Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Store
Wiki
    People who found Twilight Princess unfavorable, how do you feel about it now?
    • Furie wrote:

I didn't really care for the game when it first came out compared to how I felt playing past Zelda games. Don't get me wrong, the game is great but it just didn't get me as addicted as previous Zelda games. Of the Zelda series, it was, and still is one of my least favorites. However, it is definitely better than a great many other games I have played.

I felt meh about it when it first released. In the context of Zelda games I still feel meh about it. But I do appreciate it more than I used to. It aged well and is still worth re-playing.
      that describes pretty well how I feel about it. It was a fine, fun game but I didn't get some of the feelings I get When playing some of the other titles. It's something I have a hard time describing and I'm sure it's different for everyone.
    • To be honest, I thought Twilight Princess wasn't that great and incredibly derivative of OOT when it came out. I liked it but felt after WW it was a big step back. I only ever played the Wii version, I skipped the GC version because I wanted to play it with motion controls...

The HD re-release has to be the best thing that could have happened because I finally played the game without it being flipped and that makes a big difference to me. I didn't realize how much it would but it seems much more visually pleasing to me the other way around. It's nice to have things the way they were meant to be. The lack of motion controls and the sparse HUD are also huge improvements.

But most of all, years later, without the hype or anything to distract me... I found the story a little more gripping than the first time I played 10 years ago. I forgot how great Midna was. Also, a big detractor to the original for me was how blurry/fuzzy it looked and the clarity here really helps. No, it's not as pretty as WWHD but it is pretty.

I really am surprised how much more I enjoyed the game this time.

... Don't get me wrong, I still see its flaws but I don't think I gave it enough credit the first time around.

Post by BarbaroiBarubary ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • I got the Gamecube version a while back and only booted that up recently and I was surprised the farm tutorial wasn't as long as I thought it was, it was long but not too long, that was always the biggest turn off for me going back to this game.

I remember the hype, it was insane and honestly the game doesn't really live up to those first three epic trailers, but back when it first came out I had a hell of a time with it on the Wii, if I didn't I wouldn't have spent 100+ hours on it.

So the gamecube version is fun enough, it's nice to see the world as it was meant to be without being mirrored although a Gamecube game on my widescreen TV does feel small when it's a big game technically but it's alright. However I just booted up my old Wii file on the Wii U and damn it I forgot how much fun I had just roaming the field killing everything in sight. :)

I don't have the HD version yet but I figure I will soon just to complete the Twilight Princess 'trilogy' that I've started up. The Wii version, yeah on the Wii U it does kinda look blurry on the TV but it's still visible enough for me to over look.

My biggest gripe I originally had with the game would be the similarities to Ocarina of Time that seem unoriginal at some points, but I wonder why I said that when the dungeons are so different and the field is so much more larger. I'm still not too fond of Link's boring little farm friends but eh, they're minor characters when Midna shows up who is still an excellent character.

TL;DR: I still enjoy it as much as I did 10 years ago, of the five 3D Zelda titles I'd rank it below Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker but that's just because of nostalgia I guess. I have also been replaying Skyward Sword before I started Twilight Princess again in anticipation for Breath of the Wild and... I loved Skyward Sword when it first came out but now it's so tedious going back to it, but that's another can of worms entirely.
    • It's okay, but it's kind of like they were trying to make an anime movie/show out of Zelda which is what I didn't like about it. I could've dealt better with the game and its slower emptier feeling to Zelda if they didn't infuse it with so much filler story content. Majora's Mask is probably the best as far as creating that deep story experience, they give you a tiny bit and in return you get a lot, a lot of world and interesting beings and creatures, while Ocarina of Time is imo the best executed mandatory story: simple, sentimental, short and sweet, and the beauty of music really helped it along a progressive adventure. When I consider that Ocarina of Time just did everything better yet simpler than Twilight Princess, the simple and subtle magic of its exploration and progression, sure I can still say Twilight Princess is okay, but it's not one of those games I ever feel like replaying. Just too boring, like listening to the type of people who tell detailed stories which have no ending and go in circles because they just feel like talking. OoT and MM didn't feel like talking, they were just interesting, magical, and could do it in so many less words. Developing a good game is often about doing just this, ime. I fail to find as many good games these days. I think the story of Undertale would be a recent really good example of this in story. While the game is boring, the story and music is beautiful, lovely, sentimental, and simple. When something is done "in less words" it refers to this simplicity of a game overall, not just its story. George Lucas filmed a lot, but also cut a lot, because he could figure out what was the best he could give, simplifying a better execution. Perhaps Nintendo shouldn't spend all these years of development adding more and more to the messes they create, 5 years in, but spend more time to actually stop, analyze, and pick and choose from their best ideas, to spend more time looking at the overall qualitative picture and avoid making something convoluted and repetitive.

North to the mountain, South to the witches' marsh, West into woods of deep, East upon the desert sea. And here in the midst gallivants a new hero? Awakened is he to a new adventure.

The post was edited 35 times, last by gladefinder ().

• Zeldaisthebest! wrote:

lol one of the worst Zelda games ever haha
      Some of us think this yes. :)

Even tho me and Hylian_Pi has a difference of a opinion of what TPHD did for TP (I think it made up for some of the stuff I had deep wrongs they did, like using a color other than brown, whilst he thinks it got even worse), we both agree in that it is the worst Zelda to date.

I've already stated why I think its a bad Zelda game in my earlier post but almost every little thing I can think of is bad.
      I'm a Zelda fan, that is the only reason I've completed that horrible game.
    • Hylian_Pi wrote:

I think it's the worst zelda in the series. I still like it, but I've always found it to be the bottom of the list and I felt much more strongly about that after TPHD, when they removed half of what made the game fun, wiimote controls.
      I wouldent call it the worst overall, but possibly the worst 3D zelda. TP has a horrible story and mediocre gameplay, but its still better then triforce heros

My Ocarina Collection (newest one excluded)

The post was edited 2 times, last by astroninja1 ().

• I didn't like it then at first time and don't like it now either. It is a set of linear chores with annoying cutscenes interrupting the boredom. No challenge anywhere except the frustrating roll goal minigame. Music sounds bad and graphics are ugly. story and characters are bland. Trying to be funny in horrible way, like the red butt monkey and Zant. There's absolutely nothing in the game that I like, it's one of the worst games I know. As what I'm concerned, it's on par with the Cdi Zelda games.
    • gladefinder wrote:

It's okay, but it's kind of like they were trying to make an anime movie/show out of Zelda which is what I didn't like about it. I could've dealt better with the game and its slower emptier feeling to Zelda if they didn't infuse it with so much filler story content. Majora's Mask is probably the best as far as creating that deep story experience, they give you a tiny bit and in return you get a lot, a lot of world and interesting beings and creatures, while Ocarina of Time is imo the best executed mandatory story: simple, sentimental, short and sweet, and the beauty of music really helped it along a progressive adventure. When I consider that Ocarina of Time just did everything better yet simpler than Twilight Princess, the simple and subtle magic of its exploration and progression, sure I can still say Twilight Princess is okay, but it's not one of those games I ever feel like replaying. Just too boring, like listening to the type of people who tell detailed stories which have no ending and go in circles because they just feel like talking. OoT and MM didn't feel like talking, they were just interesting, magical, and could do it in so many less words. Developing a good game is often about doing just this, ime. I fail to find as many good games these days. I think the story of Undertale would be a recent really good example of this in story. While the game is boring, the story and music is beautiful, lovely, sentimental, and simple. When something is done "in less words" it refers to this simplicity of a game overall, not just its story. George Lucas filmed a lot, but also cut a lot, because he could figure out what was the best he could give, simplifying a better execution. Perhaps Nintendo shouldn't spend all these years of development adding more and more to the messes they create, 5 years in, but spend more time to actually stop, analyze, and pick and choose from their best ideas, to spend more time looking at the overall qualitative picture and avoid making something convoluted and repetitive.
      star wars is bad and using anecdotes as an example is a poor way to make a point. majors mask is a very bad zelda game, the characters were dull and lifeless, a few little side stories yes but it's cryptic and cliche and doesn't give you any sense of heartbreak. im not saying tp is best zelda but at least the characyers had something called personalities.

The post was edited 1 time, last by FrozenDragon: Rude. ().