Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Store
Wiki
    Should there be more elements of despair in BotW?
    • Starting a new thread as the previous one is older and bit outdated. Now that we have seen more of BotW (more in regards to what we saw since the last thread was created).

With the bits of info we have seen, does it look like this Zelda title will have a darker tone behind it? The world looks to be in ruin - could this give the overall story a greater sense of urgency to help it's denizens out?

Here is the previous thread if you are so inclined to look back:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Needs an Element of Despair

Display Spoiler

Sig made by Rheks

My friend and I just started a Youtube channel. It is nothing groundbreaking, just a couple guys sitting around, drinking and playing games while insulting each other. If you don't mind crude humor, come check us out:
      Thirsty Bros. Gaming
      - YouTube

Please let me know what you think (either in the Youtube comments or on here) as any criticism is welcome!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dark Link Reigns ().

• I thought of something more among the lines of, since a calamity Ganon clearly happened at one point; for us to see what happened via flashbacks, possibly even playable ones, where we see what went through and even if we can try to fight it, for it to end the same way at the end.

Would definitely give a sense of failure and defeat for Link, and despair for the citizens and Zelda; while also allowing for the present game itself to have a more hopeful note, kinda like a "he's back" sort of thing.

Alternatively, to have Calamity Ganon's influence grow as the game progresses (as Link completes dungeons, perhaps?) And have the wildlife and enemies turn much more aggressive and hostile, and the environment to be altered into something akin to the Dark World.
    • I do like the idea of as the game progresses, you see Ganon's negative effect on the overworld growing. It's something that would be hard to handle though - they would either have to tie it into the story (it doesn't overtake more of the world until you reach certain points in the story) or have it just slowly take over based on in game time (like it advances more for each 2 in game days that pass).

Either way, it would an interesting addition to the game. You go to a (relatively) peaceful area then come back to it like days later and it is overrun by monsters and other horrible things from Ganon's spreading influence.

Display Spoiler

Sig made by Rheks

My friend and I just started a Youtube channel. It is nothing groundbreaking, just a couple guys sitting around, drinking and playing games while insulting each other. If you don't mind crude humor, come check us out:
      Thirsty Bros. Gaming
      - YouTube

Please let me know what you think (either in the Youtube comments or on here) as any criticism is welcome!
    • I do hope that this game does instill a sense of dread that we haven't had in other games. Pretty much every Zelda game just gives you control of Link and he just sets out on his heroic quest - no fear, no hesitation, nothing!

Granted, this is why he has the ToC, but it would still be nice to see Link struggle to overcome things instead of just blindly charging in with no cares in the world.

Display Spoiler

Sig made by Rheks

Thirsty Bros. Gaming
      - YouTube

• Well, I'd say the problem of the lack of these elements is because of Ninteno's reactionaryn ature and failing to innovate with the franchise. TWW seems like a really happy game until you realize its actually a very melancholy game.

After that the serie kindais jsut what it is. PRevious games feltm ore fleshed out in what they were. TP tries to do those things itsm ostly a superficial retrad and SS is jsut a game limited by its hardware and feels constrained by it.

Breath, I don't see having this issue.

Dance puppetboy if you do a good job
      Then they'll want you again, give it all that you got
      Show them the joy and the pain and the ending
      Then do it again and we'll all start pretending
      To pay more attention to what's aforementioned
      As you bob your head 'cause you're not even listening.
      A very small few of you even get meanings
      But laugh, clownboy, laugh 'cause it's always so pleasing
    • i would like to see if there is a villain aside from calamity ganon, or to see if at some point ganon becomes characterised.

i like calamity ganon don't get me wrong, but it would be interesting if this is just some nondescript lovecraftian horror thing or if someone is aiding him, and if so, it would be great for that person to actually be menacing. if you want dread, make a terrifying villain then, zelda has mostly lacked that, Demise, Zant and Ghirahim never had the charm and dread brought on by OoT Ganondorf, Majora's Mask or even WW Ganondorf.

what would make someone really dreadful is to seem them actually ruthlessly kill Link or hell one of his companions, to really give the character weight and make them worthy of being feared, the way we saw the effects of MM on characters and saw them characterised in their despair, in a way that Ghirahim could never match for instance.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lucretia ().

• Lucretia wrote:

i would like to see if there is a villain aside from calamity ganon, or to see if at some point ganon becomes characterised.

i like calamity ganon don't get me wrong, but it would be interesting if this is just some nondescript lovecraftian horror thing or if someone is aiding him, and if so, it would be great for that person to actually be menacing. if you want dread, make a terrifying villain then, zelda has mostly lacked that, Demise, Zant and Ghirahim never had the charm and dread brought on by OoT Ganondorf, Majora's Mask or even WW Ganondorf.

what would make someone really dreadful is to seem them actually ruthlessly kill Link or hell one of his companions, to really give the character weight and make them worthy of being feared, the way we saw the effects of MM on characters and saw them characterised in their despair, in a way that Ghirahim could never match for instance.
      I like this - I always feel like Link doesn't really have that motivation to go and stop what is happening - especially in OoT (he just wakes up and gets thrust into his quest by some ancient tree).

I feel like Link losing people he has relied on during is quest or even grown attached to would instill that sense of despair - Link is losing all he holds dear and he has to stop it all from happening.

Display Spoiler

Sig made by Rheks

Thirsty Bros. Gaming
      - YouTube

• So basically, what Twilight Princess failed was originally planned to do.

There seems to be more Zelda interaction in this story.
      It's "OAK-UH-REENA."

"I'm sorry you have to waste your time with these little brats when you must be tired from doing all the important stuff you do!" -_-;;

Honestly, I gotta say- there hasn't been "the best Zelda" yet. Here's to hoping Zelda U finally takes the title.
    • This game is literally shaping up to be everything I hoped for in a Zelda game. When this drops, I will be dead to the world - I can't wait to see the story behind this.

Display Spoiler

Sig made by Rheks

Thirsty Bros. Gaming
      - YouTube