Hey there. readers! Hope you all had a pleasant Christmas and are enjoying the new year so far. You know what could make this year more awesome for you? Writing for Zelda Universe, obviously.
If you’re a passionate writer and Zelda fan, then I have two exciting opportunities for you depending on what style you wish to express your love for the series on our glorious website.
First up, we have open positions for news reporters. With Twilight Princess HD edging ever closer to its launch date, it’s a very exciting time to get started as a reporter as we’ll be going more and more in-depth with details of the game. Of course, we’re also expecting to see great things from the mysterious Zelda Wii U this year, and you can be an integral part in sharing the exciting news with your fellow Zelda fans.
We also want you to help us cover general Nintendo news, from new hardware and products to business strategies and Reggie’s wacky shenanigans. There’s always amazing things coming from the community, too, with projects ranging from impressive fan games, realistic replicas, parody videos and mind-blowing speed runs.
Basically, I’m offering you an excuse to read and write about Zelda all the time. Do you need further convincing?
Weekly feature contributor
We also want to expand our content on the home page and get a lot more involved with the Zelda community this year. We’re going to revive Music Monday and Fanart Friday very soon, and I’m also excited to announce that we’ll soon be introducing new weekly features like Trivia Tuesday, Throwback Thursday and more in the near future.
This means we want you to explore this amazing fandom and help us find all of the incredible pieces of art and music out there. We also want you to do your homework and research some of the most interesting and little-known facts about Zelda, and even get personal with some of your most precious memories with the series over the years. Sound good? You know it does.
How to apply
Please only apply if you:
- have previous writing experience.
- are aged 18 or over.
- are fluent, experienced and creative in your use of the English language.
And you can:
- write a minimum of two news articles per week.
- remain committed to this position for a decent amount of time.
- keep in frequent contact with the rest of the staff using our online chat room (you are expected to co-ordinate with us as a team, not independently).
- be willing to step in for our weekly features if required (Music Monday, Fanart Friday, and possibly more in the future).
Does that sound like you? Great! Send us your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header “News Reporter Application“ or “Weekly Feature Contributor Application“. Here’s what you need to include:
- a detailed (but not unnecessarily long) overview of your previous working experience. We want to know about your writing experience above all.
- samples of your work (via links or attachments):
- If you are applying for the news reporter position, we’re most interested to see articles you have produced. Obviously news articles would be ideal, but feature articles are also welcome.
- For the weekly feature contributor position, we’re most interested to see original work. Any feature articles you have published, but also editorials, theories, fan fiction, etc.
- For both positions, you are also free to submit anything else that demonstrates your writing talent, such as essays, blogs, fictional works, etc.
It may take us a little while for us to select the most suitable applicants, so please don’t feel discouraged if we don’t respond straight away (and please don’t spam us with repeated entries; it won’t help you!). It may take up to a week or more before we pick you.
If both positions appeal to you, note that we’re flexible on how the news team can contribute to the site. As a reporter you are still welcome to try your hand at weekly features, and as a feature writer you are free to have a crack at writing news articles.
We’re very professional about what we do here, but we also have a ton of fun while doing it! We have a highly talented and very friendly team ready to welcome you. Please note that this is a voluntary position, so staff are not paid.
Update (March 10): We still have spaces open for more feature contributors! Use the instructions above to apply. If purely opinionated content isn’t your thing, then you are still welcome to opt for the news reporter position, but there are fewer vacancies available.