Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • Quote from Great White North: “The American Right - and indeed the Right in most Western countries - has their priorities. They want less immigrants, and social homogeneity. They want low taxes and 'fair trade'. They want their bibles and their guns and everything else that the left sneers at as bigoted and archaic. So you can either acknowledge that and search for a compromise even if it tastes bitter, or you can try to drive all your opponents to the edge of polite society. But you don't win r…

• Quote from Avalanchemike: “I honestly can't blame anyone who doesn't vote who is young. What have politicians (not just in America, but outside it) done for youth? Politicians are overwhelmingly people who are 60+ who cater to other people who are 60+ - one needs only look at Brexit to see how devastating that can be for generations. The people who voted for it are the people who won't live with the consequences of it and dreamed up this nostalgia for the empire. It's millenials who are going to…

• Quote from hismaimai2000: “I live in Australia, where we have a progressive tax system (the more you earn, you pay a larger % of tax). While having a discussion with my dad about ways we would "run" the country if we were in charge, economic policy came up a lot and I found it interesting that we would both change the way tax works. I seemed a little more extreme, the biggest change being I would adopt a flat tax system (everybody gets taxed the same %, regardless of how much you earn). ” The re…

• Quote from RealmWings: “This makes me indescribably angry, but I also feel completely helpless. If known rapists can be presidents and Supreme Court Justices, what can we even do? ” As a generation, we don't vote nearly enough, the bare minimum level of political participation in decision making. pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018…-of-voters-this-november/ So we can start by at least actually voting when it matters before we start despairing about "what can we even do?"

• Quote from logicalpencils: “The defense and insistence that Kavanaugh be nominated to the court isn't predicated on us thinking that he's the absolute best candidate for the job -- I would also have preferred Barrett. We are defending Kavanaugh because he is still qualified for the position, and we will not accept this destruction of character as a precedent for how these nominations will proceed in the future. To drop this nomination would be to accept the standard you're suggesting that being …

• Quote from logicalpencils: “No, it is the duty to provide evidence in any objective setting, including a job interview. This splitting of hairs is ridiculous -- nobody accepts every accusation against a public figure as true simply because the accusation has been made. People should consider its truthfulness as evidence comes out in support of the claim, but to try to justify this lynch mob mentality by saying "this isn't a court of law" is sort of missing the point that lynch mob mentality is i…

• Octopath Traveler

LegendofLex - - General Gaming

Quote from Cody: “Quote from Sabbo: “Ahoy all. I'm looking for some help in attempting to cheese some lategame content a bit earlier, but I'm avoiding unnecessary spoilers for anything I haven't done (with a comparatively strict definition of "spoiler") I'm looking to complete The Shrine of the Runeblade asap, but all I've done so far is every Ch.1, and the Ch.2s of Tressa, Cyrus, and Ophelia (I'm in the middle of H'aanit's), and visited every town and the eight shrines. (along the way buying/st…

• I remember ZU when...

LegendofLex - - General Chit-Chat

Quote from Cody: “He's been some variation of Lex for at least 10 years, but in terms of back when you were most active he went by usernames like Winddjinnboy or LionHarted. ” Quote from HeroOfTime5: “I think Seran Aileron for a while as well? ” Quote from lord-of-shadow: “ Oooooh. Now THOSE are names I recognize. Especially Winddjinn! ” Monstrously ancient times, those. I'm floored that there are still so many people I recognize around these parts! Quote from Prof. Fish: “Haha I totally feel yo…

• I remember ZU when...

LegendofLex - - General Chit-Chat

(I'll scrub through here and say hi to folks gradually as time goes on, I promise) I actually remember where I was when I *joined* ZU: slacking off joyfully in my high school computer science class in spring semester of 2003, right around the time The Wind Waker was coming out. Back then, I was really into writing high-school-level amateurish fan fiction, and that plus the vibrant fanart community was what drew me in. That was the beginning of what I'd consider my "life on the Internet," and per…

• Octopath Traveler

Quote from John: “See, I'd disagree that it invokes role-playing. In fact, I think it actively discourages it with the minimalist writing, the necessary use of field actions, the limited party size, etc. There's only ever one way a character can approach any problem, the only choice you get is which character does something. I'd also very much say it's a traditional JRPG divided into 8 sub-stories. The stories don't interconnect, the characters barely interact, and while you can go anywhere at a…

• Octopath Traveler

I'm just getting to the Ch8 stories after about 75ish hours in the game. One thing that's really disappointed me about the game's online reception, especially by major reviewers, is that very few people seem to judge Octopath as what it is: an open-world JRPG, rather than merely a traditional JRPG broken into eight stories. The game is deliberately designed to encourage you to engage with the role-playing elements and embody a specific character in this universe. It doesn't want you to just cons…

• Quote from Certifiable Frivolity: “So, my question is, will I have to do that day one update that everyone groaned about back when the Wii U came out, or is the update already on the system now? I know it's probably a dumb question, but I just want to know.” Since Wii U has been selling terribly, assume any Wii U you buy is actually a launch system.

• Quote from Cersei Lannister: “I think someone said this already, but they need to scrap the deluxe edition. Nintendoland wasn't the 'Wii U Sports' they were hoping for it to be and external hard drives are readily available. At this point, Nintendo should be selling for as cheap as they can go.” The Deluxe Set is far and away the better-selling version, to the point that no one is buying (or stocking) the Basic Set! If anything, they need to get rid of the Nintendo Land SKU and replace it with M…

• Wii U Basic Set is no longer being stocked anywhere (checked GameStop, Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Kmart). Deluxe Set price cut incoming? I seriously think they need to cut it down to $250.

• Quote from Konacha: “With both the PS4 & Xbox One going on sale soon and the prices are not that bad Nintendo needs to do a 100 dollar price drop. Right now the Black one is selling for $350.” $100 price drop would still be less of a price cut percentage-wise than 3DS had (28% for Wii U vs. 32% for 3DS), even when 3DS was in a much stronger position with weaker competition. Nintendo is batshit insane for holding out on a price cut, even if they're taking a loss on hardware right now. Long-term h…

• I prefer the 3DS because it's a DSi that also plays 3DS games.

• Quote from America: “Well, since Nintendo has the money to last quite a while on low income/no income/pure losses, I can't see Nintendo stop making games for at least a half century personally.” There's a difference between "not going bankrupt" and "maintaining a position as a relevant player in the market." Nintendo must make the correct decisions with their video game consoles and games if they want to remain in the video game business. You won't see them say, "well, we can continue taking the…

• The broader business context is probably the most important factor in determining whether Nintendo even continues to make games.

• Quote from Bill: “Obviously, the Game Pad is the Wii U's defining feature. That's the issue.” Of course it is an issue. The defining feature should be the games. It was for NES, it was for SNES, it was for Game Boy, it was for N64, it was for GBA, it was for GCN. It even was for DS and for Wii, and it is now for 3DS. It was never the hardware. It was the games. Sometimes hardware ENABLED games (like Wii Sports), but it was always software that pushed hardware, not hardware that pushed hardware. …

• @Bill: I rank Wii U's problems as follows - 1) Slow releases of compelling software - which for a game console means lack of value. Wii had Wii Sports, but it also had (at this point in its life): - Twilight Princess - Wii Play (bundling a game with an extra controller was genius) - WarioWare - Sonic & The Secret Rings - Super Paper Mario - Mario Party 8 - Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - Mario Strikers Charged I believe each of these became a million seller (with the exception maybe of Strikers C…

• Quote from Bill: “Where would they be if they had capitalized on the success of the Wii and launched a "Wii HD" back in 2011 when software for the Wii was fizzling out?” They'd largely be in the same the same place they are now - running behind thanks to underestimating the cost of HD development, struggling to sell systems because people already got over Wii (the Wii phenomenon was over as of holiday 2010), not attracting third-parties because no one wants to develop for their controller. They'…

• Quote from Marceline Abadeer: “So, despite the amount of support the campaign received, why on earth has Nintendo decided to go in the opposite direction with a Wind Waker remake? :arch:” Because Nintendo doesn't need another Zelda remake on 3DS, and TWW is easier to convert to HD than any other 3D Zelda title. Quote from Xeno: “There's differing opinions about art design and story direction that vary from A to Z within the Zelda community. Those are just opinions of a dime a dozen that honestly…

• Quote from Andross: “If you grew up as a Nintendo fan, your childhood was wrong. Just sayin'.” I thought the victors were the ones who got to write history? Hate to break it to you, but the voice of the market says that all of the Nintendo analogs you listed there are better. Quote from Andross: “Beyond Oasis and Vectorman might not have become long-running franchises (Phantasy Star and Sonic did, of course), but that means they would never become stale and flavourless like Nintendo's lineup.” M…

• Quote from Honey Badger: “So apparently, even though Wii U outsold PS3 and 360, it outsold them in worldwide sales in the their four month launch periods. Interesting. It seems we're making things out to be a bigger problem than they really are.” Except PS3 and 360 were never at less than 20,000 units per week in the U.S. And by never, I really mean never.

• Quote from Bill: “^That's why you should want Nintendo to go second or third party.” Yeah, but then you wouldn't get a Nintendo console with the deal.

• Skyward Sword Abuses the #3

LegendofLex - - Modern Zelda

They gave you six hearts instead of three because it let them adjust the damage enemies deal while maintaining the same "starting" balance. By the end of the game, your 20 hearts aren't as overpowering as they are in other games because the enemies are stronger, but at the beginning, you can still suffer about the same number of hits before you go down.

• Quote from keyaki: “Slow down guys, we don't even know if that is Edward Kenway.” OH WAIT WE DO Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag Debut Trailer Leaked, Consists of a CG Teaser

• You could probably finish it in about 20-25 hours, if you're just going through for the first time.

• I agree with the release order suggestion. You could probably get away with playing Days before KHII, but the impact of certain elements of the story (the Roxas story, for example) is a lot greater when played after.

• Quote from GoopyDoopy: “Like Super Mario Sunshine's Isle Delfino or Paper Mario's Mushroom Kingdom/Rouge Port as apposed to worlds that are made up of colorful blocks/toys like Super Mario Galaxy, NSMB or 3D Land.” Super Mario Bros. 3 is offended. =(

• Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Quote from Bicentennial_Pidgeon: “But if you can play on 1 screen (without the gamepad at all), then you should be able to play on the other screen (the gamepad) only, right?!!?!?!?!” "Able to" =/= "enabled by the developers."

• Quote from Pietro: “Nintendo claims its the law, which is bullshit because neither Sony, nor Microsoft do this. Hell even other entertainment distributors unrelated to video games don't do this. Pretty ridiculous.” SCEE: Based in London, UK. Microsoft Europe: Based in Paris, France. Nintendo Europe: Based in Frankfurt, Germany. I wonder why Nintendo has to comply with German digital mature content sales law, and the others don't? ;D

• |OT| PlayStation 4

Quote from The Blizz Box: “Because they're digital games that can be played on it? I mean, I was able to transfer my WiiWare and Virtual Console games over to my Wii U without a problem. Call me ignorant, but I thought being digital would have made all this more simple?” Have you ever tried running a DOS ROM on a more modern computer/operating system? It's often very problematic - modern processors are WAY faster than DOS-age processors, and the operating environment has totally changed. Similar…

• Quote from Hombre de Mundo: “Here's what you do - It's harsch and uncompromising, but it's simple: It doesn't matter what you believe, if you commit a crime you answer to them in accordance with the laws of the land where you recide. If you want to believe your sky god can wash your hands clean, that's your personal issue that you have to deal with yourself. It doesn't take precedence over the law. Ever.” I don't disagree that the church should be acting in compliance with the law, as I reiterat…

Yeah, I tried out the 3DS version again after playing the Wii U version and had a much better time with it for some reason. Now that I'm more familiar with the touch elements, I found them a lot easier to use on 3DS as well. Quote: “If you choose the Circle Pad Pro you could take out the on screen D-Pad altogether.” UGHHHHHHH no. It's the principle of the thing, like I said. If it were $5 maybe.

• Darksiders

^ How in the world did you get through the last several Zelda games? Or did you not?

Well, I shouldn't say it's options that enhance it as much as the bigger screen size, and the fact that there isn't a giant camera control thing hogging a good third of the interface - which makes the most-used options more accessible. The touch interface is also customizable on Wii U as well, something I don't believe was true on 3DS.

Wii U version >>>>> 3DS version Portability be damned, it's just THAT much more playable with a proper second stick (I refuse to buy a Circle Pad Pro on principle) and significantly better touch screen options. Quote: “The bow is kinda weird. Maybe they will fix this in the full game but in the demo when you tried to move and aim at the same time it was way too sensitive. The character was constantly jerking around and it was really annoying. ” This game has been out for over a year already...

• Have you seen January's NPD numbers? Nintendo needs to be given a hard time, because that kind of performance is flat-out unacceptable. And it's Nintendo's job to create the software ecosystem on Wii U - not third parties. Notice how when Sony announced PS4 there were actual games present?

• The reason why I bring up "mercy and forgiveness" is that Catholics believe that forgiveness is absolute. If a sin is forgiven, you are in a state of grace - it is as if you never committed a crime at all. How does one reconcile that with a situation like this? Believing that someone who commits a grave crime should be forgiven and restored to full life within the community if they seek as much (which I suspect is part of the impetus behind many of the legally insufficient responses to abuse all…