Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Search Results
Search results 1-40 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.
  • I think personally you could probably get a lot of ideas simply by pursuing the Zelda theorizing board. However, more than that I’d say be less looking to what other people want to see in a story and focus more on what you wanna write. Things which interest you. That way you’re more likely to keep at it.

• Spymaster

Ruki - - Creative Corner

When Li approached her to be the head of covert affairs, Arwyn wasn't too surprised. Not really. Especially not when she said she already approached Conall and Baggi. To ask her to be in charge of something which focused on stealth and the like just seemed natural. It was her job before, and Li asking her to take upon the mantle as she got prepared to invade her homeland as far as the wood elf was concerned just formalized things. Putting an official title on things and made organization a lot e…

• As someone who writes bittersweet endings a lot as well, I’d say as long as the happy ending feels deserved and not forced, that is probably the ending you should go with because that’s what people enjoy seeing. To know there is hope and light at the end of a tunnel. And I think a happy ending can have just as much of a catharsis release as a bittersweet one.

• Quote from BackSet: “Hello there. Any of you have advice on pinning down a character's personality? I have pretty much all of my character's personalities pinned down except this one. ” I think there is a lot of questions you can ask yourself to figure out a character. Best way is to just sit down and just start writing them. Sometimes they will take a bit to really come to light and click, and you can always go back ad edit anything which you later realize is out of character for them. But here…

• It's fine! All you need to do is type the @ then start type our name and it will pop up. Then you just click it and voila. Also that's a good idea! There is a huge span of time between when Link goes into the Sacred Realm and when he wakes up. Forgive me for shameless self promotion lol, but with another writer (Shrub) we are actually writing what it was like for Hyrule during those seven years Link was asleep, but it's more told from the POV of two OCs, Ventus and Eli. While there is the canon …

• @TriforceHolder I was unaware that Hylian spellcasters were pretty much wiped out by the Hyrulean Civil War. But I definitely do agree that if there is any major changes you do the series canon or if OCs play a prominent role you should have that on the sticker. I would say also figure out how you believe Hyrule to work also before doing so, and keep true to that. I think there is a lot to be explored with OoT and a lot of different perspectives to look at. I think a straight retelling would be …

• Maybe focus on expressions more and inner thoughts? Carry around a notebook?

• Right, well the ideas sound interesting but it’s hard to give any real good feedback without seeing how they play out. Because a lot of it is execution. I think if you’re passionate about something go for it. If you want further feedback, I’ll be more than happy to provide.

• Well I guess the main feedback I have is what sort of story are you hoping to tell exactly? I get its in the Ocarina of Time universe, but is it a retelling? Are you touching on any particular themes? What do you hope to accomplish?

• Entry 1 OK so the biggest issue I have with this is it is a giant text block. Formatting wise, it can make it hard to read in forums like this. But it is a very interesting and engaging story with an undercurrent of something I can’t quite put my finger on. The idea of a Divine Tree engaging with humans and thinking as one was very interesting, and exploring the way the tree thought was something unique. Entry 2 I … have no idea what’s going on here. There isn’t much set up. There isn’t much eng…

• Might wanna advertise in the chat thread too to remind people.

• Quote from korokpeach: “Oh god I think the stress almost killed me there. Great job everyone! That was a rush! And for the record I did realize Ginger was poisoned after my night action failed. I was trying, and also failing, to make Purple tip their hand a bit too much on the matter after bringing it up. ” Well there wasn’t much to tip lol. I literally explained the reasoning why Mr. Ginger was poisoned and wasn’t really worried about revealing myself because it was standard Mafia play.

• You’d be surprised by how many times people misunderstand roles and what they infer. Like I mentioned before, people interchange the strategy between Desperado and day vig even though the day vig is while almost always town in higher rated bastard games not guaranteed. Plus the day vig is the one who should just shoot the scummiest person. Also tree stump is another usually town but not always role. Then there is the unique roles which are always fun to figure out how likely they are. That and k…

• @gamtos To be fair you did your best and the fact you didn’t tie yourself to either of us was incredible on your part and gave me one less thing to think about. Most of it basically was me trying to think of the most optimal strategy to get myself to end game.

• My plan orginally was to force a showdown toward the end in a claim toward myself and Mr. Pink. However it was clear he wasn’t claiming, so I improvised. Not my best plan ever lol. Also gamtos sure! I’d say the biggest thing which got you lynched was the “potato chips” posts, aka a lot without saying much of anything. You want to be seen as active and establishing conversation, and best way to do that is to ask questions. Ideally ones which allow you to figure out what people are thinking. Like …

• Also some final thoughts for the game. The biggest and foremost thing is I have to say Mafia needs to do is stop bussing teammates. This hasn't been just a problem in this game, but games in general but I think it really crippled an already limited Mafia to a degree it was a miracle we got this far. Mafia is a team sport for starters and to throw them under the bus unless there is literally no other alternative/planned in advance (such as a bomb) to appear town isn't fun and it's obvious you are…

• Alright that was a good last day game from the town and it was down to the wire. I was between waiting Mr. Pink to claim doctor to force counterclaim there or go for Mr. Blonde's. I was also thinking claiming survivor. Honestly I didn't think to claim watcher or tracker, though that would have been the obvious one lol. I was hoping literally to use the knowledge of what I did to explain my way out hoping to point out obvious tactics why I couldn't be Mafia lol

• So as you all know, I work as a journalist for a living at a small paper. Well each year reporters from around the state submit stories to the New York Press Association for the annual New York Better Newspaper contest. This is the entirety of New York submitting - though I will say it’s not the big papers (like the New York Times, The Buffalo News and The Democrat and Chronicle) but the smaller papers. Still it’s a LOT of papers, a LOT of reporters and a LOT of articles to compete against. Each…

• Quote from CielBell: “If I don't want a character approved anymore, should I just delete the thread? He's changed WAY too much since I made the original post, plus I'm an idiot and never finished editing it so he could get approved :/ ” You can just leave it or if you want to remake the character completely, do a rehaul and just edit in everything there.

• Quote from Mozly Alice: “How do you guys create your characters? I'm currently working on one and she's been giving me trouble, I have an idea of who or what she is, but I don't know why she does what she does. ” A lot of time by accident lol but mostly through a concept I have. That or inspiration. But a lot of time they change from what I first had in mind. For example: - I have a character named Ventus who I originally made for a Zelda RPG way back in the day whose main stick was mysterious l…

• Usually what I find is you really need to be annoying to keep reminding people the event/contest is going on. Like reminders every week - personal nudges. Otherwise they'll just ... forget. Like when I was trying to drum up activity for the RPG-Writing Tournament, you probably saw the fact I was posting reminders pretty much every week. I was pinging the Discord channel. I even bothered some people individually. And even afterwards I kept reminding people it was going on. How much time they had …

• Same

• Quote from BackSet-Chan: “I knew that was Ruki's story! (it doesn't state who wrote it during the contets, does it?) I knew it! Sup creators! Anyone have any tips on naming things? ” Oh man I always wondered if I’m that obvious lol. Also to name titles usually what I do is focus on a theme or important object/character in the story, even if it’s not super obvious at first and may need some thoughtful insight. Like The Rumors We Believe is a story where rumors literally have power to influence th…

• [vote]Aqua[/vote]

• Character Building 101

Ruki - - Creative Corner

OK so a bit late, busy week. But finally going to approach my favorite part of story telling: building a character. Now the biggest part when making a character is to keep the following in mind: nature vs. nurture. Nature refers to the intrinsic being of the person - what they are predisposed to. Nurture refers to how their environment has influenced them. Making a character should include elements of both (which is why it’s important to do some at least basic world building). Nature and nurture…

• Quote from SacredSturgeon: “I mean, for me at least I was bothered less by the question of did she died and more by the question of how did she died. :p ” It was murder.

• Thank you to everyone who enjoyed my story and voted for me and congrats to Fallyn Darkheart! Also thanks to all the other writers who put themselves out there, and I hope ya'll do better next time and that my feedback helped even some. This was actually a third rewrite of the story, and I struggled with having the mystery come out in a satisfying way that would be short. I was a bit worried that the fact it was a fiji mermaid would have been lost but thankfully that was caught. When I wrote it …

• Quote from Thal1989: “As far as voting on the writing contest goes, I'm not sure I could do the author's justice, as I find it really hard to critique short stories. I don't read or write short stories, generally because I find it hard to get attached to the characters or what's happening. I prefer a lot of details, and time to get to know the characters, neither of which is easy for a short story, at least that's how I see it. ” As someone who critiques every single story I can understand this.…

• I usually like knowing the general sequence of events which need to happen, but not the specifics. Especially if the characters grow and develop in ways I didn’t expect.

• Roleplay tutorial?

Ruki - - Role Play Discussion

NPCs don’t need to go through the approval process. Some NPCs might travel with a character while others are RP specific.

• Roleplay tutorial?

Yup!

• Roleplay tutorial?

Yup OR you can ask someone to RP with you. Like you can approach someone and be like “I wanna do a heist, are you interested?” or something.

• Through their actions and inner thoughts! Like let’s say your main character is someone who just finished hunting and is cooking meat. They see a pair of eyes watching them from the grass and suddenly a fox’s head pokes out. You can show they’re compassionate/loves animals for example by throwing the fox a scrap of meat, smiling or doing the whistle and patting people do to conjole animals to approach to pet them. Or say they come across ruins overtook by nature. You could have them running thei…

• Roleplay tutorial?

For the ToC the sheet is on the second post here: Character Profile Creation and Approval Manual if you fill out the empty table and just make sure you have details, for powers as long as you don’t go OP you’re fine. The stronger the power (like time control) the more details. It’s why we suggest new people start with someone simpler and grow them through RPs. Easier to get approved. From merchant characters you mean? There isn’t currency and each merchant is different. It involves an RP though.…

• Roleplay tutorial?

OK so the basics are pretty simple. There are two types of roleplays you can join. One is in Tale of Worlds which is where you make a character to fit the RP. The DM is the one who approves the characters and dictates what you need. The second is Tales of Characters where you make a character and get approved by me or seobam. Basically for that you just copy and paste the character outline, fill out the stuff and make sure you are specific for details. So if your character can cast a fireball, y…

• World Building - Basic 101

Ruki - - Creative Corner

So this post is something which will just scratch the surface of everything that goes into it, but there is so much to unpack in all the different subcategories giving a basic overview in of itself is a momentous overtaking and that is world building. At its crux when you world build you should be doing research as discussed earlier, but the question is what should you be writing, researching and including when making your world? After all the more detail you include the more alive it’s going to…

• @Jehanne I can’t wait until you finish your dissertation and start on writing fiction! I know switching the mindset will be hard at first from experience, but it’s a very interesting mental exercise in its own right. What I like most about fiction is you get to decide what you want to say. @MissKatrinaLynne Yeah that would be great! I want this to be a place where people can constructively discuss writing since it’s so large and nuanced with so many things to take into consideration to make it b…

• That’s actually really interesting, and I was going to get into world building too but I would love to talk about that now, especially map making and considering geography. See I’m someone who is shit at geography, I don’t really understand maps. I get the basic understanding of if there is plate tectonics, volcanoes and earthquakes is there, rivers are where settlements are, especially where the soil is fertile. You know basic stuff you kinda go over in school. But I struggle applying that know…

• Research and Writing What You Know

Ruki - - Creative Corner

Well it looks like this thread has gotten quite the response! Which is awesome! The more I can help people with their writing the happier I’ll be. Anyway next thing I would like to address is something I mentioned already and that’s research. Now the important thing with research is besides do it is don’t get too carried away, especially when your magic system is supposed to lean toward soft and not hard. Because that’s a problem for me personally. I need to have an explanation for everything an…

• Quote from Guinea: “Professional writer or not, and your writing style or not, maybe I'm an asshole for having faith in what I write since a lot of people I like enjoy it? You felt disconnected from the pace of my story. A lot of people felt connected to it. That's my point. That's our back and forth. You think writing should be a certain way for it to be enjoyable, but in reality, it can be many different ways and people would still love it. We don't write the same. But you have your fans, and …