Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    BoTW's Atmosphere

Heads up!

Zelda Universe is now on Discord! Join the server: http://discord.gg/zeldauniverse

• A topic which takes a lot of thought, and something noted especially about the genius of Zelda games, especially for me ALttP, and OoT to a lesser degree, is truly its brilliant atmosphere so epic and magical. Some of my own comparative impressions so far:

I'm glad Zelda will perhaps be feeling more refreshingly airy and wet than ever before, like an airy earthy vibrance and spirit after the rain [1] [2] Someone mentioned to me the open world areas of Star Fox Adventures [3], very fitting for a kind of world that feels richly worth exploring.

It's funny how Zelda has changed its main identity all these years from a legendary mystical quest (ALttP) to survivalistic adventure (BoTW,) but I guess the name Zelda is going to continue to mean more and more different things to more and more people.

As the best game to draw inspiration from, ALttP's world feels so richly wet, ancient, epic and adventurous, magically medieval yet oriental, and very airy and mystical in nature, so I'm glad the world of BoTW so far has a few of these aspects--mostly the wet, airy, earthy ancient aspects, a lot less of the magical mysticism and spirit found throughout the atmosphere of ALttP and parts of OoT.

I'm hoping BoTW will have a lot of ancient oriental/colorful content density, like various mystical triggers and symbols to explore what to do with in back-and-forth questing, battling and puzzling, something I find more prominent in the 2D Zeldas. The survivalistic native indian tones are alright, but not quite hitting at home, especially with Zelda becoming more of an RPG now, putting less focus on unique arsenal items and
      more on stats.Any time you add more of one thing, it simply takes away from the others, that's how it works. I'm hoping we do see a lot of wet rich weather in this game to complement the bright weather, a lot of spirited windy animation, movement and temple grey skies, wet archaicism, and enough color and diversity in both passive and interactive objects.

So what are your atmospheric impressions of BoTW so far?

North to the mountain, South to the witches' marsh, West into woods of deep, East upon the desert sea. And in the midst here gallivants a new hero, awakened to a new adventure.

The post was edited 34 times, last by gladefinder ().

• Umm, I hope not. That would suck.

I think maybe you're mixing up inspiration and atmosphere. Yes, all video games get inspiration from earth, that's kind of a no-brainer. Most of the digital images we have of earth are pretty decent, it's the actual earth (most of it) which is pretty flat and boring.

Let's try to stay on-topic, if you have something more constructive to add to the thread :)

North to the mountain, South to the witches' marsh, West into woods of deep, East upon the desert sea. And in the midst here gallivants a new hero, awakened to a new adventure.

The post was edited 4 times, last by gladefinder ().

• Alright, like I said let's stay on topic @Lucretia. Obviously artistic inspiration comes from the earth, that's where the evolution of structure as we know it took place, and is about as vague and unconstructive as you can get. This is a discussion about specific artistic palettes and creative emphases and features, it is why a game like Skyrim feels different from a game like Skyward Sword. If you don't feel qualified to talk more in depth on this topic, don't feel obligated to post about it :)

The post was edited 6 times, last by gladefinder ().

• Alright, mod-speak here - the thread at hand is for discussion regarding Breath of the Wild's artistic and thematic atmosphere, not physical atmosphere.

I understand that this wasn't properly reflected by the title, but the topic creator's intent is clear now. Please abstain from derailing the thread.

Furthermore, low-effort, off-topic posts will be removed on sight.

Thanks.
    • @Lucretia, so all the Zelda games have the same atmosphere to you, including Skyrim also. Interesting to know.

Unfortunately this isn't the case for most game environment artists and developers who hire them, which is why they still have a key job position in the industry. If you want to vouch for games to adopt photo realistic images of earth [1], [2], please find or make an appropriate thread for that instead. Thanks :)

Fortunately from my experience, game artists are continually evolving the way an earth or world should look, changing proportions, colors, shapes, weather patterns and designs in nature, like in the case of The Great Deku tree and in much of Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword. I still remember that yellow forest sky. I think what we find is games are becoming more and more specific in what artistic and atmospheric direction they're going, not really resembling average earth anymore, but making a world more attractive to the human specific, imaginative eye. And there are numerous ways to describe how this has been achieved, in BoTW for one, with things like lighting, reshaping, recoloring and animation, specific processes to create more general effects. For instance, the way a town looks glossed over by rain puddles and distorted lighting, involves various techniques. This is actually an effect I hope to see more of in this game.

There is a lot more to talk about than "this mountain looks like a mountain," but if you don't feel anything constructive coming to mind, don't feel obligated to post something.

Probably a great thread down-the-road when BoTW comes out will be sharing screenshots of cool places and perspectives we find.

The post was edited 21 times, last by gladefinder ().

• I appreciate this thread, and I understand where you are coming from Glade.

gladefinder wrote:

gladefinder wrote:

It's funny how Zelda has changed its main identity all these years from a legendary mystical quest (ALttP) to survivalistic adventure (BoTW,) but I guess the name Zelda is going to continue to mean more and more different things to more and more people.

This summed up a lot for me here... As hype as I am for BotW, the stylistic approach to this I think is a cover-up for the lack of a more mystical quest. I mean, it's interesting to note that they didn't take a more realistic approach to this game if they are going to act more gritty, real, and survivalistic (like MGS3). I think the choice of these kinds of graphics for BotW is their way of keeping the mystical quest feel intact.

The Game's Atmosphere could definitely use a more harkening back to it's medieval roots - I can agree with that 100%. Most of why I like OOT and MM is that they really embrace that vibe and well as taking artistic liberties. I think with BotW - since it is such a gamble, we will see artistic liberties taking place. Now, whether that's with the atmosphere, nature, or the story - we will see.

With the style that they are trying to see with BotW, to be honest, I would actually prefer a more surreal and "unnatural" nature rather than a seeing a pretty normal/natural world through the filter of an interesting graphical approach. Does that make sense?

I mean, Majora's Mask is the best example because it had pretty much the same graphical approach that OOT did, but it's use of COLORS and atmosphere differ greatly. I mean the weeping beauty of Woodfall at night - the purples in the sky! The fight on top of the Clock Tower and magic hour wherever you are in the game look beautiful on top of the surreal, strange world they created.

If they did something more surreal with the nature and atmosphere of BotW, I think it would go a better way - for me at least. And it would help keep Zelda's mystical vibe more than this new survivalist approach. Perhaps....

I don't know. thoughts? I rambled. lol
      :pope: " Midway in our life's journey, I went astray from the straight road and woke to find myself alone in a dark wood."
    • When Nintendo said they were drawing inspiration from Japanese animation for the visuals, they were serious - Zelda games (and Nintendo games in general) tend to have a mix of Western and Eastern qualities and themes on their worlds, so far, Breath of the Wild stands on the more Japanese end in terms of aesthetics.

I think it strikes me more as fitting realism within a fantastic world, lots of detail and interactivity with a marked anime art style.

From a gameplay standpoint, so far it's going for a solitary atmosphere, a vast, living world, without traces of civilization as far as the eye can see, while there are other games like these, BotW still remains apart from them by virtue of its way different aesthetics, the world looking brighter and -logically- more cartoony and stylized.
    • So far, I like it. It feels strangely desolate despite being filled with so much life, and at every turn there's an indication that something happened to this world. There's a certain degree of mystery floating around, in that I very much find myself wondering "what in the world happened to this place?", and I like the way it's all enhanced by the minimalistic use of music. This is a feeling that I hope is maintained throughout the game even once you've met other people and visited towns. Of course, I do want answers eventually, but I'm getting some pretty unique vibes from this world compared to previous Zelda games, and I don't want it to lose that identity. It's extremely different, but in a good way.

Something I do want, though, is variety. Though I want this kind of atmosphere to remain even late to the game, it's not the only thing I want out of this version of Hyrule, and so far, we haven't seen much else. I won't be any more specific by that, because what I want the most, is to be surprised by the things this world has to offer. But I'm really hoping they managed to create unique areas with their own themes and their own pieces of lore waiting to be discovered. I think the atmosphere in the content they've shown is pretty powerful at times, but if it's all that the game has to offer, I could end up losing interest.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Khao ().