We all know how amazing Skyward Sword is, and many of you are still progressing through (I know I am), but what do we do about the bug that could prevent us from finishing the game? Nintendo has released instructions on how to avoid making this mistake, but none on how they plan on fixing it for the future. Warning this post contains spoilers!
This issue is that players may not be able to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game is saved after completing that sequence of events, the game file will no longer be able to progress. Your only option at that point would be starting from an earlier save, or starting the game over. However, now this mistake can be avoided, thanks to Nintendo’s instructions.
The original sequence of events is laid out like this:
1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to retrieve the song of the Thunder Dragon.
2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron.
3. Complete the Thunder Dragon’s event, and receive his song.
4. Before heading to the forest or volcano regions, speak with Golo in the mine again.
5. At this point, the forest and volcano events will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.
However, doing so will ruin your chances of completing the game. Instead, here are solutions:
- Collecting the Fire and Water Dragons songs BEFORE the Thunder Dragon’s song will NOT ALLOW THIS ISSUE TO OCCUR. In addition, talking to Golo in Lanayru caves will prevent this issue.
- If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
There is currently no other fix to this problem, so for now alerting all players of the solution is the best way to ensure everyone gets to enjoy the ending of Skyward Sword. But always remember to save your game regularly, especially before completing the final boss battle!