agree you can end up with a game where you never fight, or comb…

• Quote from Jehanne: “some of this information on the sheet must be for damage because they are specifying different die to use for the roll... whereas, isn't the d20 used for the attack roll? ... so, are you thinking that the +5 is for the d20 attack roll ... and the 1d8 +3 is for the damage ? ” That would be my assumption, yeah. That's roughly how it worked in 3.5 (you didn't have a proficiency bonus in quite the same way, but otherwise it's the same idea), and I can't think of what else that +…

• Is that +5 to your attack roll, or your damage roll? For strength-based weapons your strength should improve both your attack and your damage, from what I can tell, but your proficiency should only improve your attack, if I'm reading this right.

• Oh, wait,that's probably your strength modifier being applied to your damage roll. Not sure how I forgot about that.

• I'm not familiar with 5th Edition, but if it's anything like 2, 3, or 3.5 then that +3 indicates that the weapon is of very high quality and so has a bonus to hit and damage rolls. A more standard weapon wouldn't have it. You might be choosing very rare/magical-quality weapons in the online builder?

• Quote from Topaz Mutiny: “If anyone here has played Ōkami, I hope you share my pain in absolutely hating the Waterspout brush technique, because it never works when you want it to. I’d say “such is shape recognition” but Waterspout is a LINE. It’s a line from a spawn point and it barely works with or without motion controls and I hate it. ” Water spout is one I always had a real easy time with, because the brush starts "dripping", for lack of a better term, when it's in the right spot to use it.…

• Quote from Viajero de la Galaxia: “Quote from John: “I see the point of remasters as being to introduce new people to the old classics and let old fans of them play them on modern hardware, both of which are very good goals. Gaming tends to be terrible about preserving its history, so any effort to do so should be applauded. ” I'm not sure if remasters work well at introducing new people to old classics. Depends on the age of the game I think, like if the Mass Effect games were remastered (i.e. …

• But why make it a remake, then? What's the point if you're not going to keep anything from the original? Far better, in that case, to make a brand new IP and do something creative. I see the point of remasters as being to introduce new people to the old classics and let old fans of them play them on modern hardware, both of which are very good goals. Gaming tends to be terrible about preserving its history, so any effort to do so should be applauded.

• Quote from MVS: “@John OoT 3D did not remake all the models. They did for key-characters yes, but not for all. Most random NPCs looks pretty much the same with perhaps some improvements. But that's beside the point. OoT 3D was merely a visual upgrade, and that's it. That's fine I guess, but it is also boring if you ask me. Especially for a person who has played the game for like 50 times or something. The original is old, but still fully playable and is very accessible (even though you can't pla…

• Quote from Kerest: “It's also entirely possible that Netflix is tied to not comment at all by licensing agreements. I've noticed a couple other companies publishing odd translations, like Netflix does, also have absolutely no comment on the translation. And not all of them are working with Khara. I find it interesting that there's this sudden stonewalling of American audiences by Japanese companies when it comes to anime translations. There's been a lack of listening before by a tiny number of t…

• Quote from Envy: “TBH, I was incredibly disappointed with the super-conservative 3DS OOT remake, which played exactly like the original and effectively looked like nothing more than a remastered port with better textures and some new models here and there. You look at the FFVII Remake and it is just completely the real deal. It's a dream come true for many, I'm sure, and even though I'm new to FFVII, I am incredibly hyped for it too (the part about it be splitting up, not so much. Ugh.). I reall…

• Quote from Mirren: “Quote from John: “What we can hope for is an actual official explanation from someone who actually knows what was going on here, and, if it turns out to be a mistranslation that can be fixed, then fixing it. ” The truest authority on this subject is Hideaki Anno himself, and he is notorious for upholding Evangelion's ambiguity. I doubt he would ever clarify, as he's always seemed to take a lot of pride in the franchise being open to interpretation. ” I meant more from the Net…

• Quote from Pietro: “Honestly, I'm not into anime, don't know Evangelion or any of its characters or the context of this scene with the rest of the anime. I also don't know any Japanese, so I have no basis on making an informed judgement as to whether this is straightwashing or not, I'll leave that to more knowledgeable people. But as a general statement when it comes to specifically certain Japanese video games (and while I don't watch it I also hear that this is frequently an issue with anime) …

• I've been seeing a lot of discourse on this with absolutely no one agreeing on any of it. What is definitely true: The original translation used "Love", this one uses "Like". What I've seen claimed: The original Japanese script uses a term that is most accurately translated as "like". The original Japanese script uses a term that is most accurately translated as "love". The words used for "like" and "love" in this context sound very similar and while the script uses one of them the spoken dialog…

• Going off of VGChartz, so, grain of salt, they have 2.24 million shipped for Awakening, and the total shipped across all three versions of Fates is 2.85 million. Going off Wikipedia, Awakening had 1.9 million copies sold by 2 years post-release, while all versions of Fates combined had 1.6 million copies sold by that point, including downloads. So Fates sold roughly on-par with Awakening across all versions, it looks like.

• A bit, but Fates, across all versions combined, had lower total sales numbers than Awakening, from what I can tell (though it might've been about on-par). Given that three releases, even with largely re-used assets, is substantially more work than one, the much lower sales numbers probably mean that it wasn't seen as a wise move to try that again.

• Yes, as are walking, sleeping, and bathing.

• If you like the concept of Stardew but aren't big on the execution (I bounced off it myself, and I like Story of Seasons (nee Harvest Moon) games) then you might want to keep an eye on the Rune Factory 4 remaster for Switch (or just play the original on 3DS), which keeps the ability to do farming, but focuses a lot more on going out exploring in a very Zelda-esque sort of style. It also has every action (Cutting wood, watering plants, using a sword, eating...) you do be a skill that you earn XP …

• Quote from KiraBBYamato: “They wouldn't, presumably because people will always buy them. There are people who bought Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon, after all. Why put in extra effort when you're guaranteed ten million in sales no matter what? ” Then why did they bother putting them all in up until now? But this is also a different argument. If the cost to put in all 1 000 is substantial enough that they'd make noticeably more money by not doing so then clearly it's not a trivial thing to …

• Quote from Lorulean: “They could... Do that work, right? Let's face it, they're going to make at least half a dozen Pokemon games for the Switch. Remake of an older gen, a new gen, another remake or another older gen. So once Sword/Shield are out, they've done the big of the work and they're ready to chain-make those games, as they've done without fail for what, twenty years? It's not like they're making those games at a loss, ever. ” They're saying they don't have the resources to do the work, …

• gonintendo.com/stories/337863-…t-including-all-pokemon-i So, Game Freak gave an interview to Famitsu that largely confirms what I suspected: The idea going forwards is that your Pokemon collection will live in Home, and you'll bring a subset of them into future games. They cut back the number of Pokemon in Sword & Shield because updating the models takes resources they don't have, makes balancing difficulty extremely difficult, and makes it almost impossible to add new features. They don't want …

• It's a bit complicated. While Obsidian are the developers for it, they were using Bethesda's engine (an old version of it) and were publishing on Bethesda's timeline, so they inherited a lot of bugs and issue from Bethesda that they didn't have the time or resources to fix.

• Figure out what sort of game your group is going for. Is it going to be mostly about roleplaying characters? Intricate and strategic fighting? Comedy? Drama? Are you expected to talk "in-character"? Is this going to be collaborative storytelling or something more competitive? Basically, there's many different ways to play, so you'll want to make sure you're on the same page as everyone else, so that if they're here just to hit things with swords and you want to do something closer to group story…

• Quote from Vulpes: “I'd be more sympathetic to the argument that making new 3D models is a lot of work if I felt the models actually looked good. ” How much you like their appearance is kinda irrelevant to how much work they take to make and maintain. They could be the most hideous designs ever seen and they'd still take a huge amount of time and money to keep current.

• Quote from ich Will: “Quote from John: “So people are upset that Pokemon games aren't introducing new features and feel smaller than they used to. The solution to that is to cut back the number of Pokemon in the games, so Game Freak does that...and people freak out. What, exactly, is the solution here? People are upset but won't accept the only reasonable solution. So what's left? ” So I'm not on the side of people that are upset by the change, but if I were to play their advocate for a second; …

• Quote from Advance: “Quote from BackSet: “Out of curiosity: how the hell do you innovate a turn based jrpg? Hasn't Final Fantasy already done literally any and all innovations possible. ” I actually agree, Final Fantasy is literally getting rid of turn-based battles. I have nothing to back this up but I think the industry and consumers just don't like them anymore. Do people want that with Pokémon too? It would literally be a different game. Final Fantasy VII and the remake aren't the same game,…

• Quote from BackSet: “Out of curiosity: how the hell do you innovate a turn based jrpg? Hasn't Final Fantasy already done literally any and all innovations possible. ” Oh, lots of things are possible. You can innovate in the writing, you can innovate in the combat system (FF has done some of that, but stuff like the Legend of Heroes: Trails of/in games, or Eternal Sonata, or quite a few others show other ways to do that without losing the turn-based nature), you can add new minigames, you an add …

• Quote from Common Knowledge: “Man, I took a look at some Youtube videos of this game from E3 and this game is getting killed by dislikes. Not that that is gonna make much of a difference but the outrage everywhere certainly means that the developers are going to be well aware of all of this and possibly rethink this whole thing, if not for this game, then for the future. I don't have too much of a investment in Pokemon myself, but I do feel this whole thing is kind of the straw that broke the ca…

• Quote from Khao: “Everything about this game looks amazing, but I personally just couldn't get into the gameplay of Crypt of the Necrodancer. Might give it another chance one of this days, and if I manage to get into it, I'll most likely end up buying this one. Kida weird to hear about this game being easy considering CotN is freaking brutal. ” Quote from Setras: “So, I picked up the game yesterday, and apparently I'm just horrendous at it, because I can't seem to make any kind of progress, even…

• Well, we don't know if they've asked for an extension and were told "no", or if they just didn't ask at all. We also don't know if the ability to import all of them will be patched in later or not, or, well, anything. All we've got is a lot of speculation and guesswork.

• Quote from Takanuva: “Maybe so, but there's loving fans for every Pokémon, including the ones that we personally despise or think are useless. Asking for anyone's interests to be put above someone else's is bound to invite conflict in the community. It doesn't matter what it is. Someone loves Maractus. I mean, I think Maractus is cute. What about Mawile? Or Delphox? Or any non gen 1 starter? Piplup probably won't make it in there. I'm not happy with the lack of a national dex still, and I'm like…

• To be clear, I would like to know why they couldn't get all the 'mons in, and I hope we get some more information (especially on which ones didn't make the cut). I can speculate a bunch, and I trust Game Freak enough (and also just that not including all 1000-odd is potentially leaving money on the table) to assume that there's a reason for it. Why don't they have usable models? Did they upgrade them? Is it an animation thing? Did they roll out a new engine that took longer than anticipated? Is …

• My understanding is that, yes, you can transfer from the bank to Home, which is how it unites pretty much every gen.

• Quote from KiraBBYamato: “No. In gen 7, they gave every Pokemon walking and running animations for use in the overworld. Many of which were used in LGPE. I doubt overworld animations have anything to do with it. I'm out of the house now, so I'll just ask three succinct questions. 1: Why was it not a problem to reuse models and animations between gens 6 and 7? (They were used in Go and LGPE too, but let's ignore that) 2: Why did they omit the National Dex from the gen 7 games? 3: Why does a compa…

• Quote from KiraBBYamato: “Unless your real name is Junichi Masuda or Shigeru Ohmori, I'll be taking your opinions as they are. I do find it suspect that the company behind the most successful media franchise in the entire world is having issues with copying and pasting models that they explicitly created for the sake of being able to use them "for a long, long time". I think it has less to do with 'what can they do' and more with 'what do they want to do'. They absolutely could include all 807 p…

• Quote from KiraBBYamato: “Ahh, I was wondering why this thread suddenly had so much activity. There is very little workload involved in leaving the old Pokemon in the code. As we've seen, they're reusing X/Y models and animations as-is. The models in that game were deliberately made to be future proof, so they wouldn't have to go and make all of them again. There was no issue with copying and pasting them all for gen 7, there should be no issue with gen 8.” They aren't using the X/Y in-game mode…

• I don't get who Stadia is for. You need a quite good internet connection, which rules out a huge chunk of the US and Canada. But let's say you live in a city and can afford a good connection...why would you spend $120/year (or more) on a streaming service when you can spend $300 to get a console that'll last you six years? With the cost of games you might come out ahead on Stadia, depending on if you're buying new, how many games you buy, etc. but it's probably a pretty close-run thing for a lot…

• Quote from Keyaki: “I don't see how that's a good enough reason. Back in Gen V they made animated sprites for ALL of the Pokemon as well as animated 3D animations for them all in Gen VI. For them to choose not to do it now because of the workload, especially since it seems like the ratio of new Pokemon to old Pokemon seems likely to favor the old Pokemon, just seems lazy. Hell, a majority of the Pokemon weren't in the Alolan Dex either but you could still have them in Gen VII. If the workload is…

• Quote from Mango The Magician: “It's without a doubt Ganondorf, I'm more confused by that blue arm. It looks way different than any form of Malice, and it looks really familiar, I just can't place it. Also, I'm now not sure if it's forcibly grabbing Link or saving him from falling. ” It reminds me of Wind Waker-era Floormasters and of Midna's magic hand. Quote from pj777: “One thing I want to mention about the Ganondorf theory, if this is indeed him than that raises a plothole concern. If that's…